Olympus trackball

Archie

03 Apr 2021, 22:36

Seems there's some attraction to the old devices here... :-) My new addition to the collection: https://forum.trackballs.eu/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=109

Burton

12 Apr 2021, 13:52

Replenishment is really worthy. Congratulations on a wonderful purchase!

Archie

12 Apr 2021, 19:26

Thank you! Actually, I'm still using it till now: really well-made device.

rhaberkorn

19 May 2021, 14:49

It looks awesome. Actually, I think it would harmonize well with the brutalist style of my keyboards.
What about resolution? This is a shutter-wheel trackball. Is it usable on high resolution displays?
The membrane keys are probably not ideal, though.

Archie

19 May 2021, 18:25

Resolution is noted in the review: 216 ppr / 49 cpi. Low by modern standards, but numbers are not exclusive property here: with freely spinning ball, different usage technique is used. You can flick the ball in desired direction, and stop it when the pointer has reached intended zone. In fact, quite usable even on modern systems.

As for buttons - I'm using ones belonging to my notebook's touchpad instead. Sounds bizarre, but actually convenient.

rhaberkorn

20 May 2021, 14:08

Archie wrote:
19 May 2021, 18:25
As for buttons - I'm using ones belonging to my notebook's touchpad instead. Sounds bizarre, but actually convenient.
Doesn't that mean you need two hands to operate it? You wrote so in your article.
Anyway, I will try to get one and see for myself.

rhaberkorn

20 May 2021, 14:17

The Measurement Systems XCL-25C is also made of metal. How do they compare to one another?
Somehow, I just need a vintage trackball made out of chunky metal. ;-)
Industrial trackballs (the ones that are usually installed into public terminals) might also be an option. Unfortunately they sell for ridiculously high prices.

Archie

20 May 2021, 15:38

rhaberkorn wrote:
20 May 2021, 14:08
Doesn't that mean you need two hands to operate it? You wrote so in your article.
It's just one of possibilities. Of course one-hand usage is possible as well.
rhaberkorn wrote:
20 May 2021, 14:17
The Measurement Systems XCL-25C is also made of metal. How do they compare to one another?
Approximately, like an elephant to guinea pig. Giant MS with 2.5" ball have cast aluminium case, not stamped steel like Olympus. Bearing systems and movement feel are also totally different.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”