Programmable Mouse?

didja

08 Jun 2012, 09:14

Have any of you successfully used the Razer Naga's 12 or Mad Catz Cyborg Rat MMO 7's 13 programmable buttons for launching applications?
IIRC the first Naga didn't allow it because it was just like pressing numbers on your numpad, but I'm hoping the new versions do.

ImageImage

off

08 Jun 2012, 11:33

there's always autohotkey..

if they indeed send keyboard 'keys' and not mousekeys over #5

CeeSA

08 Jun 2012, 13:25

iirc razer release a newer driver / software to programm all buttons (incl the numpad buttons) of the naga.

didja

08 Jun 2012, 15:34

I haven't confirmed this but I believe on the first version, the number pad on the mouse sent the same scan codes as the numpad keys on your keyboard. They are different than the number row above alpha keys on a keyboard, so you might be able to remap on a tenkeyless. Not sure. If there was a good way to launch apps with or custom map with AHK without affecting keyboard number keys, it could be an awesome mouse.
Last edited by didja on 08 Jun 2012, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

08 Jun 2012, 15:36

Whoah, if that is true your moss could send Unicode ÜMLAUTs!

Whoops, mouse.

Damn auto suggest. Damn iPad.

Keyboard trivia: embedded numpads on Realforce 87U, IBM Model M mini, DealExtreme HHKB Killah, and every other embedded numpad keyboard I've tried sends numpad scan codes.

didja

08 Jun 2012, 16:21

Per their guide the Naga has 2 modes - Basic in which the thumb grid acts like your number row above alpha keys and NUM which they act like your numpad.

Their software lets you setup macros for the buttons but I don't see how it could be done without affecting your numpad or numrow.

"USING BASIC [123] AND ADVANCED [NUM] MODES
The Razer Naga provides a 12-button [1-12] Thumb Grid in two modes: Basic [123] and
Advanced [Num]. To change between the Basic [123] and Advanced [Num] mode,
simply use the switch at the bottom of your Razer Naga.

In Basic [123] mode, the 12-button thumb grid works the same as a keyboard’s
numerical keys. These buttons allow you to replicate the action bar of most games onto
the thumb grid buttons.

In the Advanced [Num] mode, the 12-button thumb grid works the same as a keypad’s
numerical keys. These buttons allow you to have quicker access to in-game commands
without having the need to reach for the keypad.
Note: Pressing the “Shift” key while using the Basic [123] mode will change the thumb grid buttons to their
secondary functions (for example: !,@,# instead of 1,2,3)."

http://dl.razerzone.com/master-guides/N ... MG-ENG.pdf

off

08 Jun 2012, 18:59

Test with AHK if they send EXACTLY the same stuff over; install autohotkey, create a text-file containing #InstallKeybdHook and #Persistent and give it the .AHK extension; start it; doubleclick the tray icon; click 'view' 'key history and script info'; press F5 (so you'll have a reference point in this list); press one of those naga buttons while they are in numpad-mode; press F5 (so that key will be logged between the first pair of F5's); press that key on the numpad (with numlock on); compare the lines exactly.
What I'm hoping for is that there is a difference there through for instance AHK identifying it as 'a' for artificial, which is probably a tall order; maybe there's another difference.

didja

08 Jun 2012, 20:09

Well I might have to buy one to test this. Unless someone else here has a Naga?

off

08 Jun 2012, 20:36

didja wrote:Well I might have to buy one to test this. Unless someone else here has a Naga?
Anybody with a Razer Naga willing to test?
That does complicate things.. Not sure if that would be worth the shot, guessing not actually.
One that does it off-the-shelf would be ideal; GLWHunt!

KyesaRRi

09 Jun 2012, 21:15

I have an original naga doing nothing on my desk because I hate its sensor. If someone wants to compile a ahk script for me I could run some tests when I wake up today.

I will have a re read of this thread when I get up, been a big night after work. :oops:

off

09 Jun 2012, 23:18

KyesaRRi wrote:I have an original naga doing nothing on my desk because I hate its sensor. If someone wants to compile a ahk script for me I could run some tests when I wake up today. I will have a re read of this thread when I get up
No need for a full reread, rest up and just follow the directions in this post, that's the full script that should give the important info. ;)
Afterwards ofcourse there's the challenge of creating a script that works with any app he might use, and making sure it runs like lightning, and in the first place getting the keys to be recognised separately from the physical keyboard keys; but that's business for later.

KyesaRRi

10 Jun 2012, 06:51

The keyboard and mouse are reporting exactly the same keypresses:

Keyboard "1"
31 002 d 0.36 1
31 002 u 0.14 1

Naga "1" in 123 Mode
31 002 d 2.28 1
31 002 u 0.09 1

Keyboard Numpad "7"
24 047 d 0.11 Num 7
24 047 u 0.16 Num 7

Naga "7" in Num Mode w' Numlock ON
24 047 d 1.33 Num 7
24 047 u 0.13 Num 7

Naga / Keyboard report exactly the same thing with numlock on / off.

Edit: The naga mouse shows up as a "HID Keyboard Device" in Device Manager as well as a HID-compliant mouse.

The MX Revolution was perfect for this, iirc the logitech software that came with the mouse would allow you to set up application launches per each button. In games you could have Shift / Control / Alt modifiers on each mouse button (it had a thumb wheel with 3 different states, standard back and forward buttons, a dedicated search button that was re bindable and a side scrolling mouse wheel plus your standard left / right click and mouse 3 on the wheel.

off

10 Jun 2012, 17:21

What can I say, that smells.
Perhaps there's a way to detect the device that sent it, and separate that from the other device (physical keyboard); I know there are dll extensions for autohotkey for advanced HID input monitoring/modification, but have no experience myself.
Probably you could do that without extensions if your keyboard or mouse has a special driver, i.e. is not identified as a regular 'hid keyboard device' but as for instance a 'dell multimedia keyboard' or somesuch.

Another option would be to utilize chording (ManaUser wrote an awesome script for that, see blahman's MouseWheelEmulator (reposted/edited here by me) for an example for how to use it; it allows you to make any button have an extra function when pressed at the same time as another, without sacrificing it's regular function), or to sacrifice an easy to use button (on your mouse probably) as a 'shift-type' button; this would ofcourse also apply to your numpad, but shouldn't interfere with it's regular functioning.
Cheers KyesaRRi, quite helpful.

rhune

05 Jul 2012, 22:37

I own an MMO 7 and I am fairly certain you could do that but I haven't actually tried it..

The software allows you to record keypresses or macros and assign them to any key on the mouse, so I don't see why it wouldnt work. I can mess with it when I get some time.

kalrykh

11 Jul 2012, 12:54

May have already been posted... Didn't read whole thread, in a hurry. Razers updated driver lets you map the keys to whatever you want.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”