Best Material for Replacing Keyboard ‘Feet’

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

20 Jul 2012, 23:20

I have an original AEK on which a couple of the ‘feet’ have come off entirely.  The two that are left are in a bad way. As such, it has a tendency move around slightly when typing.

Any recommendations on what I should use to replace the feet?  Blu-Tack would work, but seems less than ideal.

Edit: I just realised I butterfingered this into the “Mice and Other Input Devices” subforum. That’s what I get for trying to do this on my phone. Sorry. Could the mods please move it?

User avatar
damorgue

20 Jul 2012, 23:23

I get small hemispheres in a very soft type of rubber, but those only work for cases which are flat underneath.
I made a temporary solution (that became permanent because I am lazy) which was rubber bands on feet that you can flip in or out, but those are harder to fix.

User avatar
Maarten

20 Jul 2012, 23:49

I always steal those 10mm half hemispherical rubber feet that come under various appliances (keyboards, modems, routers, audio equipment) whenever i see those kind of thing being discarded. You could probably buy those new somewhere, they are awesome!

Also, you can check IKEA... over here they have self-service shelves with spare parts where you can also find these kind of things for freeee (they use em as drawer stopper in some models)

edit; My favorites looks like this only half as small and sometimes also come in clear rubber;
http://www.westfloridacomponents.com/HW ... 9.6mm.html

User avatar
yakill

21 Jul 2012, 00:13

Sugru might be worth a look.
http://sugru.com/

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

21 Jul 2012, 16:42

Thanks for the replies. I think that Sugru might actually be perfect, and I’d also have enough left over to fix my broken iMate and a couple of USB cables that are coming apart. I hadn’t heard of it before, but it looks great.

Findecanor

21 Jul 2012, 17:27

Furniture feet should be available in every hardware store, but not every store has feet that are made of rubber and they may be too thick for a keyboard.

User avatar
fossala
Elite +1

21 Jul 2012, 17:34

If you're in the uk, you can get some good ones from maplins.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/stick-on-feet-1840

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

22 Jul 2012, 21:36

fossala wrote:If you're in the uk, you can get some good ones from maplins.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/stick-on-feet-1840
Those square stick-on feet look ideal, even though they’re not the same shape as the ones being replaced. That said, I think I’ll give Sugru a go and see how it works out — I’m pretty intrigued by it.

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 00:47

I'm using it for my Pure miniUSB hack.

Also Egrips is great. I'll post details you know where when I get a chance.

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

24 Jul 2012, 15:53

Where’s “You Know Where”?

User avatar
fossala
Elite +1

24 Jul 2012, 16:02

I presume reddit. I looked into getting some for my HHKB, they are very expensive to import to the UK.

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

24 Jul 2012, 16:40

fossala wrote:I looked into getting some for my HHKB, they are very expensive to import to the UK.
F— me. Shipping for one small pack of eGrips was $37(!). I’ll email them later on and see if they can do it more reasonably. It shouldn’t cost more than $5 to post it to the UK.

Findecanor

24 Jul 2012, 16:50

fossala wrote:If you're in the uk, you can get some good ones from maplins.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/stick-on-feet-1840
Unfortunately, they ship only to UK and Ireland.

There are lots and lots of sellers on eBay that sell rubber feet intended for various laptops, furniture etc. and which ship abroad.

itlnstln

24 Jul 2012, 23:31

Shelf liner. Always shelf liner. Cheap and works great. You can get a roll for about $1 USD.

Limmy

26 Jul 2012, 03:22

Be careful when you use shelf liners. HHKB's case is painted plastic and shelf liners shouldn't be used on painted surface.

Here is what happened to my HHKB. It was in an air conditioned office all the time.
DSC_2207.jpg
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3590725
DSC_2207.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 11155 times
DSC_2213.jpg
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3590725
DSC_2213.jpg (87.34 KiB) Viewed 11155 times

User avatar
002
Topre Enthusiast

26 Jul 2012, 03:35

Are you sure it's painted?
That effect looks more like some sort of oily residue has come off the shelf liner...

Limmy

26 Jul 2012, 03:48

Yes. I am sure. I rubbed the the outer casing with isopropyl and black paint came off.

Edit: I rubbed on the surface where the liner wasn't touched.

More pics here:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3590725

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

26 Jul 2012, 10:56

The AEK(I) in question isn’t painted, so it shouldn’t have a problem with paint being removed by the shelf-liner, but I’d be a bit concerned about whatever it is that caused the paint loss attacking the desk itself. I hadn’t realised that the HHKB was painted either, so that’s something new I learned.

itlnstln

26 Jul 2012, 21:43

I've had that happen using shelf liner. It's the bottom of the 'board; I don't care. If you're using isopropyl on ABS, it isn't paint you see, it's plastic.

User avatar
Igthorn

27 Jul 2012, 12:45

Plastics/rubbers can interact when in contact. I have a spare rubberdome keyboard incase of emergencies that has the cable wrapped around the keyboard. The cable has melted groves into keyboard and some of the keys. The keyboard has basically just sat for a few years with no movement.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m03909.htm

User avatar
quake4mhger

28 Jul 2012, 08:14

yakill wrote:Sugru might be worth a look.
http://sugru.com/
Anyone try to put sugru on keycap, to have more grip? Thank you for the link :D

Limmy

29 Jul 2012, 16:24

itlnstln wrote:I've had that happen using shelf liner. It's the bottom of the 'board; I don't care. If you're using isopropyl on ABS, it isn't paint you see, it's plastic.
You may not care about the damages on the bottom, but haven't you considered that others might care? It is a damage that cannot be repaired, and I but most would like to avoid it if possible.

If you have seen the photo in the link in my previous post you would have seen that I tried the rubbing on the inside too. No black marks like the one I got from rubbing the outer side. Unfinished ABS plastic is pretty resistant to Isopropyl while some paint aren't. ( http://www.geotechenv.com/Reference_Pag ... _table.pdf )

If you want to correct someone, please get the facts straight. I still think HHKB is painted on the outside because of the isopropyl rub test.

itlnstln

30 Jul 2012, 02:04

Limmy wrote:
itlnstln wrote:I've had that happen using shelf liner. It's the bottom of the 'board; I don't care. If you're using isopropyl on ABS, it isn't paint you see, it's plastic.
You may not care about the damages on the bottom, but haven't you considered that others might care? It is a damage that cannot be repaired, and I but most would like to avoid it if possible.

If you have seen the photo in the link in my previous post you would have seen that I tried the rubbing on the inside too. No black marks like the one I got from rubbing the outer side. Unfinished ABS plastic is pretty resistant to Isopropyl while some paint aren't. ( http://www.geotechenv.com/Reference_Pag ... _table.pdf )

If you want to correct someone, please get the facts straight. I still think HHKB is painted on the outside because of the isopropyl rub test.
If it wasn't then plastic itself then was residue from the liner or some other dirt. The case isn't painted otherwise you would have had reisdue when you rubbed the inside. THAT should be obvious.

User avatar
Input Nirvana

30 Jul 2012, 07:04

On ebay for the last 2 years there have been a ton of IBM KPD8923 black keyboards that have the marks on the case from the cable being wrapped around it and 'melting' into the case.

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

30 Jul 2012, 09:05

quake4mhger wrote:Anyone try to put sugru on keycap, to have more grip?
I can’t see any reason why that wouldn't work, but you’d end up with a rubbery-feeling keycap unless you put on a *very* thin layer.

An experiment — and accompanying write-up with photos — is called for.
input nirvana wrote:On ebay for the last 2 years there have been a ton of IBM KPD8923 black keyboards that have the marks on the case from the cable being wrapped around it and 'melting' into the case.
I’ve seen that too, though it wasn’t on IBM keyboards. I can’t remember the particular brand, but the keyboards were at a place I used to work and had been sitting in a dry storage cupboard for a couple of years, and all had a ‘groove’ where the cable had been wrapped around. It’s surely the result of some kind of chemical interaction, since I’m pretty certain that it couldn’t have been due solely to compressive force applied by the cable.

User avatar
002
Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2012, 09:18

input nirvana wrote:On ebay for the last 2 years there have been a ton of IBM KPD8923 black keyboards that have the marks on the case from the cable being wrapped around it and 'melting' into the case.
Yep I noticed the same effect on my Chicony 5181 from 5k177.

Image

User avatar
Charlie_Brown_MX

30 Jul 2012, 10:04

Photos like that make me glad my keyboards have detachable cables.

Limmy

30 Jul 2012, 13:37

itlnstln wrote:If it wasn't then plastic itself then was residue from the liner or some other dirt. The case isn't painted otherwise you would have had reisdue when you rubbed the inside. THAT should be obvious.
Obviously you don't read. Please read a couple of posts in between if you want to discuss, that is least one can do before joining discussion.

The possibility of that black stuff was residue of the liner has been ruled out in the initial experiment and I even mentioned it a couple of posts ago. And of course it is totally possible that it is painted outside of the casing not inside.

Here is TLDL version:
I rubbed it where the liner has not been touched and still black/grey stuff came out. Now let me know what is obvious, please.

User avatar
002
Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2012, 13:52

Limmy you need to chill out man. You're wound up tighter than an eight day clock.

User avatar
002
Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2012, 14:01

Oh and for the record, I have it on good authority that some Topre cases *are* painted.
This is to hide weld marks apparently, but I'm sure that overall aesthetics also play a part.

Post Reply

Return to “Mice & other input devices”