Kensington slimblade scrolling speed reset on restart

zulios

02 Aug 2012, 16:41

Hello everyone,

I am now a happy trackball user with my slimblade. The only matter I get is that after every restart, I need to set up my wheel scrolling speed, and I can't understand why.

Have any of you experienced the same problem ? Is there any turnaround for this ? I can consider any solution, this is for my personal pc. Using Windows 7 professional edition 64 bit.

woody
Count Troller

02 Aug 2012, 21:14

Something doesn't make sense here. Slimblade does not have wheel, you scroll with the ball.
Also I don't think scrolling speed is changeable, so maybe you have purely software issues.
Try getting rid of the drivers, it should be usable without them.

Daniel

02 Aug 2012, 21:45

I don't face any of your problems under linux.

Under Windows I haven't installed the driver software yet.
I will test if I have the same problems under Windows when using the slimblade software at the weekend.

zulios

02 Aug 2012, 23:41

@Woody : Yes, I use the ball to scroll. Sorry for not having made myself clearer.

I made some tests to see what really happens and found the following :
  • As long as TrackballWorks is not installed, Windows settings are used, and I can set whatever number of lines I want for every scrolling step. On the other hand, you can't use the two buttons on top of the trackball. I personnaly set my right click to the top right button, back (browser wise) to the top left and forward (browser wise still) on bottom right, so that's quite a turnoff.
  • Once the software is installed, it overrides Windows default settings for any mouse or trackball device plugged on the system. It doesn't change the registry values but whenever you go into the configuration panel you'll see they have been changed. I have no clue on how they managed to do that.
  • You can still change Windows settings manually. Doing this will override TrackballWWork's values and therefore change the trackball's behavior highly until you restart the system.
  • If you try modifying the values using a .reg file and a scheduled task, that will fail. Whatever value you set will not be taken into account by Windows.
  • As Woody mentioned, you can change the scrolling speed using TrackballWorks. That still remains slower than what I would like to get, but I guess I won't have a choice there.
  • [/*]

woody
Count Troller

03 Aug 2012, 14:07

As expected - stupid driver problems. Sorry I can't help further, not using this OS.

zulios

03 Aug 2012, 18:51

No problem, thanks Woody :) I'll just keep it that way, the software will prevent me from doing any better most likely. I'll switch to linux sooner or later anyway, just need to find the right distribution for me.

Daniel

03 Aug 2012, 21:54

Okay, it cleary is a software problem. So I don't have to install TrackballWorks.

zulios

03 Aug 2012, 22:17

@Daniel : thank you for having proposed it. How do you use the trackball on linux ? Do all the keys work fine ?

woody
Count Troller

04 Aug 2012, 10:40

zulios wrote:How do you use the trackball on linux ? Do all the keys work fine ?
Yes. Nothing needed.

Daniel

04 Aug 2012, 21:48

zulios wrote:@Daniel : thank you for having proposed it. How do you use the trackball on linux ? Do all the keys work fine ?
Yeah it works out of the box without any problems.

Under Linux the four buttons are assigned the following way:
bottom left: left click
bottom right: right click
top left: the same as pressing the scroll wheel on a normal mouse (I use this to open links in a new browser tab)
top right: backwards (like the backwards button on the Logitech mx510)
Scrolling: rotate the ball

zulios

09 Aug 2012, 23:37

Thanks. Is there any way to reprogram them under linux ? This setup wouldn't fit me, sadly...

7bit

18 Feb 2013, 13:26

Just got a Slimblade and only button 1 and 3 are workig.

The other 2 buttons are dead.
:sad:

Is this normal?
:o

vun

18 Feb 2013, 13:49

7bit wrote:Just got a Slimblade and only button 1 and 3 are workig.

The other 2 buttons are dead.
:sad:

Is this normal?
:o
I'm pretty sure it's not, unless mine with 4 working buttons is a defect...

As for the thread, this is actually what has been bugging me the past few days; every time I restart my computer the Windows control panel scroll speed resets to 1 line, I assume it's got something to do with TrackballWorks. So far I haven't been able to find a solution, although there might be something in the registry.

7bit

18 Feb 2013, 14:50

What signals should they usually deliver?

woody
Count Troller

18 Feb 2013, 15:08

7bit wrote:What signals should they usually deliver?
According to xev:

2 8
1 3

7bit

18 Feb 2013, 17:55

Thanks, so the thing is really defect ...
:cry:

zulios

23 Feb 2013, 00:02

vun wrote:[...] As for the thread, this is actually what has been bugging me the past few days; every time I restart my computer the Windows control panel scroll speed resets to 1 line, I assume it's got something to do with TrackballWorks. So far I haven't been able to find a solution, although there might be something in the registry.
My experiments with Windows registry settings have not been conclusive so far. Maybe another track could be to look what trackballworks overrides or adds to the system, but this software is definitely horrible. Too bad because the device in itself is great to use, I still love it.

vun

23 Feb 2013, 10:55

zulios wrote:
vun wrote:[...] As for the thread, this is actually what has been bugging me the past few days; every time I restart my computer the Windows control panel scroll speed resets to 1 line, I assume it's got something to do with TrackballWorks. So far I haven't been able to find a solution, although there might be something in the registry.
My experiments with Windows registry settings have not been conclusive so far. Maybe another track could be to look what trackballworks overrides or adds to the system, but this software is definitely horrible. Too bad because the device in itself is great to use, I still love it.
The software isn't all that bad in my experience, apart from the scrolling issue. It's a simple and straightforward configuration tool, although if anyone knows a way to configure the buttons without using the software then I'd be willing to try that. As long as said method supports media keys.

Grond

23 May 2013, 10:26

I have experienced the same issue under Mac Os-X and found a workaround. Basically you need to set "trackball works" to be loaded automatically on startup. Now I haven't been using Windows for about a decade now, but I'm sure there is a similiar option. Here's the workaround for Mountain Lion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/42 ... 0&tstart=0

vun

23 May 2013, 11:41

Grond wrote:I have experienced the same issue under Mac Os-X and found a workaround. Basically you need to set "trackball works" to be loaded automatically on startup. Now I haven't been using Windows for about a decade now, but I'm sure there is a similiar option. Here's the workaround for Mountain Lion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/42 ... 0&tstart=0
TrackballWorks loads on startup by default on Windows.

Grond

23 May 2013, 11:50

It's supposed to do it on Mac as well, but doesn't.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”