clip-on keyboard for smartphones

geekabit

09 Oct 2012, 10:40

This is obviously not a mechanical keyboard, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/170 ... controller

These guys made a clip-on keyboard/mouse/gamepad for mobile phones. The iControlpad clips on the back and connects via bluetooth or usb. It must be a huge improvement over the on-screen keyboards.
So, how do you do your typing on your mobile?

bhtooefr

09 Oct 2012, 12:23

Right now, I use my phone's physical keyboard, but my next phone will probably be a Nexus device, and that means no more physical keyboard. Even if it's not a Nexus device, it'll be either a Windows Phone 8 device or maybe the longshot, a Jolla OS device (but the odds of one being on Verizon are really, really slim). Either way, no keyboard.

I was planning on getting one of those pocketable bluetooth keyboards, but this looks better. In on this.

Icarium

10 Oct 2012, 12:27

I got a Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago and the "keyboard" is driving me nuts. If you know any good inputapps do tell!

bhtooefr

10 Oct 2012, 15:52

Good?

Touchscreen text input?

You're kidding, right? :P

itlnstln

10 Oct 2012, 16:42

Swipe and SwiftKey are better. I found that on my Galaxy Nexus that Jelly Bean does a great job of predictive text. While not the precision that I would prefer, learning how to type and let the predictive text work is the key to not wanting to kill yourself typing. You will be surprised how accurate you will be on accident.

huttala

10 Oct 2012, 17:29

itlnstln wrote:Swipe and SwiftKey are better. I found that on my Galaxy Nexus that Jelly Bean does a great job of predictive text. While not the precision that I would prefer, learning how to type and let the predictive text work is the key to not wanting to kill yourself typing. You will be surprised how accurate you will be on accident.
SwiftKey is the only app that makes me even think about writing on a phone. And it does the job pretty well with all the predictions.

So I say go for that, it actually works pretty well. I at least write a lot faster with SwiftKey then I've done with any hardware keyboard for phones.

nathanscribe

10 Oct 2012, 18:18

I'll have to give Swiftkey a try - currently having a very bad time jabbing several letters at once with my unabnormally average thumb. Samsung Galaxy here, just a small screen and tempted by something bigger.

As for tablets, I think the Asus Transformer is a neatish solution - the best clip-on keyboard I've seen so far, anyway. Plus, the extra battery life from it would be handy. A friend has one and reported 21 hours of use without need of a charge.

domoaligato

16 Oct 2012, 00:07

Icarium wrote:I got a Galaxy Nexus two weeks ago and the "keyboard" is driving me nuts. If you know any good inputapps do tell!
hackers keyboard or thumb keyboard. they are both great. I use hacker keyboard everyday.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”