How do you lay out your input/output devices?

RougeRambo

26 Dec 2012, 04:51

just curious how you lay your keyboard, mouse, rollermouse, second keyboard, third, mouse, mouse mat, numberpad, trackball, laptop, tablet, monitors, speakers, amp, headphones, record player, dragon dild...wait whut etc etc etc
out on the desk.

here is my soon to be layout when everything arrives/is set up.
May move bits around depending on how i feel...and filco will come to front when i want to play muh vidya.

MS PAINT IT IF YOU DONT HAVE IT, actual pictures appreciated. (will add one for me soon)

reasons why/suggestions also

vun

27 Dec 2012, 15:20

Just moved my desk out of the corner with the slanted roof, much better now, so it's a good time to be posting some pics.
_DSC6588 copy.jpg
_DSC6588 copy.jpg (676.25 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
How I like my KB/mouse space, the trackball isn't for gaming or anything so I use my left hand for that.
Before I moved my desk I couldn't really fit a deskmat on there, but now I think I'll look into getting one. As well as a full-size wrist rest so I don't have to move it around for the trackball.
Filcos can be seen hiding behind my monitor, I keep my mice in their own drawer so you only get to see the G400 that I'm currently using.

_DSC6586 copy.jpg
_DSC6586 copy.jpg (657.27 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
Pic showing where I keep the rest of the stuff on my desk, doesn't show everything clearly, but gives a decent idea.
Also note the sweet Christmas lights

RougeRambo

27 Dec 2012, 17:14

That looks a pretty sweet set of input devices you have there, might try my trackball on the left when it arrives. hard to decide guess i will have to try. I need to come up with a way to swap keyboards easily too between gaming/typing. atm i lift em over.

also dem christmas lights mmmmm.

oh and your reminded me, i need a controller for my pc. i have my ps3 sixaxis working okay for some stuff but i wouldnt mind a 360 controller+steam controller.

phetto
Elite

27 Dec 2012, 17:23

Looks good vun. Now I need to grab a kensington slimblade.

I also use a xbox 360 controller for steam, pretty nifty when you are playing platform games and stuff like that.

ne0phyte
Toast.

27 Dec 2012, 18:35

This is my setup.
I use a PS3 controller because I really don't like the XBox 360 controllers :?
With the MotionInJoy driver/software (horrible UI full of ads, but it works) the PS3 controller is detected as XBox 360 controller so any game that is compatible with the XBox controller (uses XInput) works with the PS3 controller as well.

Last edited by ne0phyte on 27 Dec 2012, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

RougeRambo

27 Dec 2012, 18:53

ne0phyte wrote:This is my setup.
i used a sixaxis for ages. its good for ps1/2 emulation, but i think it will just be easier to use a 360 controller, used to dislike 360 controller but played a mates xbox recently and they actually seeemed okay

ne0phyte
Toast.

27 Dec 2012, 18:56

RougeRambo wrote:
ne0phyte wrote:This is my setup.
i used a sixaxis for ages. its good for ps1/2 emulation, but i think it will just be easier to use a 360 controller, used to dislike 360 controller but played a mates xbox recently and they actually seeemed okay
I bought one but returned it. The thumb sticks of the XBox 360 controllers never really center and they feel so mushy compared to the PS3 controller.

vun

27 Dec 2012, 20:24

I find the PS controllers to be a bit small, the 360 controller fits pretty well in my hands.

Also, nice keycap colour scheme ne0phyte.

realex

28 Dec 2012, 00:55

so many logitech g400 users here - maybe i'll give it another shot since the first one i got when it was released was a batch one/prediction infested model which annoyed the hell out of me, even though i liked the mx510 shape back in the day.

ontopic: benq xl2420t straight (0.5m) in front of cm storm qfr reds/noppoo choc blues and puretrak talent horizontally with death adder be 3.5 starting approx. on the right edge of the monitor.

vun

28 Dec 2012, 01:31

realex wrote:so many logitech g400 users here - maybe i'll give it another shot since the first one i got when it was released was a batch one/prediction infested model which annoyed the hell out of me, even though i liked the mx510 shape back in the day.

ontopic: benq xl2420t straight (0.5m) in front of cm storm qfr reds/noppoo choc blues and puretrak talent horizontally with death adder be 3.5 starting approx. on the right edge of the monitor.
I wouldn't call myself a G400 user, my G400 doesn't get a lot of use and, sadly, mine has the old sensor with prediction. On the bright side; the prediction isn't really an issue and it's a fairly cheap mouse so I'll just pick up another one sometime later.

realex

28 Dec 2012, 13:17

vun wrote: I wouldn't call myself a G400 user, my G400 doesn't get a lot of use and, sadly, mine has the old sensor with prediction. On the bright side; the prediction isn't really an issue and it's a fairly cheap mouse so I'll just pick up another one sometime later.
well it depends on the individual how one can handle or accustom to angle snapping, i can't at all. fyi i dunno how it is in norway, but at least in germany amazon dropped razer deathadder black edition price by ~20€ to 40€. i assume that has sth. to do with the rather obsolete 2013 model being released, but it is at least imho still the best ergonomic mouse out there (even if i hate every single other razer product).

maybe i need to give my zowie am some more testing, but i think i have gotten to accustomed to ergonomic mice for it to be a serious competition for the da, so if anyone needs an am in the near future, /pm me

vun

28 Dec 2012, 13:36

realex wrote:
vun wrote: I wouldn't call myself a G400 user, my G400 doesn't get a lot of use and, sadly, mine has the old sensor with prediction. On the bright side; the prediction isn't really an issue and it's a fairly cheap mouse so I'll just pick up another one sometime later.
well it depends on the individual how one can handle or accustom to angle snapping, i can't at all. fyi i dunno how it is in norway, but at least in germany amazon dropped razer deathadder black edition price by ~20€ to 40€. i assume that has sth. to do with the rather obsolete 2013 model being released, but it is at least imho still the best ergonomic mouse out there (even if i hate every single other razer product).

maybe i need to give my zowie am some more testing, but i think i have gotten to accustomed to ergonomic mice for it to be a serious competition for the da, so if anyone needs an am in the near future, /pm me
The Black edition isn't really available at all in Norway :/
Only sites you can get it from are sites that will import it for you, but they're expensive and are fairly dodgy as I've heard they have terrible customer service etc.

As for the angle snapping on the G400; I suppose it doesn't bother me as I'm used to all sorts of mice and sensors, I've got a bunch of mice that I switch between when I feel like it.

tylerbrainerd

26 Apr 2013, 08:24

Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42085313@N ... 724984259/

except I have a cst trackball now.

Okeg

27 Apr 2013, 13:10

tylerbrainerd wrote:Like this:

That's actually really nice.
Audio and keyboards = godlike

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2013, 16:08

Well, it's not my desk:
Power users were literally that, back in the day. Think of all those CRTs…

I like the long exposure. Just something I saw at Horace Dediu's site, without context. Whatever was going on in that picture, the text only machine in the middle wasn't getting much action.

huttala

27 Apr 2013, 16:20

How did you like that logitech marble?
I need something to replace my mouse with (RSI:() thinking about getting one of theese and using it with the left hand while browsning the web.

RougeRambo

27 Apr 2013, 18:22

huttala wrote:

I need something to replace my mouse with (RSI:() thinking about getting one of theese and using it with the left hand while browsning the web.
get the kens expert/slimblade instead, has a scroll function + four buttons, + better sensor etc
i really like mine.

my layout

tylerbrainerd

01 May 2013, 01:15

Okeg wrote:

That's actually really nice.
Audio and keyboards = godlike
Why thank you.

Unfortunately I just moved, so I don't have the receiver hooked up again yet, but I do love some vintage equipment.

tylerbrainerd

01 May 2013, 01:17

huttala wrote:

I liked it a lot, with one exception: no dedicated scroll wheel. I had to game with software utilities to do a hold button and scroll.

Then I upgraded to the CST L-Track, mainly because I wanted a larger ball and flatter surface, and larger buttons, and dedicated scroll. Extremely comfortable to use.

My favorite part of trackballs is that you don't have to have a huge space to move your hand around.

tylerbrainerd

01 May 2013, 01:18

RougeRambo wrote:
huttala wrote:

get the kens expert/slimblade instead, has a scroll function + four buttons, + better sensor etc
i really like mine.

my layout

That or a CST ltrac like my own.

tylerbrainerd

01 May 2013, 01:18

This is the mouse I have now:

http://i.imgur.com/Kmxib.jpg

Okeg

06 May 2013, 19:19

Does anyone have the measurment of a dh200?(too lazy to pm webwit).
I wanna try a layout like this; dt225|left-dh|tipro|right-dh.

RougeRambo

06 May 2013, 22:21

Okeg wrote:Does anyone have the measurment of a dh200?(too lazy to pm webwit).
can just solder in a new DH cable if need be i guess

Okeg

07 May 2013, 00:12

RougeRambo wrote:
Okeg wrote:Does anyone have the measurment of a dh200?(too lazy to pm webwit).
can just solder in a new DH cable if need be i guess
Solder, what? I'm talking about the space on my desk, sorry if i diden't make that clear enough.

domin8r

14 May 2013, 16:20

At home:

At work:

abhibeckert

09 Jul 2013, 14:38

Here's my setup at work, standing desk for me. :-)
Attachments
IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg (143.73 KiB) Viewed 6714 times

Return to “Mice & other input devices”