Negative slope trackball

oneproduct

17 Mar 2013, 20:56

I've tried a vertical mouse, many trackballs and the rollermouse and, in the end, I think that my favorite of them all are the trackballs. However, one thing that annoys me about them is that most tend to have a base that forces you to tilt your wrist and fingers upwards and, in the case of Kensington's ones, also have buttons which are not so friendly to press, being horizontal instead of opposing the thumb vertically like on the Microsoft Trackball Explorer.

As there's not any negative slope trackball that I'm aware of, I'm sort of interested in making one myself. Here the wrist and arm would be horizontal and the fingers would fall naturally into a groove where the ball sits. It's mostly the casing that I'm interested in trying to get made out of plastic, perhaps from a place like shapeways, but I was wondering how to go about doing this.

I've seen many people here do very creative things, and I was wondering if one of those people would have a helpful hint for me. I was going to get some modeling clay so I could fool around with creating the shape but wasn't sure where to go to after that, such as 3D scanning the clay model into some modeling program...? I'd then use the innards of a Kensington slimblade (as I would prefer to use the twist-to-scroll feature rather than the blue scroll wheel I illustrated here).

tylerbrainerd

19 Apr 2013, 04:34

This may have a lot more to do with your desk and chair height than the shape of the mouse.

czarek

17 Jun 2013, 16:18

You may try DT225 and just place it other way round. It has DIP switches to change the direction of each axis.

BillyK

11 Jul 2013, 09:56

Take a look at the KENSINGTON Orbit Optical Trackball. I used one of these for 3-4 months when I was doing a lot of video editing and I wanted to avoid wrist strain.

It was very nice to hold and feels very much like a normal mouse.

BillyK

11 Jul 2013, 09:58

Sorry. I just re-read the post. Hopefully this is not one of the devices you were talking about.

The buttons took me a few days to get used to, but they work fine once you are used to the distance.

nourathar

06 Oct 2013, 21:19

Hi oneproduct,
a late reply to your question, but a while ago I had a related question on GH and in reply somebody posted a link to stuff he had made (note these are not mine !). Perhaps that is interesting for you as inspiration and perhaps he might be of help ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/8754018518/
he is 'kurplop' on Geekhack..

PigLickJF

10 Dec 2013, 20:32

I'd also be interested in such a thing, and I just came across this:

http://shop.itacsystems.com/shop-home-a ... mousetrak/

I can't find much information on it, though, such as reviews, etc. but I just started looking. It's not exactly negative slope, but it seems to be closer than anything else I've seen.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”