Can you change your mouse hand?

Can you use both hands for the mouse?

Yes
54%
No [right only]
39%
No [left only]
2%
I don't use a mouse (trackball/touchpad/rollermouse/etc)
5%

Total votes: 85

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 14:13

vun wrote:
Muirium wrote:Smart! Must somehow adapt this excuse for MORE KEYBOARDS!
It's difficult since it only works if the keyboards you want are shaped differently in some way, which is really why I'm more interested in mice than I am in keyboards. Interesting keyboards are often expensive and can be impractical in some ways, whereas there's loads of different mice to choose from with all sorts of interesting shapes and features.
Good point. I actually have an excuse for a new mouse: my only (still working) one (a Magic Mouse) is up against its pairing limit. Got some suggestions?

Requirements:
  • Bluetooth. No other 2.4 GHz link is as seamless for me.
  • Smallish. Especially in the z-dimension. I hold them in my fingers rather than under my palm, and most mice just feel bulky that way.
  • Symmetrical. So I can switch as I'm used to.
I'm eyeing up a Magic Trackpad so this is a good time to bring me to my mousing sanity!

vun

07 Jul 2013, 14:22

Razer Orochi seems to fit your bill; small ambidextrous bluetooth mouse. I can't say much about it as I haven't tried it, I fear it will be too small for my hands and at the price it's too much of a risk. I could of course buy one and return it if I didn't like it, but that's effort considering it's mostly not available in retail stores.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 14:33

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks pretty good. The only bit to set off my spidey sense is:
Razer wrote:Razer Synapse 2.0 registration (requiring a valid e-mail), software download, license acceptance, and internet connection needed to activate full features of product and for software updates. After activation, full features are available in optional offline mode.
Presumably it's still a standard two+ button mouse with scroller if you install no driver? (I've only one part-time Windows box anyway.) In all my years on computers, the only mice I've used are Microsoft's and Apple's (and Nintendo's and Commodore's…)!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jul 2013, 14:40

Razer Orochi goes to sleep after a minute or so and to wake it up you have to click a button (no kidding). If that's good for you...

edit: google razer orochi sleep problem

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 14:49

Ah nuts!

vun

07 Jul 2013, 15:04

Ah, I was not aware of that. In that case I don't know what I would recommend, I know Logitech had some small wireless mice that were quite good, but they weren't ambidextrous.

The Razer Ouroboros is wireless, ambidextrous and has an adjustable shape, but it is quite expensive and I don't really expect it to be worth the money. It also seems to be using some weird new sensor system, it's dual-sensor like the PTE, but with the sensors in different places.

Other than that I don't really know, I mostly concern myself with gaming mice which are mostly wired.

I would advise you to be somewhat wary of non-gaming wireless mice, as they are expected to sell simply because they are small and wireless mice instead of being good, so in theory the manufacturers can get away with taking a lot of shortcuts.

Edit: That said; I really want a Razer Ouroboros. If I see one in a store I don't think I'll be able to walk out of the store without one. Luckily the fact that I have much better time when buying online prevents me from making such silly impulse purchases.
Last edited by vun on 07 Jul 2013, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 15:09

Indeed. I've been procrastinating on this for a fair while because of that. Thanks for your help, Vun.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2013, 15:09

vun wrote:Ah, I was not aware of that. In that case I don't know what I would recommend, I know Logitech had some small wireless mice that were quite good, but they weren't ambidextrous.
I use a VX Nano.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jul 2013, 15:14

problem with gaming mouse is that batteries usually last 8-12 hours. My M705 can run 3-4 months on rechargeable (probably longer on standard batteries)
webwit wrote:
vun wrote:Ah, I was not aware of that. In that case I don't know what I would recommend, I know Logitech had some small wireless mice that were quite good, but they weren't ambidextrous.
I use a VX Nano.

I believe that has been replaced by the MX Anywhere (the small one) which is the best mouse EVER! I have two... unfortunately Logitech lowered production quality and the latest version of that model sucks.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 15:15

Looks interesting. But I'm a little disappointed that Webwit of all people is not using something hand wired by Doug Engelbart! It'd go nicely with his 75% layout beam spring.

ماء

07 Jul 2013, 15:26

webwit wrote: I use a VX Nano.
I think you use the trackball :lol: apparently not :oops:

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2013, 15:38

I do use a trackball on my other computer.

ماء

07 Jul 2013, 17:58

webwit wrote:I do use a trackball on my other computer.
What you are also using a different keyboard on other computer?

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2013, 19:07

Actually, some Bluetooth keyboards let you switch between computers by pressing keys. Quite handy. I intend to build that into my own, when I can.

But mice … none can do that, as far as I know.

ماء

08 Jul 2013, 04:12

Yes, like HHKb bluetooth

BillyK

17 Jul 2013, 11:48

Well I voted for right only, and considering i work in CAD I have never really thought about using the other hand and use to always poke fun at my friend for using the "wrong hand".

I must say though, I just tried it and even using my normal cad programs is now my right hand is having to do all of the ctrl+shift+alt combinations and it feels a little strange. As far as accuracy goes though, it is not bad :))

kile

17 Jul 2013, 13:28

I am right-handed, and about 10 years ago I developed a bad case of CTS in my right hand (too much smoking combined with Warcraft III). I couldn't type for a few days, and I was forced to start using the mouse with my left hand. I was surprised how quickly I got used to the change. I used a Razer Diamondback back then, later got a Copperhead, and I bought the left handed Deathadder when it was released. Later I bought two more. Now I have one for work, one for home and one for just-in-case. :)

I still can't use my right hand for mousing. Every time I try, it starts to hurt after about 1-2 minutes of use. In my experience the biggest problem are the mouse switches and buttons. I have large hands and fingers, and the switches on almost every mouse I have used are too sensitive, and will activate if I just rest my fingers on the mouse (I'm a palmer). That means that I have to use the muscles in my fingers to hold them suspended all the time so they don't activate the buttons. And this is causes CTS. I have changed all the main switches in my mice to 150g ones. Even this wasn't enough for the left switch on the Deathadder, so I had to add a little cotton underneath the button to increase the activation force.

_robban

22 Aug 2013, 13:27

Also use the Logitech VX Nano at work, I draw in AutoCad and able to shift hands without any problem nowadays. Took maybe 1-2 days before I got the hang of it but now there are no problems at all.

niomosy

03 Sep 2013, 18:21

I've been mousing lefty at work as a right-hander since 1997 to keep the pain down in my right wrist. I know a few other people that doe this as well. Every little bit helps.

ماء

03 Sep 2013, 18:40

This thread it seems want change handedness man! :|
For Be a Ambidextrous :ugeek: :roll:

deskTH

29 Sep 2013, 11:19

I can't change my mouse hand, I can only use my right hand to control it but my right hand feels ok cause I got a mouse pad like this Image

wahahhahahha :oops:

BTW, how can I post a pic immediately from my PC and no need an image url ?? I'm new here, I'd like to show my own mousepad, I think it more beautiful than this one.

Muirium
µ

29 Sep 2013, 11:25

Under the text box where you type your post, you should see a tab called "Upload attachment". Select your file in there (must be under 1 meg as I remember) and it will show at the end of your post. For extra points, use the tab again to insert it inline in your post. That's how I did this.

If you see no Upload Attachment tab, press the Full Editor button. You are just in quick reply mode instead!

ZeodoHokill

13 Oct 2013, 17:04

No, I tried once on the PC of my colleague, and eventually I messed up his PC

DeskNDL82

20 Oct 2013, 10:34

I only use right hand :D

scottc

20 Oct 2013, 20:19

I'm actually left-handed but using a mouse (a mouse mouse, not touchpad/trackball/etc) with my left hand feels really weird. However, I always use my left hand for my Thinkpad's touchpad and trackpoint.

Also, I can never remember the "PC" name for a trackpoint...

wycx

14 Mar 2014, 20:38

Fot about the last 10 years I have had all my computers set up with two mice, one for each hand. It is great to be able to switch seamlessly from one hand to the other, mid task. I don't reverse the buttons for the left hand mouse, so as to be able to use mice on other computers with my left hand without confusion.

Muirium
µ

14 Mar 2014, 20:40

That is actually pretty bloody smart. I might dig out the old Magic Trackpad and try a mouse and trackpad hybrid approach in the same spirit.

scottc

15 Mar 2014, 01:06

Muirium, that sounds perfect to me! I actually use trackpads with my left hand, too. A trackpad on the left and mouse on the right. Now all I need is a trackpad...

neverlast74

11 Aug 2014, 13:14

I am lefty - but I am doing quite ok with my right hand. I never understood the value of left handed keyboards... are there?

Muirium
µ

11 Aug 2014, 13:18

Return to “Mice & other input devices”