Wacom Cintiq 13HD - interactive pen display

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

13 Oct 2013, 23:54

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU ##%¤$#!!
I wrote a long post about this item as i wanted to share my first experiences with it but as i was finally posting the thread the site threw me in to log in screen. I nervously clicked back and forth, then logged in but the text was gone. Goddamit, i should always remember to copy all text before posting.

So, as my original long post was sucked into the void of outer space...i have little energy left to write this. Heres supershort version:

Wacom Cintiq 13HD - interactive pen display

Im not a professional. With this kinda gear im a casual user. Ive made some product package design and magazine ads but ive always sent my material to a pro who transfers my junk into high res and lines all up to presicion. Im not very good at drawing but i enjoy it so i compensate the lack of skills with silly enthusiasm.

Ive never gotten myself a regular graphics tablet and never even tested one. Drawing on plastic tablet and having your eyes somewhere else besides the tip of your pen just felt kinda wrong to me.

So when i saw this IPS full HD screen graphics tablet at semi-attractive price i went for it. I bought it for home use. Its has a 13.3" IPS screen with screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. It comes with a pro series pen with bunch of different tips for it. It also comes with adjustable stand for angle adjustment. The tablet is connected to computer via HDMI + USB combo. Its also acts as a second screen.

Wacom says its retails for $999 but in Europe tis is probably a dirty translation to 999 Euros :? Heres the Wacom product page: http://www.wacom.com/us/en/creative/cintiq-13-hd

Heres my setup with the 13HD. Its next to the keyboard and acting as 3rd screen:

You can move ur graphics program onto the tablet and make all adjustments/choices directly on screen with ur pen. The drawing is also fast as you can swap brushes, colors, zoom etc. directly on the screen without taking your eyes off or looking on other screens.

For me 13.3" is enough of space. The screen is sharp enough so you can zoom far in and out:

Heres me doing freehand logo letters on my 1st test drawing. The zoom is on about 300-400%

The pen, pen holder and the pen case with bunch of different tips for it

The retail box in the shot

Heres my first test drawing. I borrowed the idea and shape of rough dude wearing derby hat and the shape of his arms...then made him a duck, made logo letters and some keyboard related little things. Im not using this for anything and its not very sharp drawing but all lines/figures were made freehand and with a fast pace:

Conclusion: I like it. Its a great tool for someone who likes to draw. Drawing directly on the screen feels so natural. You can pinpoint to position where you want to draw with great presicion and make very clean lines even with freehand. The 13.3" is enough for my casual use but professional might look for 24" options, altho those cost about 10 billion dollars.

vun

14 Oct 2013, 01:55

These are amazing, atm I only have an old Intuos3, but seeing how the prices of the Cintiq models have dropped lately I've been seriously considering one of the smaller Cintiq models. So much drool.

Vierax

14 Oct 2013, 06:44

Nice one ! But not my style as I early learned not to watch my paper when I sketch. I'm still convinced that it's not ergonomic to draw on a screen (bad prostrated posture for the screen and the neck, as traditional paper) but should be improved with a table easel like this

As vun, my Intuos 3 fits me : it's the A4 model, not the wide, and I can draw directly on a sketch skipping the scanning process. ;) And the programmable buttons are useful even if they aren't mechanical : In both side, so my left-handed curse is not a problem at all, no need to rotate the board and the left buttons can still handle the "not so much used but practical" macros.

BTW the logo is great : It's like Donald Duck reconverted as keyboard thief :D

Findecanor

14 Oct 2013, 10:25

Ducky Nordic wrote:Wacom says its retails for $999 but in Europe tis is probably a dirty translation to 999 Euros :? [/url]
As a general rule, I always assume that retail prices in dollars translate that way in Europe.
For Swedish SEK, (currency rate 1.0 USD = 6.50 SEK), I translate 1.0 USD = 10 SEK for retail prices.
Ducky Nordic wrote:Image
I'd say you've gone and won your own logo competition right there. ;)

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

14 Oct 2013, 11:24

Findecanor wrote: I'd say you've gone and won your own logo competition right there. ;)
Hah, well im not participating obviously :D
The competition is about ideas and finding elements that have "thinking outside the box" kinda vibe. On the logo front of the competition there are already couple things posted that have very nice elements/vibe in them. Also there several interesting layouts posted :)

davkol

15 Oct 2013, 16:10

I wrote a long post about this item as i wanted to share my first experiences with it but as i was finally posting the thread the site threw me in to log in screen. I nervously clicked back and forth, then logged in but the text was gone. Goddamit, i should always remember to copy all text before posting.
Lazarus

Kay

01 Nov 2013, 00:44

Damn man. That logo looks awesome !

Return to “Mice & other input devices”