I quit looking for a better mouse since ....

snerual

06 Mar 2011, 03:37

Started using a Razer Deathadder and never looked back. Great mouse.

jdmedeir

06 Mar 2011, 03:45

Deathadder is good. :)
Last edited by jdmedeir on 22 Nov 2013, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

NewGuy

06 Mar 2011, 03:57

The Razer DeathAdder is probably my favourite mouse so far when it comes to tracking. I've yet to find a laser mouse that has been as reliable/consistent as an optical mouse, in addition to not having any acceleration, angle snapping or other issues.

I wouldn't say it's perfect though. I'm a finger-grip user and I'm not sure that the mouse was really made for that. I would prefer something lower down with a more ambidextrous shape rather than ergonomic. I would love to see them do another mouse in the style of the Diamondback with the DeathAdder's side buttons, single-piece top construction, and optical sensor. (the Diamondback sensor wasn't great)

Victheslik

06 Mar 2011, 04:26

Sourced a Inellimouse 1.1 SE modded in Japan with Omron switches (same switches that is in Konami's IIDX Beatmania series of games) by far the best mouse I have ever used and if one is inclined to use a more contoured grip that same guy in japan does one for the intellimouse 3.0 ;D~ This is strictly speaking on a mouse for games as they are optical.

pzlate

06 Mar 2011, 05:13

I love my IME 3.0. Had it for at least 7 years now. I like the Xai when I used it as well.

Magna224

06 Mar 2011, 06:53

I like the original G5 but mine is pretty worn after many years and now I am mainly using G500 I don't like it as much but Ill get used to it.

r99t

06 Mar 2011, 23:12

I'm still using Logitech MX518 and has served me well so far. What do you guys think of it?

bakageta

07 Mar 2011, 00:30

I RMA'd a Logitech G7, and they gave me the choice of a Performance MX or a G9x. I went with the Performance MX, and I'm fairly happy with it. My only complaint is the back/forward buttons are too high to hit easily with my thumb, but it was easy enough to swap them with the other buttons. If forward/back were in the thumb area, I don't think I'd ever want another mouse...

vuga419

07 Mar 2011, 07:38

I use a logitech G5 for gaming, had it for a couple years so its starting to wear out but I havent found a decent replacement, although I've tried out the R.A.T. 7, its ok, but I wouldnt say its workth the pricetag, and some people wont like how "flat" it feels. I use an MX revolution for general computer use, but its also getting old and the thumbwheel is starting to break (I use it to move through tabs, but it'll often skip 2 tabs) a shame they dont make them anymore

mikethebboy

07 Mar 2011, 08:13

I have also had bad experience with Razer mice, my macro keys are horrible to get working and the rubberized plastic on my friends is coming off....

mikethebboy

07 Mar 2011, 08:14

also, are trackballs good for photoshopping?

Koeitje

08 Mar 2011, 00:58

r99t wrote:I'm still using Logitech MX518 and has served me well so far. What do you guys think of it?
One of the best mice. But I hear you shouldn't install the logitech drivers because they will give it quite heavy prediction.

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 06:22

Koeitje wrote:
r99t wrote:I'm still using Logitech MX518 and has served me well so far. What do you guys think of it?
One of the best mice. But I hear you shouldn't install the logitech drivers because they will give it quite heavy prediction.
If there is prediction with a mouse, it is generally a function of the hardware itself, and you would need to install the drivers to turn it off, if you have the option for it.

bxt

08 Mar 2011, 13:54

.... since i find out, there is no ideal mouse for me. Every single mouse has one or more flaws. *waiting for perfect mouse*

Taietzel

08 Mar 2011, 14:52

Crazy9000 wrote:I got a steelseries Xai a month or two ago when they had a 40% off sale, and it's the best mouse I've ever used.
I am also interested in the Xai; what mouse pad did you end up using/recommend?
Hard/soft? (does it make any difference?)

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 15:57

Most laser mice prefer a hard mouse pad and do not track so well on soft pads.

IanM

08 Mar 2011, 16:23

NewGuy wrote:Most laser mice prefer a hard mouse pad and do not track so well on soft pads.
I don't really agree with this, I've tested a few laser mice on a variety of cloth pads, comparing Philips v. Avago sensors and different surface textures. The tracking is good in most cases, and I've long ago come to the conclusion that most tracking issues are attributable to hair or other debris fouling the sensor, faulty cables/wire connections, faulty connection between USB plug & socket, and 'extreme' dpi settings (exacerbated by Windows mouse speed settings)

strike015

08 Mar 2011, 16:24

i myself have been using the razer diamondback 3G for quite some time, and i really like it it's really minimalistic does what i need it to do so i am really happy with it, but it seems that razer's build quality is a bit of a hit and miss. i've heard alot of people rant on about how the buttons their diamondback 3G squeak and squeal after a few months of use. and i think if mine dies on me i'll have to start hunting for the "perfect" mouse for me yet again.

Taietzel

08 Mar 2011, 17:45

IanM wrote:
NewGuy wrote:Most laser mice prefer a hard mouse pad and do not track so well on soft pads.
I don't really agree with this, I've tested a few laser mice on a variety of cloth pads, comparing Philips v. Avago sensors and different surface textures. The tracking is good in most cases, and I've long ago come to the conclusion that most tracking issues are attributable to hair or other debris fouling the sensor, faulty cables/wire connections, faulty connection between USB plug & socket, and 'extreme' dpi settings (exacerbated by Windows mouse speed settings)
From analyzing my needs I think a hard pad would be OK.
It's easier to clean/dry given my dustier desktop environment and I guess I could use it with the laptop on uneven surfaces (bed;sofa or couch arm).

On the other hand I'm a bit worried about the wear of the mouse feet. Is it that bad?
Oh and the prices :D .. but on the long run it should be worth it.

Was there a particular mouse pad model that caught your attention?

Thank you for the replies.
(sorry for nesting this thread)

Daniel Beaver

08 Mar 2011, 18:03

I used to feel this way about the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0; no other mouse matched it's simplicity and ergonomics. I used one for close to ten years, but the relatively low sensitivity bothered me enough that I replaced it with a DeathAdder. The DeathAdder is more functional, but I still haven't gotten used to the shape. I still hold the MSIE3.0 in my heart, if not in my hands.

IanM

08 Mar 2011, 19:37

Taietzel wrote:Was there a particular mouse pad model that caught your attention?
I'm just going to be lazy and point you toward my ramblings elsewhere: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1531075 Outside of the ones there, I think QCK+ and Goliathus Speed are good choices, I keep promising myself to get the QCK when I next do a new PC build.
Taietzel wrote:
IanM wrote:On the other hand I'm a bit worried about the wear of the mouse feet. Is it that bad?
Some pads wear feet quickly, but at least there are many replacement feet to choose from, so if you prefer the surface to be hard and slick then at least you don't have to keep buying new mice.

bxt

08 Mar 2011, 20:08

For Xai mouse i would recommend either 9HD or Razer Destructor.

pita

09 Mar 2011, 01:34

mikethebboy wrote:also, are trackballs good for photoshopping?
It depends on what you do with the photoshop, if you want detail touch ups, you are better off with a WACOM. Having said that, I went trackball and never regret one bit.

I still used regular mouse for games though, the good old 400DPI logitech mouse overclocked to 500Hz USB refresh rate. Handles SC2 fine with a slight bump in sensitivity without sacrificing too much precisions.

rpgman1

10 Mar 2011, 05:33

I went from a G9 to Roccat Kone[+] and the differences are very clear for me. It is a large mouse, but it feels comfortable in my right hand. Also, I have more customization options with the Kone[+], but I need to find a hard mouse pad to pair with the Kone[+].

Dogi

12 Mar 2011, 21:14

I have a G500 which I really enjoy. Haven't found a use for the weights it came with but it's very comfortable and all the features are quite nice.

Yomi39

12 Mar 2011, 21:20

Razer Imperator is nice. also the Microsoft IE 3.0

IVXX

13 Mar 2011, 00:56

+1 for the g500. got mine for $35 flat during the holidays.

im using 5700 dpi, lowish sensitivity, 21.4g in the cartridge on a steelseries 4S :D

the g9x is also very nice.

Dogi

13 Mar 2011, 06:39

Black Friday sales? That's when I picked mine up. I use 3000 dpi for regular browsing and switch between 3000 and 4500 in games depending on the situation. Still not quite used to super high dpi settings yet.

Sugoi

16 Mar 2011, 18:39

Had been using a Logitech MX 510 for more than 6 years. Eventually I switched to the SteelSeries Xai because there were no Vista/7 drivers for MX 510. It's still working fine though. Hope the Xai will make it at least half as long.

Input Nirvana

19 Mar 2011, 06:53

MsKeyboard wrote: Oh, BTW...just got in the new Rollermouse Free V2, and I think it will be a winner, just can't help reaching for the mouse though.......
MsKeyboard! I have a Rollermouse Station, Rollermouse Free, and Evoluent V3. Any chance you can share with me your thoughts on the Evoluent V4 and the Rollermouse Free V2 and how they are different from the model that proceed them? And what you think of the CST?

Thanx!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”