CM Storm Xornet Refresh? Any feedback/suggestions?

coccosoids

20 Jul 2016, 16:32

CM Bram wrote: Firmware/Tracking: What FW version are you guys refering too? Did you guys try the latest version thats on our site?
Surface: The coating of the plastic shell? Any suggestions perhaps? Or the rubberized sides and the patern also?
In response to your reply:

Surface/coating: yes, the coating everywhere - buttons and shell. I cannot stress this enough, for example: if I place my fingers on the X I, I can almost lift the mouse off the table without exerting any force, just by the friction of my skin and the plastic shell. With the Xornet II I have to consciously grip it and apply quite a bit of force with my fingers. This essentially makes the mouse feel 4 to 6 times as heavier to me. The side grips get worse once my skin becomes more humid, as opposed to the shell which presents only a slight improvement. One thing that I just can't understand about the side grips, is why you have chosen to use a pattern that essentially amplifies sliding, acting as a guiding surface for your thumb to reach the -see below

The side buttons: the side buttons are bad for me in the sense that below them you have placed a sharp edge (the english term is eluding me right now) which is distracting / discomforting. The whole thumb rest area could use an entirely different profile in my opinion.

The Xornet I had some intrinsic problems in itself (forcing too much pronation of the arm, other finger distribution profile issues etc), but the X2 just exacerbated everything to the point that I am looking at different mice now.

I'm not bashing, or pretentious, it's just that I've been a junior product designer once and I tend to observe these things. With so many bad input devices on the market - my daily driver right now is a 8 Euro mouse from a very circulated brand. I am utterly surprised at how many things they managed to get right with it, and just as saddened to know that the design will never get to see a selection of quality components.

Many thanks for being interested.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

25 Jul 2016, 08:07

coccosoids wrote:
CM Bram wrote: Firmware/Tracking: What FW version are you guys refering too? Did you guys try the latest version thats on our site?
Surface: The coating of the plastic shell? Any suggestions perhaps? Or the rubberized sides and the patern also?
In response to your reply:

Surface/coating: yes, the coating everywhere - buttons and shell. I cannot stress this enough, for example: if I place my fingers on the X I, I can almost lift the mouse off the table without exerting any force, just by the friction of my skin and the plastic shell. With the Xornet II I have to consciously grip it and apply quite a bit of force with my fingers. This essentially makes the mouse feel 4 to 6 times as heavier to me. The side grips get worse once my skin becomes more humid, as opposed to the shell which presents only a slight improvement. One thing that I just can't understand about the side grips, is why you have chosen to use a pattern that essentially amplifies sliding, acting as a guiding surface for your thumb to reach the -see below
Alright I see what you mean.We did indeed change the coating materials for the plastic shell. And as for the sides I think you are referring too the striped pattern right?
The side buttons: the side buttons are bad for me in the sense that below them you have placed a sharp edge (the english term is eluding me right now) which is distracting / discomforting. The whole thumb rest area could use an entirely different profile in my opinion.
Yea like my previous post, we made them intentially more bumpy so that they could be more easily felt vs. the Xornet 1 design. Shame to hear you dont like it as much as myself :(

The Xornet I had some intrinsic problems in itself (forcing too much pronation of the arm, other finger distribution profile issues etc), but the X2 just exacerbated everything to the point that I am looking at different mice now.

I'm not bashing, or pretentious, it's just that I've been a junior product designer once and I tend to observe these things. With so many bad input devices on the market - my daily driver right now is a 8 Euro mouse from a very circulated brand. I am utterly surprised at how many things they managed to get right with it, and just as saddened to know that the design will never get to see a selection of quality components.

Many thanks for being interested.
Very sorry to hear that, altho not planned currently, lets see if we ever get to it what we can fix in a V3? :P

Elrick

25 Jul 2016, 08:15

CM Bram wrote: Very sorry to hear that, altho not planned currently, lets see if we ever get to it what we can fix in a V3? :P
Bring out Version 3 as soon as possible :D .

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

26 Jul 2016, 09:47

Elrick wrote: Bring out Version 3 as soon as possible :D .
Hahaha! But first we have some other mice coming soon! :mrgreen: :twisted:

Elrick

26 Jul 2016, 13:06

CM Bram wrote:
Elrick wrote: Bring out Version 3 as soon as possible :D .
Hahaha! But first we have some other mice coming soon! :mrgreen: :twisted:
Speaking of which, where is SPAWN 2 :?:

coccosoids

26 Jul 2016, 13:25

CM Bram wrote: Very sorry to hear that, altho not planned currently, lets see if we ever get to it what we can fix in a V3? :P
Cool, let me know if you need any beta - testing! ;)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

01 Aug 2016, 07:56

Elrick wrote: Speaking of which, where is SPAWN 2 :?:
Not planned yet, altho we are working on something else in the small mouse market (claw/fingertip -grip).

coccosoids wrote: Cool, let me know if you need any beta - testing! ;)
Haha, sure!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”