Who makes a good, cheap mouse?

bhtooefr

04 Apr 2012, 15:15

I find that the cheap Logitech and Microsoft mice are decent, although I prefer detents on a scroll wheel, which leaves Logitech usually.

My favorite, though, and often cheap if you find the right search term, is the IBM/Lenovo ScrollPoint Optical 800 dpi. Unfortunately, there's only Windows drivers for it, although there are both 32 and 64-bit drivers. (No Itanium drivers, though, if that's how you roll.)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Apr 2012, 11:37

I seem to recall the Scrollpoint working well in Linux without drivers. Under Windows you definitely need the drivers, or else the scroller scrolls too fast.

off

12 Apr 2012, 11:57

Is that a wheel? A tiltbutton? An touchpad?
Looks really shite though, imho ofcourse.
Attachments
ibm scrollpoint optical 800dpi.gif
ibm scrollpoint optical 800dpi.gif (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2908 times

bhtooefr

12 Apr 2012, 12:03

It's a TrackPoint, actually. For scrolling.

In any case, my attempts to use one in Linux were made of suck - the IntelliMouse emulation sucks royally, and it really needed to original IBM scrolling protocol.

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

13 Apr 2012, 16:26

Honestly, any time someone posts 'good and cheap' in the title I say pick one or the other, not both. Good and inexpensive, maybe, but definitely not cheap.

vun

16 Apr 2012, 08:56

acfrazier wrote:Honestly, any time someone posts 'good and cheap' in the title I say pick one or the other, not both. Good and inexpensive, maybe, but definitely not cheap.
I would say both the Microsoft IME 3.0 and the Logitech G400 are both cheap and good. Might depend on your definition of cheap though, but to me those two are both cheap and incredibly good mice for their price.

off

16 Apr 2012, 13:44

logitech... really left a nasty aftertaste for me.
Admittedly, I still have an mx500 that is almost perfect even now (after about 10 years I guess), just some switches have been opened up and bent a bit to correct the metal back into a decent click; though looks-wise.. the rubber coating is almost gone, the print on the buttons is, and the logo on the top is partially gone- that looks the worst by far.
So why am I hating on a company from whom I have my first decent mouse that after all this time is still functioning; because it is an 800dpi mouse yet that has the quirk that it functions as a 400dpi one without their funky driver, and seeing how they went and declared it obsolete.. they didn't drop a guy for two days on a recompile to 64 bit, thus in these times it's 400dpi only. And that's not what I paid for nor what I like using, 800 I could probably make do with, but 400 with todays resolutions.. not for me.
Also, the logitech scrollwheel. The. Bloody. Scrollwheel. "Scroll. 'what I didn't hear you.' Scroll again. 'Ah doublescroll you want, ok.' " Seriously.

domin8r

11 May 2012, 10:23

I can really recommend the Razer Abyssus.. Think it's 40 euros.
Razer build quality without all the extra button crap :)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”