Trackball use in gaming

phirestarter

28 May 2014, 17:29

Hi there,

Using my main computer mostly as a media center, hooked up to a TV has worked for me except for one aspect and that is gaming. I can get by on most games with the Xbox controller, but my favorite kind of game as always been strategy/RTS.

Now, i have a small keyboard with a trackball built-in which is sufficient to launch games or movies or even the odd web browsing. But for these kind of games it really doesn't work.

I'm leaning towards the logitech m570, mostly because it's wireless, but it seems kind of expensive for something that i still don't know if will work for the intended purpose.

Thoughts? :)

Thanks.

SL89

28 May 2014, 18:56

hey there, i have the M570 (which is on clearance @ Target if you are in the CONUS and can find it in stock) and i use it pretty often for gaming. I'm no hardcore gamer by any strech of the imagination but i have had no technical issues with it, or left my thumb any sorer then any other sort of controller. Hope that helps!

Uncleleech

08 Jul 2014, 14:32

What sort of games do you play? Is it Turn Based because I could imagine that it's perfect for those kind of things, however for FPS and RTS or similar I could imagine it gets a little hectic

Vierax

22 Jul 2014, 02:26

Yes for some kind of games, trackball is a bit hard to use but it's not impossible.
I use it for turn based, action platform, even some first person view as FPS or Dogfight. IMHO It's less precise than a mouse and it's more suitable for reflexion games than action.
If you play RTS, you should consider a graphic tablet. I don't play this kind of games but pointing device in absolute mode is quick and precise. No need to buy an expensive Wacom with different pressure levels for that use and not a large one since it's more exhausting to do large movements (A5 is the most suitable for this).

Return to “Mice & other input devices”