Logitech G400 - Logitech MX518 Successor

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Jun 2011, 14:49

Seems to be the same as the old mouse, with a better sensor.

Link

J888www

12 Jun 2011, 21:17

The outline of this mouse has an attractiveness bordering to sensual, the hour-glass curves reminds me of the figure similar to.................................................ah, yes, a Coca Cola bottle.

I'm using a MX518 and will definitely purchase a G400 even if it's just to compare.

strike015

18 Jun 2011, 10:56

i might just get this mouse when it comes out since i need one real soon

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Jun 2011, 11:18

IIRC, there were two generations of MX518, and the 2nd one was a bit shit. Hopefully these issues will have been resolved in the new mouse.

TheSoulhunter

27 Aug 2011, 13:10

I wish they would have added a 4-way scroll-wheel...

The Solutor

27 Aug 2011, 14:01

TheSoulhunter wrote:I wish they would have added a 4-way scroll-wheel...

G500 inertial wheel and four way scrolling.

TheSoulhunter

20 Sep 2011, 11:50

The Solutor wrote:
TheSoulhunter wrote:I wish they would have added a 4-way scroll-wheel...
G500 inertial wheel and four way scrolling.
Well, I went with its big brother, the G700, for now...
I looks less elegant than the G500 but offers a 4 way scroll-wheel and a lot additional buttons!

Neat for quick one handed navigation:

Scroll-wheel Up/Down -> Scroll Up / Down
Scroll-wheel Left/Right -> Switch tabs Left/Right
Side button 1 / 2 -> Prev / Next
Side button 3 / 4 -> Page up / Page down
Additional buttons on top left -> Home / End / Close

pepoteES

08 Dec 2011, 00:37

the g400 is coming home in the next few days, so I'll inform you of its performance ;)

nullpunkt

02 Feb 2012, 12:38

the G400 is considered one of the top gaming mice currently available. coming from an mx518 i'm using it now. very good sensor (no acceleration, low LOD, good tracking even at high speed movements) plus PID LZ13333 and later versions come without prediction. price is fair and build quality is very good.
IMO, the only thing they should have kept from the early mx518 models are the skates, they replaced the 5 small ones with two larger ones + one small on the side which unnecessarily enlarges the contact area of the mice and therefore adding drag. but maybe I just have to use it a little longer to get the skates to slide as good as those on my mx518. they use the same material for the skates it seems, which is good.

grimman

27 Feb 2012, 01:12

nullpunkt wrote:IMO, the only thing they should have kept from the early mx518 models are the skates, they replaced the 5 small ones with two larger ones + one small on the side which unnecessarily enlarges the contact area of the mice and therefore adding drag. but maybe I just have to use it a little longer to get the skates to slide as good as those on my mx518. they use the same material for the skates it seems, which is good.
On the other hand, you should keep in mind that they aren't applied perfectly even, so initially you'll be wearing the feet down in sections rather than over the whole thing simultaneously. The harder your pad is, the better this will be since you'll end up having less contact area than you expect.

It's still not going to be as good as a number of smaller contact areas though, but this is something you can remedy quite easily if you aren't opposed to modifying, or simply replacing them completely.

I am very happy to see that the edges of the feet are rounded, preventing snagging on softer pads. :)

DasBeerBoot

09 Mar 2012, 20:33

Looks nice, but I'm fine with my mx518...it's perfect for me so I don't want to buy any other
Last edited by DasBeerBoot on 02 Apr 2012, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

rodtang

11 Mar 2012, 20:35

I can't use either of them as I hit the edge at the end of the mouse buttons.

Hakblok

21 Mar 2012, 17:14

DasBeerBoot wrote:Looks nice, but I'm fine with my mx518...it's perfect for me so I don't want to buy any other
Yeah that's kind of a problem you run into when you're marketing a mouse as the successor to the MX518. I never even made it to the 518, I'm still on a blue velvet MX510.

I'm not feeling Logitech's gaming mice at all right now. The best thing they've got going is a retread of a 2005 design and the rest of the range is similarly tired. I mean I love the 518 shape but they could've done so much more with it than a budget remake. Give it the MX Revo finish and wheel and I'd be all over it.

hamza_tm

09 May 2012, 22:45

Its a budget mouse, thats the main point

If they do more with it the price would be higher. They are purposefully degrading it so it appeals to a wider market.

phetto
Elite

02 Jul 2012, 08:24

hamza_tm wrote:Its a budget mouse, thats the main point

If they do more with it the price would be higher. They are purposefully degrading it so it appeals to a wider market.
lol it does everything a mouse is supposed to do, aim and shoot :ugeek:

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

03 Jul 2012, 12:47

TheSoulhunter wrote:I wish they would have added a 4-way scroll-wheel....
There's a substantial amount of negative reviews of Logitech mice which use the multidirectional scrolling wheel with switchable scrolling feel (between smooth, and clicky) design, one in particular is that it becomes hard to tell when you've actually pressed the middle mouse button, presumably as consequence of the magic needed for those scrollwheels to work. After using a few of those Logitech mice, I'm inclined to agree.

At any rate, these features are largely redundant for a gaming mouse.

edwardbailey

06 Mar 2020, 13:44

looks great but i am happy with a4tech wireless mouse and it works great

Return to “Mice & other input devices”