Slimblade media and View mode

andrewjoy

20 Aug 2014, 15:23

Does anyone with a slim blade know how to enable or use the features? I can program any button just fine using the trackball works software but i want to be able to use the document feature to zoom and pan around but i cannot do this

The so called on-line manual on kensingtons site is useless

nm156

21 Aug 2014, 03:24

Hi,
I don't own the Slimblade (Kensington expert instead) but if you are running a Windows OS you might try X-Mouse Button Control. It will allow you to reassign and program any buttons and is more lightweight than the Trackball Works software.

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2014, 09:59

More advanced remapping sounds useful i will give that a go.

The document and media control however are or at least should be, built into the slimblade and trackballwortks software itself. According to the kensington website and there youtube how to videos you should be able to press one button and be in media mode rotate ball for volume ball up to change track and so on. Same with the document mode moving the ball scrolls around the document, rotate now zooms in place of scroll and so on. I have looked through every single setting on the quite pathetic kensington software and its nowhere to be found.

nm156

21 Aug 2014, 17:39

One of the problems with the Kensington mice is that only the first, second buttons and scroll wheel are standard. Third and fourth buttons either need to have Trackball Works software or an alternative installed to assign them functionality.

I forgot that the Slimblade scrolls by rotating the ball. With XMBC, I'm not sure if you could obtain the same functionality as compared to Trackball Works, or at least how it's supposed to function. Document panning and so forth might function by assigning the media button to the 'Middle button.'

andrewjoy

21 Aug 2014, 17:41

Hmm i guess you could get document panning if you could latch middle click ?

The x mouse software lets me get close to what the trackball should give me by default so i will stick with that for now

if anyone knows how to enable it properly in the trackballworks let me know as that has an OSD to show you what mode you are in

zulios

22 Aug 2014, 15:28

I'll have a look at it, from what I remember it was easy to setup but not so comfortable since you could not choose on which button you want to assign these modes.

zulios

06 Sep 2014, 15:17

I looked everywhere I could and were not able to activate media mode in Windows. However, I am sure I could do it at some point when I bought the device, because I hated that mode and could not program the buttons to do something else.

If my memory serves me right, a specific software/driver was required in order to activate it. It might simply not be available for a more recent OS, and thus not distributed anymore on kensington's website.

Stabilized

26 Feb 2015, 17:39

Hey Andrew, did you ever get this worked out? I just got my new one from Aamzon and it comes with a leaflet saying that you just press the top right button to turn on view mode, but I can't find how to assign it in Trackballworks.

andrewjoy

26 Feb 2015, 17:43

nope you need the old software for it they removed that function

Stabilized

26 Feb 2015, 17:45

Are you stuck with those functions if you use the old firmware? And did you find a way around it, or are you using middle click to scroll horizontally?

andrewjoy

26 Feb 2015, 17:52

i don't know i never tired it , apparently it only works on vista

x mouse gets you most of the functions

Stabilized

26 Feb 2015, 17:56

Cool, will give that a shot, thanks! :)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”