Roccat Apuri: mouse bungee + USB hub - blue backlighting

davkol

13 Oct 2014, 16:34

I certainly wouldn't pay premium for a gaming-branded USB hub and definitely not for a mouse bungee, but I've stumbled upon some pretty good deals that included the Roccat Apuri, which combines both. There are two issues though: the rubber coating attracts dust, but isn't very easy to clean (especially the feet), and more importantly, the whole thing is backlit and all LEDs are bright blue. You might have already heard that blue light and good sleep don't go together, and there's more. I'm e-mailing Roccat to provide light control (e.g., DIP switch) in future revisions of the Apuri, but for now, I've "simply" removed the lights from mine.

There are six screws on the bottom side, three under the sticker on some revisions. Be careful when opening the case, because it's easy to break the feet (they're probably glued to the housing). Backlighting is provided by three through-hole and two SMD LEDs; desoldering them was a PITA.

JackMills

17 Nov 2014, 11:59

Well thank you for that link to the article about blue light and its effects on the metabolism. I found this one about the dark side of blue light.
But how did you like it as a mouse bungee? I have never used one and I wanted to know if such a device is an added value to your mouse usage.

davkol

17 Nov 2014, 12:41

I really like it, actually, as long as the cable isn't stiff and doesn't have memory, if you know what I mean. Perhaps it'd suck with low sensitivity, but I don't use that.

noobie94

17 Nov 2014, 13:18

I don't know but I did not get warm with this thing. When I pulled the mouse a little harder the Apuri was moving and the lights were kind of annoying. I actually sent it back the next day and replaced it with a simple mouse bungee. Love that thing

http://pc-maestro.ie/wp-content/uploads ... ngee_2.jpg

davkol

17 Nov 2014, 14:40

Well, that might have a lot to do with my standing desk—the bungee is ~20 cm above the tray (as obvious from the picture above) and never moves, unless the mouse falls to the floor.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”