With Geekhack down, who's reconsidering their keyboard hobby?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Jun 2015, 15:19

Anyone? Anyone? Geekhack is like a drug to me. Off of it, I'm coming down.

tootallforthis

30 Jun 2015, 15:21

Haha, I'm not. I'm just missing the entertainment the site provided.

mr_a500

30 Jun 2015, 15:28

Take the Deskthority drug - just as addictive, less annoying side effects.

ray4jc

30 Jun 2015, 15:40

Would have to sell a lot of stuff to get over this hobby. :)

Belfong

30 Jun 2015, 15:46

weak! you are so weak!

Heedpantsnow

30 Jun 2015, 15:47

Nope. Not cured here. Typing every day reminds me how much I love this hobby. :| :geek: :ugeek:

Oobly

30 Jun 2015, 15:48

Haha, not a chance!

Just made me more aware of DT and I'll probably end up posting here now and then instead of exclusively on GH. I have started to become a little jaded with GH recently. It has also become a massive time-vortex for me... I'm quite happy for the break, TBH.

CLiB

30 Jun 2015, 15:50

an analogy:

GH is to heroine as DT is to methadone

in these dark times, be glad DT is there and able to slowly bring you down as opposed to having to stop cold turkey

Charger

30 Jun 2015, 15:52

I only go to the build section of geekhack and here really since my addiction is more with making stuff rather then keyboards themselves

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Jun 2015, 16:14

mr_a500 wrote: Take the Deskthority drug - just as addictive, less annoying side effects.

Don't worry, I take the Dt pill whenever I need my dose of IBM vintage discussion and refined European humor.

henz

30 Jun 2015, 16:38

AAAAhh the fix, there is a refugee camp here on DT

colomb

30 Jun 2015, 16:59

As much as I miss GH, its been fun and interesting to dig deeper into Deskthority.

nova779

30 Jun 2015, 17:06

I didn't really realize what a great community DT was with all the information that it has, I was too obsessed with the "shiny" new things that are on Geekhack but when it comes down to it I am starting to like DT a whole lot more.

sethk

30 Jun 2015, 17:08

With GH down I have been doing more keyboard stuff, I have completely built 2 boards since it has been down

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Jun 2015, 17:34

So basically you're telling us DT is not a good enough substitute for your bad GH habit?

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 19:00

No artisan caps = huge void :lol: DT is better, it's like the European vacantion you never had the to take :D I have more comparisons but I'd better refrain from that for the moment, it might get weird :lol:

Muirium
µ

30 Jun 2015, 19:12

Come on. We *start* at weird. We're European!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Jun 2015, 19:15

nova779 wrote: I didn't really realize what a great community DT was with all the information that it has, I was too obsessed with the "shiny" new things that are on Geekhack but when it comes down to it I am starting to like DT a whole lot more.
And DT also has the advantage of being online most of the time :lol:

seebart

30 Jun 2015, 19:16

Muirium wrote:Come on. We *start* at weird. We're European!
Very well said. Anyone wanna place bets on how long our refugee camp will continue?

Air tree

30 Jun 2015, 19:20

Muirium wrote: Come on. We *start* at weird. We're European!
Plus the change of crowd is quite nice. I'm meeting some people I have never seen on Geekhack. :)

compuguy

30 Jun 2015, 19:23

nova779 wrote: I didn't really realize what a great community DT was with all the information that it has, I was too obsessed with the "shiny" new things that are on Geekhack but when it comes down to it I am starting to like DT a whole lot more.
I have to agree, though I tend to hang on the Mechanical Keyboards Subreddit though....

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Jun 2015, 19:24

seebart wrote: So basically you're telling us DT is not a good enough substitute for your bad GH habit?
I just can't fulfill my Keycap fantasies and desire for meaningless banter in the same way.

But really, DT is more than good enough to feed the addiction.

seebart

30 Jun 2015, 19:25

Well that's good to hear. You'll manage.

Muirium
µ

30 Jun 2015, 19:26

Air tree wrote: Plus the change of crowd is quite nice. I'm meeting some people I have never seen on Geekhack. :)
A crowd of IBMers!

http://deskthority.net/dt-awards-f80/

Honest question: have we seen a backlit keyboard here at DT yet that we've actually liked?

(Asks the guy with the sample Cherry MX Board 6.0 in his possession. Still making up my mind…)

Sed8op8

30 Jun 2015, 19:31

Rethinking.....definetly not, slightly lost yes. On GH I had it setup just the way I wanted. I received alerts in the classifieds ,GBs I was a part of,Some DiY sections etc... Also on GH I was starting to get a good idea who was who. So I do feel a little out of my element but on a positive note I pulled my Dolch apart and came up with a game plan to mod the connection, pulled apart a pack of gat Black's lubed and spring swapped them,cleaned my computer and desk and I am preparing to swap in my new GPU as soon as it gets delivered today. So that's good haha

henz

30 Jun 2015, 19:58

Muirium wrote:
Air tree wrote: Plus the change of crowd is quite nice. I'm meeting some people I have never seen on Geekhack. :)
A crowd of IBMers!

http://deskthority.net/dt-awards-f80/

Honest question: have we seen a backlit keyboard here at DT yet that we've actually liked?

(Asks the guy with the sample Cherry MX Board 6.0 in his possession. Still making up my mind…)

u like?

Muirium
µ

30 Jun 2015, 20:34

But the legends: they are useless at night!

As usual. That's the problem with backlighting right there. Put on good caps and it's pointless. We need legends that shine for themselves, rather than putting all the lights down in the keyboard and sacrificing the caps to make them transparent.

compuguy

30 Jun 2015, 21:08

Muirium wrote: But the legends: they are useless at night!

As usual. That's the problem with backlighting right there. Put on good caps and it's pointless. We need legends that shine for themselves, rather than putting all the lights down in the keyboard and sacrificing the caps to make them transparent.
True, though the look with those keycaps makes it look kinda cool and ominous....

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 22:34

To be honest I hate true backlight caps, I don't want shiny letters. For me the backlight is more like an ambient light that bleeds in the space between the caps. If well chosen the LED's complement the caps/case/plate/PCB ensemble. This is how I feel about it.

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 22:44

I've always wanted to see the Cherry OG White with Orange polycarb legends from Geekhack.

Edit: to see if the backlight looked good.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”