With Geekhack down, who's reconsidering their keyboard hobby?

pyrelink

30 Jun 2015, 22:54

I am not really interested in backlighting at all, but I must say I do love amber colored LEDs...

Also I must say this is the busiest I have seen DT. Its quite weird always having a new post or reply every time you refresh.

hoz

30 Jun 2015, 23:47

Muirium wrote: But the legends: they are useless at night!

[img]http://deskthority.net/resources/do-not ... /10539[img]

As usual. That's the problem with backlighting right there. Put on good caps and it's pointless. We need legends that shine for themselves, rather than putting all the lights down in the keyboard and sacrificing the caps to make them transparent.
Legends? what kind of casual are thou? oO,

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jun 2015, 23:56

Dolch is just ultimately wicked, that is my endgame set.

Unfortunately, I like IBM buckling springs and Alps. I did get a semi-set of Dolch-esque Alps caps from an ancient laptop, but I had to fill in around the edges.

I could dye some pearl IBM caps to hit the lighter color, but it is the white legends on the gray keys that really make it.
Attachments
fukidol.jpg
fukidol.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 36175 times

suicidal_orange

01 Jul 2015, 00:16

From filling in my profile and browsing round here I was reminded that my main board sucks (I don't like reds) yet I've done nothing about it as I got distracted going after shiny things, (artisan caps) and I have two other boards I can barely type on (a HHKB which I can't find the symbols on, even though they're right where they should be, and a JD40 which is kinda understandable) and I've just failed to build what should to be my best board (an ISO 60%) for the third time. All I have to show for all the time and money spent on this hobby is three near-useless boards and one I don't like, covered in random bling. Oh, and a numberpad made of hot glue which is pretty cool!

I've never been active enough to become a recognised community member on any forum and GH was no different, here is worse as I can't find a single thread where I have something to contribute - I'm seriously tempted to have a firesale and go back to my old Cherry rubber dome, yet I'm still here...

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 00:19

Remember kids, keycaps are like tires, or shoes. You can buy cheap ones, or expensive ones. They can last short or long. But they will wear.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jul 2015, 00:31

suicidal_orange wrote: I can't find a single thread where I have something to contribute - I'm seriously tempted to have a firesale and go back to my old Cherry rubber dome, yet I'm still here...
Would love to see that numpad! :D Also, the member to member section might be of help to trade or sell and eventually get your 60% iso board.
Last edited by guk on 01 Jul 2015, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

suicidal_orange

01 Jul 2015, 00:53

guk wrote:
suicidal_orange wrote: I can't find a single thread where I have something to contribute - I'm seriously tempted to have a firesale and go back to my old Cherry rubber dome, yet I'm still here...
Would love to see that numpad! :D Also, the member to member section might be of help to trade or sell and eventually get your 60% iso board.
That can be arranged, though be warned I'm not blessed with skills, equipment or environment for good photography!

I'll find somewhere to put a couple of pics shortly.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jul 2015, 01:05

I lack all of that too, doesn't scare me. Looking forward to see the pictures, thanks. :)

suicidal_orange

01 Jul 2015, 01:50

Hmm... my attempt at cleaning failed (the greasy residue looks worse in pics), there's lots of shine due to needing a flash and the colours are washed out so I don't think these are picture-thread worthy so here will have to do - I present the GluPad!
Spoiler:
From the front it looks pretty normal as it's covered in black Sugru between the switches, but from the back or side it's obviously a big block of hot glue with white wires visible going up the middle :lol:
Spoiler:
It's not perfectly spaced (very close considering it's done using just caps) and slightly flexible if you try to bend it but it works great. Just need to decide what to do with the back and sides as I don't think it's possible to get sugru smooth over such a big area and haven't been brave enough to try.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jul 2015, 01:57

I agree with the backlighting, I like the bleed as much as I do the actual letters. The white backplate on my Keycool RGB has helped me realize that. :P

On the topic of GH, I am starting to sell the majority of my keyboards. I saw a post on GH that really made me think about the fact that I'm wasting too much money in this hobby. Instead of buying a bunch of crap now, I will put stuff in my watch/wish lists and come back a few days later to see if I really still want it or not. :P At this point I will be working towards my end goal of a custom keyboard with Blue SKCM.

Now that I've spent some time here, I also really like DT a lot more than I did previously because there is a lot of retro keyboard discussion. :P

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jul 2015, 01:58

suicidal_orange wrote: I present the GluPad!
That really is cool! Numpad doesn't only have an artisan keycap, but a whole case.
You should totally share that, imho. http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/post- ... ml#p239484

inanis

01 Jul 2015, 02:06

suicidal_orange wrote: ...I've never been active enough to become a recognised community member on any forum and GH was no different...
If it makes you feel any better, I recognized you from GeekHack right away. And I remember your love of orange (perhaps the handle gives that away tho). I kinda feel the same as you, but no matter, my keyboarding hobby will persist!

suicidal_orange

01 Jul 2015, 02:07

guk wrote:
suicidal_orange wrote: I present the GluPad!
That really is cool! Numpad doesn't only have an artisan keycap, but a whole case.
You should totally share that, imho. http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/post- ... ml#p239484

I'll give it a clean and get some daylight pics, then perhaps it will be worthy of a proper thread. I'd rather finish it first but that has been on hold for a while...

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jul 2015, 02:16

Blaise170 wrote:
At this point I will be working towards my end goal of a custom keyboard with Blue SKCM.
I got there by accumulating a baggie full of blues (which took a couple of years, but seems easier now, provided that you have $100+ to drop) and transplanting them into a Northgate Omnikey 101 chassis. If you like doubleshot ABS, you are pretty well done at that point, but populating the board with superior PBT keys is still quite a challenge.

If you like a smaller footprint, start looking for a Filco Zero (or the not-respected but still-acceptable Ducky 1087XM) or, if you are really flush, a Kingsaver.

You don't arrive at your destination overnight.

suicidal_orange

01 Jul 2015, 02:17

inanis wrote:
suicidal_orange wrote: ...I've never been active enough to become a recognised community member on any forum and GH was no different...
If it makes you feel any better, I recognized you from GeekHack right away. And I remember your love of orange (perhaps the handle gives that away tho). I kinda feel the same as you, but no matter, my keyboarding hobby will persist!
:shock:

You've never needed help fixing a matrix so I guess you're a fellow artisan hunter? I'd like to say I recognise you too, but that would be lying. I hope your persistence outlasts the outage or you find whatever you're looking for here :)

inanis

01 Jul 2015, 02:30

suicidal_orange wrote: :shock:

You've never needed help fixing a matrix so I guess you're a fellow artisan hunter? I'd like to say I recognise you too, but that would be lying. I hope your persistence outlasts the outage or you find whatever you're looking for here :)
I read a lot, but don't participate as much as I could. I've been on there for a while now, but my post count is only in the high 200 range. I've been using GH to break out of my anti-social shell. I've been semi-successful, in that I recognize people even if they don't recognize me. I'm okay with that for now! Baby steps.

metalliqaz

01 Jul 2015, 04:48

henz wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Air tree wrote: Plus the change of crowd is quite nice. I'm meeting some people I have never seen on Geekhack. :)
A crowd of IBMers!

http://deskthority.net/dt-awards-f80/

Honest question: have we seen a backlit keyboard here at DT yet that we've actually liked?

(Asks the guy with the sample Cherry MX Board 6.0 in his possession. Still making up my mind…)

u like?
Identify, please.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jul 2015, 05:32

fohat wrote: I got there by accumulating a baggie full of blues (which took a couple of years, but seems easier now, provided that you have $100+ to drop) and transplanting them into a Northgate Omnikey 101 chassis. If you like doubleshot ABS, you are pretty well done at that point, but populating the board with superior PBT keys is still quite a challenge. If you like a smaller footprint, start looking for a Filco Zero (or the not-respected but still-acceptable Ducky 1087XM) or, if you are really flush, a Kingsaver. You don't arrive at your destination overnight.
I'd really like to acquire a Kingsaver after trying one out at the keyboard meetup, but that will probably be too expensive for me to put down on a keyboard. I actually bought a Chicony 5161 from Goodwill for $30 which was one of the first three mechs I owned. I later sold it for $60 not realizing how much people value them as I didn't much like the case and I wasn't very good at soldering back then. I now have a Leading Edge DC-2010 coming my way which will supply me with enough Blues for my project. Still haven't decided if I want a full size board or TKL yet though. Sometimes I really miss the numpad when using my present TKL. In any case, I really don't need 20+ keyboards floating around... :?

henz

01 Jul 2015, 09:59

metalliqaz wrote:
Identify, please.

Its a LZ-FE :)

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2015, 10:43

hoz wrote:
Muirium wrote: But the legends: they are useless at night!
Legends? what kind of casual are thou? oO,
True, I don't need them either. And when I first showed up on the scene I was mad for blanks. If I'd stayed true to that path I would have saved a lot in GBs over the years! But I strayed, not into forgetting my way around a keyboard, but into preferring the look of them with legends. And actually getting pretty heavily into *nice* legends, printed the right way, in the right font. Trouble!

So I wound up being the only one of several people who brought HHKBs to HaaTa's keyboard meet in San Francisco back in April who actually had one with legends. I wondered where mine walked off to at one point: someone borrowed it to explain the HHKB layout to a newb because every other one in the place wasn't saying!

That's pretty much where I'm coming from with lighting too. It's got to look right: legends nice and even, strong, and in a good font. Tall order, eh?

JaccoW

01 Jul 2015, 12:49

DT is a tough crowd. Though I didn't know you people didn't like backlit that much.
I kind of like the phospor glow IBM boards and of course my own Cherry board:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Jul 2015, 13:02

JaccoW wrote: DT is a tough crowd. Though I didn't know you people didn't like backlit that much.
Having been here a while now I can tell you that's not really true. I would never say that DT members generally don't like backlit keyboards.
JaccoW wrote: I kind of like the phospor glow IBM boards and of course my own Cherry board
Cool, nice board! ;)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

01 Jul 2015, 13:09

JaccoW wrote: DT is a tough crowd. Though I didn't know you people didn't like backlit that much.
I kind of like the phospor glow IBM boards and of course my own Cherry board:
That board made me love the GMK Charred Orange set and made me search for one ;)
I like backlight, you know boards are like women. The custom Korean ones with backlight and flashy and shiny are like young girls, IBM's and other vintage ones are like MILFs or Cougars. You just have to love them all.. damn I'm getting weird, I start talking like Elrick :lol:

Jokrik

01 Jul 2015, 13:48

I miss the GH Media sub-forum :cry: :cry: :cry:
I find no purpose taking pretty pictures of my new boards

ImageLZ SQ by Hanshen, on Flickr

seebart

01 Jul 2015, 13:51

DanielT wrote: I like backlight, you know boards are like women. The custom Korean ones with backlight and flashy and shiny are like young girls, IBM's and other vintage ones are like MILFs or Cougars. You just have to love them all.. damn I'm getting weird, I start talking like Elrick :lol:
Wow now were getiting some real insights here. ;) 8-) I like fullsize clicky. What does that say? :oops:

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jul 2015, 13:55

seebart wrote: I like fullsize clicky. What does that say? :oops:
That you know how to open a d+ sized bra with one hand in less than two seconds?

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

01 Jul 2015, 13:55

seebart wrote:
DanielT wrote: I like backlight, you know boards are like women. The custom Korean ones with backlight and flashy and shiny are like young girls, IBM's and other vintage ones are like MILFs or Cougars. You just have to love them all.. damn I'm getting weird, I start talking like Elrick :lol:
Wow now were getiting some real insights here. ;) 8-) I like fullsize clicky. What does that say? :oops:
If I answer that you will say that I'm getting weird again :lol:
I like them small and linear :oops:

@Jokrik: You have plenty of Media to post your cool pictures, I have always enjoyed your photos and boards over on GH -> http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/

seebart

01 Jul 2015, 14:02

OK daniel let's leave it at that. We both know what's meant. 8-)

Jokrik

01 Jul 2015, 14:04

DanielT wrote: @Jokrik: You have plenty of Media to post your cool pictures, I have always enjoyed your photos and boards over on GH -> http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/
Yeah, I've been trying to post more photos here
but it seems that my network provider just does not keen with DT server location
Even took me multiple tries to post one reply here, not sure why (keep getting timeout)
Gonna try with VPN later tonight

HoffmanMyster

01 Jul 2015, 17:18

Yes, that's right. It's not an addiction. It's a hobby. :twisted:

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”