geekhack hacked again!?

User avatar
thegunner100

03 Jul 2012, 17:52

mkawa wrote:@ripster (and anyone who decides to become part of his personal nunnery): if you make any attempt to test the robustness of your permaban, i will happily spend a saturday writing a ripster module that actively and silently keeps track of you and anyone who choses to help you and makes sure that they never ever have write access to the forum again.
:(... does that mean we'll never get ripster back?

User avatar
Soarer

03 Jul 2012, 17:59

thegunner100 wrote::(... does that mean we'll never get ripster back?
Good one. :lol:

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 18:29

@ripster (and anyone who decides to become part of his personal nunnery)
But they are all VIRGINS!

Soarer - Get Thee To A Nunnery!

iMav and the rest of the Geekhack Moderator team would rather just steal all my content.

Luckily all my keyboard, wiki/Ripster Guide, modifications, Reviews pics are all securely backed up because Safe Never Sleeps in the Ripster Household.
i will happily spend a saturday writing a ripster module that actively and silently keeps track of you and anyone who choses to help you and makes sure that they never ever have write access to the forum again.
oooooo...I'm so scared!

I STILL think this was the better 16x16 avatar for this subforum Webwit!
Image

Meanwhile I've hit 400 Link Karma AND free Reddit Gold! Soon I'll get to your 1000.
mkawa wrote:we will not be migrating your wikis to the new platform
Just as well, I was about to hire a lawyer to write that Cease and Desist dohicky. As they say at Reddit, IANAL (I am NOT a Lawyer).
TexasFlood wrote:
ripster wrote:Do you have an idea what iMav means when he says, "The Full Resources of Intel/McAfee Will Be Brought Upon This"?
Looks like he said "SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well"
My guess was he meant security software, but that was just a guess.
There ya go again. Forest for the trees.

Like scratching my wikis just to spite me. Fuck the noobs is the new GH/DT motto.

Actually the ones you have are out of date anyway. The NEW IMPROVED ones are all on my hard drive at my Safe Deposit Box in my Bank, where Safe NEVER Sleeps.
Soarer wrote:
mkawa wrote:we will not be migrating your wikis to the new platform
Why not? He made them CC-SA or something.

More importantly, a lot of them had contributions by multiple people. Very few were 100% ripster.
Hahah, what LIBEL! I WILL hire a lawyer to go after you.
http://www.seinfeldonline.com/jackie.html

DON'T ANSWER HIS QUESTION MKAWA! YOU'D JUST BE FEEDING THE TROLLS. MODERATOR 101
Killerbee wrote:Soo I also made the leap to here, I hope we can go back to GH, as Webwit might be around here to kick my ass :mrgreen:
Dooooood! This the kindler, gentler Webwit. Trust me on that.

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/nop ... t3057.html

Rofl - the answer to that is here in this backup of my wiki.
ripster wrote:url="/t/1255538/help-broken-my-qpad-mechanical-keyboard-after-spill#post_17215173"]Here's the link. GH is back up. THIS time I made a backup locally.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3124 ... ard-Switch
....somebody HELP THE FUCKING NOOBS! THAT'S WHAT THE RIPSTER WIKIS/GUIDES/MODS/REVIEWs/DUCKYJOKES are FOr!

Oh wait, I just realized my entire Ripster account is about to be blown away, including threads, pics, ripster guides, etc...

That's good. Lots of boobs to go censor. and LOTS of Ripster memes.

This will ALWAYS be one of my favorites. It was buried in the Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide under Webwit's Datahand. iMav JUST discovored it and nuked it a couple of months ago. Lol.
[H="3"]Optical and Hall Effect Switches[/H]
Finally there is the exotic. A Datahand uses magnets to hold the switch in open position. By opening it optoelectronically senses the movement and report the switch closed. Those Fraking Magnets - How DO they work!
"
Hah, the watermark is a joke. The picture is from Webwit at Deskthority.net.
thegunner100 wrote: Haha, I remember seeing that in the guide and it gave me a good laugh. But ripster, where / if ever, will we find your guides?

Mkawa and iMav will rewrite them as part of the GH MediaWiki team. CopyPasta is pretty simple. See the OCN Mechanical Keyboard Guide.

Maybe Soarer will be part of the team if he ever gets Soarless.
mkawa wrote:we will be assembling a new team to write an independent wiki based on all the resources available on the web and in the community. basically, we'd like to have a true collaborative wiki with independent unbiased information on input devices and on making stuff. the archives will be available as reference material, but will not be pasted directly onto the new platform.
Damn I'm right. My spies are GOOD!

Oh wait, "Archival Material"? What am I, the Library of Alexandria?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria
but will not be pasted directly onto the new platform
Remember WIKI TEAM. It is...

CTRL-A
CTRL-C
CTRL-V
Image

Soo....

Let's total these up:

1. Wikipedia
2. Geekhack Archived Ripster Wiki, henceforth known as the LIBRARY OF RIPSTER.
3. Deskthority Wiki
4. Soon to be 23 Moderator team COLLABORATIVE Wiki

I predict 4 will ship after GB4.

Hmm.. need an acronymn for Library of Ripster.

GeekLOR.

LOR?

LIbRip?

RipOAlexandria?
sth wrote:Honestly, why not just work on the DT wiki? It's already in place and has lots of stuff. Seems like a waste of time to start another when combining efforts would benefit the community as a whole.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Ask iMav.

What do you think drives Vigilink revenues? Why do you think he parked the forum where he could collect a few bucks?

I call this pic, THE SOLUTION TO THE OP QUESTION!
Image

CONTENT DRIVES DOLLARS! Web101.

Of course Geekhack will ALWAYS remain a good place to buy sell colored pieces of plastic.
Last edited by ripster on 03 Jul 2012, 21:19, edited 39 times in total.

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 18:39

we will not be migrating your wikis to the new platform

User avatar
TexasFlood

03 Jul 2012, 18:40

ripster wrote:Do you have an idea what iMav means when he says, "The Full Resources of Intel/McAfee Will Be Brought Upon This"?
Looks like he said "SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well"
My guess was he meant security software, but that was just a guess.

User avatar
Killerbee

03 Jul 2012, 18:40

Soo I also made the leap to here, I hope we can go back to GH, as Webwit might be around here to kick my ass :mrgreen:

User avatar
Soarer

03 Jul 2012, 18:45

mkawa wrote:we will not be migrating your wikis to the new platform
Why not? He made them CC-SA or something.

More importantly, a lot of them had contributions by multiple people. Very few were 100% ripster.

User avatar
thegunner100

03 Jul 2012, 19:29

Haha, I remember seeing that in the guide and it gave me a good laugh. But ripster, where / if ever, will we find your guides?

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 20:22

we will be assembling a new team to write an independent wiki based on all the resources available on the web and in the community. basically, we'd like to have a true collaborative wiki with independent unbiased information on input devices and on making stuff. the archives will be available as reference material, but will not be pasted directly onto the new platform.

User avatar
sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

03 Jul 2012, 20:48

Honestly, why not just work on the DT wiki? It's already in place and has lots of stuff. Seems like a waste of time to start another when combining efforts would benefit the community as a whole.

ripster

04 Jul 2012, 14:51

TexasFlood wrote:
didja wrote:
silat wrote:Do you have any proof what so ever that anyone has been infected?
Do you have any proof people haven't? The server has been compromised multiple times and is still compromised. The only safe assumption is that it is and has been infecting visitors.
My initial reaction was that this is all being blown out of out of proportion. While I still feel that way, I would also agree that it's the safe thing to assume danger given a server having been compromised multiple times and either still compromised or left in a state that appears so. There was an indication that it was intentionally left this way. While this doesn't make logical sense to me, I also no longer see any apparentl redirects or obviously malicious active content.

Even when the infected server web page was active, all I saw was the injected redirect from JS.Alescurf.C, no damage or permanent infection. But the potential is obviously there. Reportedly the attackers were able to get into geekhack and performer (either literally or equivalent) a "rm -fr" command. I don't know how that was accomplished but one has to respect that danger even if there is no proof (and I don't see any) that it can happen to a client simply hitting the server. Also at least one person reported in this thread seeing Downloader.Psyme. From what I saw at symantec, this is a version of an old (2004), low risk trojan. Apparently it exploits vulnerability in older versions of MS Internet Explorer to launch other Trojan programs on the infected machine. I don't run an older IE so probably wouldn't have been effected by this one. It's pretty scarey though as, for some running an old version of IE, it -potentially- can launch arbitrary code which could do basically anything. Of course if you're running an old version of IE, you're basically asking for trouble and almost certainly will get it, but still.

Sometimes the truth HURTS but if you keep ignoring the truth and permabanning the messenger how does THAT help?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247033/geek ... t_17625810
WhiteFireDragon wrote:url="/t/1247033/geek-hack/70#post_17625810"After seeing this thread just now, I did a full system scan and surely enough MSE found the two exploits. Cleaned it just now. What exactly does this exploit do to my computer?
joshd wrote: url="/t/1247033/geek-hack/70#post_17625983" Currently running Malware Bytes and found 1 problem... still scanning.

Do you think I should go over it with MSE as well?

Image
Ripster you replied to my last post in this thread BEFORE I wrote it. Can I buy a ride in your time machine? :lol:
Haven't you studied Quantum Physics. I am a Higgs Boson but CERN can't confirm 100%.

Now THIS is annoying. I can do Wiki edits all I want buy post only in 30 to 60 to 90 minute RISING intervals in the main forum.

After iMav swiping my Wikis I smell a TRAP!
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 19:11, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 17:18

ripster wrote:
TexasFlood wrote:
ripster wrote:Do you have an idea what iMav means when he says, "The Full Resources of Intel/McAfee Will Be Brought Upon This"?
Looks like he said "SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well"
My guess was he meant security software, but that was just a guess.
There ya go again. Forest for the trees.
TexasFlood wrote:
ripster wrote:Do you have an idea what iMav means when he says, "The Full Resources of Intel/McAfee Will Be Brought Upon This"?
Looks like he said "SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well"
My guess was he meant security software, but that was just a guess.
Ripster you replied to my last post in this thread BEFORE I wrote it. Can I buy a ride in your time machine? :lol:

User avatar
silat

04 Jul 2012, 18:01

thegunner100 wrote:
mkawa wrote:@ripster (and anyone who decides to become part of his personal nunnery): if you make any attempt to test the robustness of your permaban, i will happily spend a saturday writing a ripster module that actively and silently keeps track of you and anyone who choses to help you and makes sure that they never ever have write access to the forum again.
:(... does that mean we'll never get ripster back?
Not sure what is worse, his groupie or him.

ripster

04 Jul 2012, 19:11

silat wrote:
thegunner100 wrote:Not sure what is worse, his groupie or him.
I'm thinking...

I'm thinking...

EDIT: Oh wait.

YOU are the WORST! ESPECIALLY at STAYING ON TOPIC!
http://deskthority.net/search.php?autho ... 7&sr=posts

Thanks for the support thegunner100 but haters gotta hate!

So.. let's see, the topic was "Geekhack hacked again!?"

Yah, OCN users infected aren't really happy about that. I mean think of the 1000's of hits google is getting and people going....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247033/geek ... t_17625810
Spoiler:
Image
silat wrote:
I do bow to your knowledge of keyboards.
Edit: QFT!
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 20:16

ripster wrote:
TexasFlood wrote:
didja wrote:In reply to silat - Do you have any proof what so ever that anyone has been infected?

Do you have any proof people haven't? The server has been compromised multiple times and is still compromised. The only safe assumption is that it is and has been infecting visitors.
My initial reaction was that this is all being blown out of out of proportion. While I still feel that way, I would also agree that it's the safe thing to assume danger given a server having been compromised multiple times and either still compromised or left in a state that appears so. There was an indication that it was intentionally left this way. While this doesn't make logical sense to me, I also no longer see any apparentl redirects or obviously malicious active content.

Even when the infected server web page was active, all I saw was the injected redirect from JS.Alescurf.C, no damage or permanent infection. But the potential is obviously there. Reportedly the attackers were able to get into geekhack and performer (either literally or equivalent) a "rm -fr" command. I don't know how that was accomplished but one has to respect that danger even if there is no proof (and I don't see any) that it can happen to a client simply hitting the server. Also at least one person reported in this thread seeing Downloader.Psyme. From what I saw at symantec, this is a version of an old (2004), low risk trojan. Apparently it exploits vulnerability in older versions of MS Internet Explorer to launch other Trojan programs on the infected machine. I don't run an older IE so probably wouldn't have been effected by this one. It's pretty scarey though as, for some running an old version of IE, it -potentially- can launch arbitrary code which could do basically anything. Of course if you're running an old version of IE, you're basically asking for trouble and almost certainly will get it, but still.

Sometimes the truth HURTS but if you keep ignoring the truth and permabanning the messenger how does THAT help?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247033/geek ... t_17625810
WhiteFireDragon wrote:url="/t/1247033/geek-hack/70#post_17625810"After seeing this thread just now, I did a full system scan and surely enough MSE found the two exploits. Cleaned it just now. What exactly does this exploit do to my computer?
joshd wrote: url="/t/1247033/geek-hack/70#post_17625983" Currently running Malware Bytes and found 1 problem... still scanning.

Do you think I should go over it with MSE as well?
Whether you believe anyone was infected or not... In the spirit of "trust but verify", certainly anyone running WIndows who is worried should scan and clean as needed. See this thread for advice on how to do so if you need it. And I mean not just when they suspect an incident but on a regular basis. The links posted above don't shed any light as they contain no details on what was found in the scans. Most likely 99% of folks running Windows will find issues when running a full system scan with MSE or Malware Bytes. The real question is what is the issue and how serious is it?

Ripster you posted the only detai that I've seen. Again, you reported to have found Alescurf.C which is described here by Microsoft and here by Symantec. Read about it yourselves but looked to me like it just redirects the browser and sends some basic information about your browser to a web site, the sort of stuff that sites harvest from browsers all the time (anyone wanting to avoid this should read Ripsters earlier advice about gtunnel). Is it a good thing? No. Does it pose a real threat of damage or permanent infection? Not as I read the information, but again read for yourselves and come to your own conclusions. I can't comment on any other possible infectious agents as I have not seen them nor has anyone reported any to my knowledge.

Is there a record for longest post? If so, Ripsters above post has to at least be in the running, hah. Or most edited, 39 times (as of now anyway)! Guess that's working with the post limit eh? That must suck...

User avatar
TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 21:48

didja wrote:
TexasFlood wrote:Maybe didjaMav can fix it?
LMAO. I think I need to change my avatar. Imav was not who I had in mind when choosing it, I'm gearing up for Breaking Bad's season premier next month.
Dang, now you got me into Breaking Bad and you switched avatars so my new Saul avatar is lonely, ;)
Gotta love Saul, OK he wasn't there from the start but definitely one of the best characters.

From bettercallsaul.com (yes there really is such a site)

Image

User avatar
7bit

04 Jul 2012, 21:57

The title of this thread should be changed to:

GeekHack still hacked?

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 22:09

Q: geekhack still hacked?

A: no

User avatar
silat

04 Jul 2012, 22:32

ripster wrote:
silat wrote:
thegunner100 wrote:Not sure what is worse, his groupie or him.
I'm thinking...

I'm thinking...

EDIT: Oh wait.

YOU are the WORST! ESPECIALLY at STAYING ON TOPIC!
http://deskthority.net/search.php?autho ... 7&sr=posts

Wow that is some giant leap there. Hope you had a chute. You are #1 at posting reams of nonsense.
No one currently on these forums or GH will ever match you when it comes to off topic nonsense. And that link does not prove you point. Try again.
I do bow to your knowledge of keyboards.

User avatar
TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 22:33

7bit wrote:The title of this thread should be changed to:

GeekHack still hacked?
Or Geekhack hacked? Better Call Saul!
BetterCallSaulHacked.gif
BetterCallSaulHacked.gif (66.49 KiB) Viewed 4949 times

User avatar
The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

05 Jul 2012, 02:22

ripster wrote: Geekhack Archived Ripster Wiki, henceforth known as the LIBRARY OF RIPSTER.

Hmm.. need an acronymn for Library of Ripster.

GeekLOR.

LOR?

LIbRip?

RipOAlexandria?
RIPository

User avatar
TexasFlood

05 Jul 2012, 03:23

The_Ed wrote:
ripster wrote: Geekhack Archived Ripster Wiki, henceforth known as the LIBRARY OF RIPSTER.

Hmm.. need an acronymn for Library of Ripster.
RIPository
Good one...

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 08:40

A Library filled with books I wrote but no library card to read them.

User avatar
The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

05 Jul 2012, 10:27

Stuff them in your jacket and walk out the front door.

It was always fun when I recognized you through one of your sock puppets. Your posts are just too... you I guess.

RIPository seems fitting for a site filled with you and your knowledge. YOU would be the administrator and have complete dominion over your content and the Big Red Ban Button (BRBB). I have a feeling that you would never make more than 5 moderators though (if any) given your experiences with them.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 18:22

Why would a forum the size of Geekhack ever NEED more than 5 moderators.

iMav's method was to pick 23 unknown noobs from 15 years old to just graduated from College and can the bad ones because frankly I think he spends little time on the site and doesn't know who would be a good moderator and who would not.

If Mkawa couldn't code he'd be gone by now.

Ooops. I said I'd stop whining.
Spoiler:
Image
But Mkawa I thought THIS was a good question?
sth wrote:Honestly, why not just work on the DT wiki? It's already in place and has lots of stuff. Seems like a waste of time to start another when combining efforts would benefit the community as a whole.

User avatar
TexasFlood

05 Jul 2012, 18:48

Running a forum well is the best revenge? Lead by example and show how it's done.
Last edited by TexasFlood on 05 Jul 2012, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 19:57

? Too much work. I already spend too much time rotating OCN, Reddit and here.

I'm all about CONTENT, not moderation.

User avatar
TexasFlood

06 Jul 2012, 03:05

My bad. You HAVE made a lot of comments about moderation recently, thought you might be displaying an interest in it.

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 04:05

I only post once an hour. The epitome of moderation.

User avatar
The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

06 Jul 2012, 04:09

Yes, but you EDIT 100 times an hour!

Post Reply

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”