geekhack hacked again!?

dorkvader

02 Jul 2012, 01:48

yttrium wrote:I'm in possession of one of the switch testers. The forum went down before I was able to obtain the shipping info for the next person... what do?
PM Hashbaz here on DT.

http://deskthority.net/hashbaz-u735/

yttrium

02 Jul 2012, 02:35

dorkvader wrote: PM Hashbaz here on DT.

http://deskthority.net/hashbaz-u735/
Will do.

TexasFlood

02 Jul 2012, 05:39

ChaoticKinesis wrote:As for people on OCN reinstalling Windows, the fact that a few preemptively decided to reinstall their OS, on a forum where doing so is commonplace for many users, does not say much.
Yes, since my earlier post I have found two references to folks reinstalling windows in the threads related to geekhack. One said he was basically doing it as a safeguard but that he reinstalls Windows periodically and "was due" anyway. The other said he had planned on reinstalling in a couple of days anyway so wasn't worried about geekhack. Neither stated that they "had to" reinstall Windows due to geekhack. Again posts like these have been referenced out of context to blow the whole thing out of proportion.

dorkvader

02 Jul 2012, 07:34

TexasFlood wrote:
ChaoticKinesis wrote:As for people on OCN reinstalling Windows, the fact that a few preemptively decided to reinstall their OS, on a forum where doing so is commonplace for many users, does not say much.
Yes, since my earlier post I have found two references to folks reinstalling windows in the threads related to geekhack. One said he was basically doing it as a safeguard but that he reinstalls Windows periodically and "was due" anyway. The other said he had planned on reinstalling in a couple of days anyway so wasn't worried about geekhack. Neither stated that they "had to" reinstall Windows due to geekhack. Again posts like these have been referenced out of context to blow the whole thing out of proportion.
If one of those was me, please be aware that I don't plan on re-installing my windows any time in the near future.

TexasFlood

02 Jul 2012, 07:55

dorkvader wrote:If one of those was me, please be aware that I don't plan on re-installing my windows any time in the near future.
If it was you, I can't tell it was you as the posters didn't use the name dorkvader. So if you reinstalled windows, why did you do so? Nothing I've seen so far would indicate this to be needed. But if you have a different view, please advise. I hit geekhack and experienced the injected encrypted javascript redirect & nothing adverse happened to my PC whatsoever.

ripster

02 Jul 2012, 08:29

TF and Dork,

ya gotta look at the BIG picture sometimes TOO!

TexasFlood

02 Jul 2012, 08:49

ripster wrote:TF and Dork,

ya gotta look at the BIG picture sometimes TOO!
Well, I have gotten too far down in the weeds on this.

DanGWanG

02 Jul 2012, 09:05

TexasFlood wrote:Well, I have gotten too far down in the weeds on this.
What kind of weeds?

MagicMeatball

02 Jul 2012, 09:20

DanGWanG wrote:
What kind of weeds?
Stoner.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

02 Jul 2012, 10:38

I went over to Wisconsin today (yesterday - it's 3:28am) to get fireworks. There was a sale - buy one and get another one for 99¢. And apparently they give you a free $90 firework whenever you spend more than $300 too! A trunk full of (illegal) explosives is a happy trunk indeed! I had to chip in $100 but it was well worth it.

I have taken pictures of a large portion of keyboard shit I have to sell. I'm too lazy to upload the pics and start up a sale thread right now though.

I never understood why people like to get high. Does the ability to think pain you so?

jdcarpe

02 Jul 2012, 14:19

MagicMeatball wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:
What kind of weeds?
Stoner.
It's Mr. Dop now, actually.

bhtooefr

02 Jul 2012, 14:51

I'm amazed that they didn't take the damn site down until very recently (it's now on a parking page at least, it looks like).

Incredibly irresponsible to keep a compromised site - even if it isn't actively distributing an infection - up, once you're aware that it's compromised.

Honestly, at this point, I'd want to see a static, read-only version of Geekhack, with the domain registered for 10 years. Then just walk away from it.

Time and time again, the Geekhack administration has said that they really know what they're doing now, this time. How many times have they done this, now? And then it turns out that they fix the exact issue that presented a problem, and don't do anything else. I don't believe them at all this time.

That said, lay off the moderators - whether or not you agree with their moderation decisions, they don't have a damn thing to do with server administration. A good forum setup does not allow the moderators to do server administration tasks, or even some forum administrator tasks. (Then again, Geekhack has had a bad moderation setup in the past, see ripster deleting KeyboardLover, requiring a rollback, which he never should have had the ability to do.)

ripster

02 Jul 2012, 15:19

And then did to Harrison too! This was AFTER I pointed out the security implications of giving this power to 23 noob moderators, then getting permabanned for complaining about it!

SPAMOMATIC FTW!
SpamOmatic.png
SpamOmatic.png (108.95 KiB) Viewed 19037 times
IMav can be so dense sometimes, especially for someone that works at McAfee/Intel.

My ass would have been fired at Intel if I was as incompetent at running a forum as he is.
Last edited by ripster on 02 Jul 2012, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

bhtooefr

02 Jul 2012, 15:26

Actually, even a bad forum setup, you'd have to intentionally TRY to give forum moderators any access to the server side.

You'd basically have to give them another username and password for the back end.

dorkvader

02 Jul 2012, 16:40

TexasFlood wrote:
dorkvader wrote:If one of those was me, please be aware that I don't plan on re-installing my windows any time in the near future.
If it was you, I can't tell it was you as the posters didn't use the name dorkvader. So if you reinstalled windows, why did you do so? Nothing I've seen so far would indicate this to be needed. But if you have a different view, please advise. I hit geekhack and experienced the injected encrypted javascript redirect & nothing adverse happened to my PC whatsoever.
Could have been someone else, then. I just know I recommended to captain (I think) to reload his windows. I haven't re-installed windows, and probably won't for a while. The main reason is that I didn't go to GH on my windows machine. Secondarily to that, there didn't appear to be any bad stuff trying to get on my computer.

If I did believe I'd been infected, I'd reload the computer. All my backups are done, and I want to re-load it again sometime. It's been over a year. I'm just too lazy at the moment, and I don't believe it's necessary.

Ripster:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

TexasFlood

02 Jul 2012, 17:57

Doesn't bother me if someone wants to reload Windows and is set up to do so easily without data loss, it's a safe way to be sure. I just kinda hate to point less experienced users in that direction as they may not be set up to do this easily without losing data.

I've recovered Windows installs from horrible rootkit infections without resorting to this. Note these infected PCs weren't mind, I fixed them as favors to friends/relatives who had no backups.

So I would think that first doing some scans and following up as needed would be the best approach for most users.

I personally doubt there are many, if any, users with infections related to geekhack but I would still recommend doing scans to be sure, in fact I recommend periodic scans even when you have NO reason to suspect an infection. Trust, but verify...

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jul 2012, 18:12

DanGWanG

02 Jul 2012, 18:17

haha that's awesome...

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 08:33

I don't think they got the joke......

But the discussion of Cryllic keys and dyesub cracked me up!

And aren't those Devlin keys?

snarlingchicken

03 Jul 2012, 09:53

It's a shame GH went down T_T I hope it gets back up soon! Still checking in on the RACE GB seeing as I'm a part of that. Another reason that I wish it didn't go down is because I just picked up this little beauty while I'm on vacation in Korea.

Sure it's no TypeSolid Now (dang when I carried that thing, it felt like a solid metal brick) but I think I found out what my favorite switch is. Review to come! Depending on when I get my RACE and how I like it, I may or may not put the Leopold up for sale. The cherry stabilizers have me a bit iffy for now since this is my first Leopold but I may get used to it :D

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

03 Jul 2012, 10:08

I reuploaded this beauty since it was wiped out by R00TW0RM. Technically I was on-topic since it was biology class...

I was a bit pissed about the attachment nuking...

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 10:45

no one is happy about the attachment nuking. rest assured that will NEVER happen again.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

03 Jul 2012, 10:53

I could swear I've heard that there would be no more hacking or rollbacks again from iMav himself... Maybe this time it's for realsies?

dirge

03 Jul 2012, 10:53

Why was simple machines chosen over other software?

LTVR

03 Jul 2012, 11:45

@MKAWA, have you gone to geekhack.org lately?

Last night I got there by accident, by following a link from keyboarlover.com. To my surprice I found a hackers website!!

Did rootworm already changed its name to geekhack.org?

I hope there is some sort of strategy you guys have about letting them do this kind of things. Where are the cops?

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:16

DNS change may not have propagated to you yet. currently we've parked it on a blank page.

@dirge: i pulled the down the source code of every single major piece of bulletin board software and chose the one which looked the least icky by manual inspection. the other software we cross-shopped it with was xenforo, but the cost + the fact that it was closed + the fact that their major selling points are SEO and social media integration features we don't need or want ultimately turned us off to it. SMF is simple, has the most modern database abstraction and sanitization implementations, and on top of that has a very slick set of APIs for extension.

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 17:38

How is the IP Banning submodule?

Just curious.

And I'm sure that R00TW0RM is gonna give up when he hears all that. After all, the site is only attacked once every two months.

For the last two years.

Do you have an idea what iMav means when he says, "The Full Resources of Intel/McAfee Will Be Brought Upon This"? He posted that at Facebook but since he UnFriended me I have to use my Wife's FB account to follow what is going on there (not much).

I used to work at Intel. BIG company!
http://www.reddit.com/r/keyboards/comme ... 7b/c58v0eo

dirge

03 Jul 2012, 17:46

Thanks mkawa, one thing I learnt upgrading mine was switching for one of the big names. tapatalk integration's a must for me now.

Main issue was spam bots really for me.

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:47

SMF has tapatalk integration out of the box. tapatalk is extremely slick and we don't want to lose that access method.

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:50

@ripster (and anyone who decides to become part of his personal nunnery): if you make any attempt to test the robustness of your permaban, i will happily spend a saturday writing a ripster module that actively and silently keeps track of you and anyone who choses to help you and makes sure that they never ever have write access to the forum again.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”