geekhack hacked again!?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 15:35

Well, not much more for them to escalate other than blowing up the server building and holding your dog hostage.

Input Nirvana

30 Jun 2012, 17:51

TexasFlood wrote:
input nirvana wrote:You should copyright your content. Easy enough to do. Have it done by lunch on Monday. Posted by your express permission only.
Doubt it can be done so quickly. Per the U.S. Copyright office FAQ, the average time to process an application for registration is currently 3 months for an e-Filing and 10 month for Paper Forms. The work must be submitted to be checked for meet minimal standards of originality in order to qualify for copyright and that it is not derivative work.
Yes, I should have been a lot more clear on a tech forum :) My intent was to say the 'process' is fairly simple of a couple forms and the submission. No qualifying, waiting for service, multiple interaction. With a reasonable degree of confidence you can move forward with whatever actions based on filing. Years ago I've seen a 3 month start-to-finish, and the parties retained us to make contact with a C&D based on the assumption the material would be registered as their intellectual property. The C&D merely stated that there would be damages if the unauthorized use continued.

I realize this is not something Ripster is doing, or that GH does not have his permission to use the material. We're just talking in general broad terms principle. Not trying to ramp up or build a case. It would be nice to see iMav and his crew fix up the nightmare he's going through, get the valuable resource back for peeps, and maybe some ugly details could be resolved. Just talking. I talk too much.

Ripsters work on the wikis is absolutely admirable. Quality, content, depth, comprehensive, interesting, often insightful. Of course he owes Lego some royalties...but we're just talking over here :)

Webwit did a nice job creating the TEMP GH SUBFORUM. Good call. Insightful. Hats off to the duck!

I'm pretty much done yapping about GH being hacked, and the epic banning. These couple issues have illustrated to me how narrow my scope is (basically a couple ergo boards/pointing devices and related extreme mods). It's been great. "Meeting" a bunch of you peeps has been a highlight, I wouldn't trade. I've used these forums for entertainment and more recently, as therapy. I'm not on other forums, but I know they are typically more tightly controlled, and would not be as enjoyable as these 2 have been for me.

Oops....wall-0........

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 18:00

ROFL - it's not like ripster really cares about his content being 'stolen', since he tagged it CC-SA or whatever.

What depresses him greatly is that the page view counters might be reset ...

didja

30 Jun 2012, 18:18

mkawa wrote:it is in our favor to let them think we have given up. regardless, they're not bothering us at the moment. every time we move to take control of the domain they escalate, so we're laying low for now.
Not bothering YOU? What about your responsibility to site visitors who aren't patched and unknowingly get infected as a direct result of your lame decision to "lay low" and make a triumphant return? All this proves is that you've been owned so hard you don't know what to do.

"Everytime we move to take control they escalate?" Do you think they can take down a distributed host like wordpress.com? Do you think they can take down a simple, patched apache server hosting a plain html page or text file? Or simply park the domain. Any of these would be infinitely better than infecting people and would only take minutes to setup.

Here's some free education: To challenge any group of people who claim to be hackers is stupid. Either they have some skill and will own you again or they don't and you are giving them motivation and an opportunity to learn and prove they can do something. It doesn't take much knowledge or resources to take down a site that has limited resources themselves. I don't see GH coming back with redundant servers across multiple continents to fend off a few hundred pissed off script kiddies. Your best bet is to fix it and move on. If you challenge or insult them back you're motivating them and giving them a big target that you will have a tough time standing up to.

Start taking some responsibility and shut your server down. You do realize it's YOUR SERVER hosting the page, correct? And you might not realize other things could be happening on it right now.

If you want to leave it as is (getting buggered publicly), at least get creative and host a page that looks like the hacked rootworm page, that will confuse the hell out of them, then you can plot your surprise return to the internets with a shock and awe campaign that will send r00tw0rm away crying, to never return.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:26

Sending Mkawa as MrAmbassador to DT may not have been the best idea.............

I have never found his people skills the greatest.
Mkawa Response.PNG
Mkawa Response.PNG (84.85 KiB) Viewed 16473 times
Actually I never sent that. I think he's not German and my people skills aren't THAT bad.
Soarer wrote:ROFL - it's not like ripster really cares about his content being 'stolen', since he tagged it CC-SA or whatever.

What depresses him greatly is that the page view counters might be reset ...
The Ripster subforum content is tagged that. Not the Wikis. The Ripster Subforum contains UPDATED content.
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 18:30, edited 4 times in total.

Cindori

30 Jun 2012, 18:26

i have to agree... all this talk about triumphant return. phoenix logo for new forum banner, etc just makes me think this is the scenario that would play out:

rootworm team gets pissed, engage in a campaign to hack the new geekhack, they succeed because they posess momentum (rootworm is a forum, probably hundreds of ppl there, each with massive botnets) even if new GH is 100% hack safe, you would still be able to LOIC it down or whatever. and then what? if new GH would go down... it's surely the end of the site.

it's stupid to risc both the site and security of the users just for pride...

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:31

They are a forum?

Uh oh.

I'd send them a DoubleShot Melissa Kerned key as a peace offering.

Cindori

30 Jun 2012, 18:34

well they are a group, but they have a forum afaik
http://r00tw0rm.com/

"forum dedicated network security, programming, security software, computer and telephone networks, operating systems and human factors."

turkish, it seems
Last edited by Cindori on 30 Jun 2012, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:35

I'm not clicking that.

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 18:38

sorry, i was being too glib with the "triumphant return" business. you have an extremely valid point didja, and that is we need to bring the httpd down, which we're actually working on. we won't redirect the domain though, as that will just redirect their attacks.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:40

Tell iMav I hope he has a pleasant and safe drive to the data center.

Be careful pulling the plug. R00TW0RM may have overcharged the power supply capacitors.

Cindori

30 Jun 2012, 18:44

mkawa wrote:sorry, i was being too glib with the "triumphant return" business. you have an extremely valid point didja, and that is we need to bring the httpd down, which we're actually working on. we won't redirect the domain though, as that will just redirect their attacks.
but exactly how are they gonna attack say www.wordpress.com/geekhack?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:47

I want to see them take down Geekhack's Facebook account too!

That would be weird. Seeing one of my Wikis on Facebook.
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 18:47

spambots, harassment, etc. plus, they've shown that making them angry just invites more vitriol.

our "triumphant return" will just be getting the forum running again and ready to accommodate our fantastic community. we don't actually plan on mentioning them or this incident explicitly ever again.

actually, in general i have to apologize for being very serious and irreverent in turns without clearly demarcating which is which. seriously: we're working extremely hard on getting the forum back up and making it bulletproof. i've had long chats with admins of very large forums that i know, and we've spent a lot of time planning a new architecture that will allow us to scale despite attacks of most every kind.

not-so-seriously: screw these hacker guys. we will own them by carrying on as the queen would.
Last edited by mkawa on 30 Jun 2012, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 18:49

I don't think the issue at hand is psychological understanding of the enemy here. Obama just sent the Seals in and zapped that Osama motherfucker. Fuck Pakistan Air Space. Fuck Public Demonstrations.

off

30 Jun 2012, 18:53

ripster wrote:Sending Mkawa as MrAmbassador to DT may not have been the best idea.............
I have never found his people skills the greatest.[pic with forumpost]
Let me side with Mkawa on this one; his post (entirely out of context, no idea what thread it came from) in itself hits the nail on the head; too often (imho) has that shitfest infected otherwise good threads. Not that a little shit is all that bad, I'm sure there's people that appreciate it, but that place had threads drowned in it.

But I will say that I feel for you honestly believing Obaaama zapping Osama... fuck theatre.
Last edited by off on 30 Jun 2012, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 19:00

Well, this thread is a bitch thread with a long history, not a "GH Moderator thread keeps us informed" thread. See the first 10 pages or so.

and the OP
pita wrote:Got this line of arab text I try to enter the website:

ماتخدموا ما تخلو ناس يخدموا , أيا نيكو
As a Peace Offering I will delete all my posts and repopulate it with USEFUL CLEAR SPEAKING UPDATES in THIS thread:

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... t3019.html

We'll see how the REST of the crew behaves.
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

didja

30 Jun 2012, 19:26

service httpd stop

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 19:29

Back in the day it was a bit more complicated.

You had to push the BIG RED BUTTON!

t=2:30
I recommend following the shutdown here:

http://isitup.org/www.geekhack.org

Let the proxy get infected, not YOU!

I guess this works too but I don't know HTML

view-source:http://geekhack.org/
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 19:48, edited 3 times in total.

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 19:35

we're working as fast as we can given our other obligations in life. that's all i can say right now. sorry didja.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 19:41

Wonder if Ashort will go with him this time?

skryl

30 Jun 2012, 19:50

mkawa wrote:we're working as fast as we can given our other obligations in life. that's all i can say right now. sorry didja.
Any way I can help? I'm a professional developer and I'd be glad to lend a hand if that means speeding up the GH recovery process.

metafour

30 Jun 2012, 19:52

didja wrote:service httpd stop
Yep, this is exactly what should have been the first step as soon as the server was known to be exploited.

TexasFlood

30 Jun 2012, 19:56

ripster wrote:Back in the day it was a bit more complicated.

You had to push the BIG RED BUTTON!

t=2:30
I recommend following the shutdown here:

http://isitup.org/www.geekhack.org

Let the proxy get infected, not YOU!
That reminds me of a story about the trackpointer we all know, and many of us love, on IBM Thinkpad keyboards and some other IBM keyboards...

Found it recounted at Big Blue's big adventure
Red Badge of Novelty article wrote:
Red badge of novelty

One final change made to the TrackPoint was suggested by Sapper. The tip of Selker's and Rutledge's pointing stick had been black, a color that got lost in the black ThinkPad keyboard. Sapper said, "Let it sing," and the tip was changed to red, which brought about a closing act of corporate silliness rivaled only by Abbott and Costello trying to decide who's on first.

Hardy explains: "IBM had a cherished standard which said that the only thing that could be red on a product was an emergency power switch, those enormous switches on the mainframes. To have the little TrackPoint tip subjected to this same standard was absurd, but, given the situation at IBM then, we knew the red dot wouldn't get through the system. So we toned it down a shade and called it magenta."

Soon afterward, Designer Yamazaki received a call from an IBM standards watchdog, who wanted to know why manufacturing had produced these tiny red parts.

Yamazaki said, "They're not red. They're magenta."

"No," replied the watchdog. "They're red."

The two men battled back and forth, then phoned Hardy to adjudicate the argument.

"They aren't red, they're magenta," Hardy assured the standards overseer, which led to a rambling, philosophical debate on the ontology of redness. Still, the watchdog held his position--no red allowed, not even if you called it magenta.

Hardy suggested that they take the argument to a higher level, confident that the watchdog would shrink from continuing such a trivial discussion with senior management. That was how it played out. The tip kept its magenta classification, and in the coming years, with the introduction of each new ThinkPad, the color of the rubber tip was increased a shade until it finally became a bright red symbol of the brand.

didja

30 Jun 2012, 20:19

That IBM story makes me want to use an M13, and glad I have a W520 even though it is a Lenovo.

mkawa, post the root password and I'll shut it down for you ;)

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 20:23

Send me it too so I can back into my Ripster subforum and back up my Font thread.

DanGWanG

30 Jun 2012, 20:25

didja wrote:mkawa, post the root password and I'll shut it down for you ;)
Please shut it down for now so that I can stop worrying if I got a virus from accidentally clicking geekhack on my favorites bar!

Zehkul

30 Jun 2012, 22:05

mkawa wrote:regardless, they're not bothering us at the moment. every time we move to take control of the domain they escalate, so we're laying low for now.
They can’t do shit on a blogspot site. This behaviour is unacceptable. You have probably infected hundreds of PCs with this bullshittery!!
mkawa wrote:spambots, harassment, etc. plus, they've shown that making them angry just invites more vitriol.
You are so utterly ridiculous. Yeah, spam comments on a side on which you can disable commenting completely is so much worse than letting them have the site and do whatever they want. LOL.

This is incredible…

And again, they can’t do shit on a simple html or blogspot/wordpress. They might LOIC your server (which is still infinitely better than the current bullshit), but they have a hard time bringing Google down. Start showing common sense! I’ve seen dozens of hacks, all of them are more or less the same: The administrators are nonexistant or incompetent. They still managed to take their fucking site offline and redirect to a substitute site. It is YOUR responsibility to not infect all of your users’ PCs! And by now every single regular visitor has opened the site!!
Last edited by Zehkul on 30 Jun 2012, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

hoggy

30 Jun 2012, 22:24

ripster wrote: Image
Is this the latest design for the June rootworm key? I'm in for at least one.

May I humbly suggest that the text next month's novelty key is "*&^%ing script kiddies". I'll leave the choice of font open.

silat

30 Jun 2012, 22:37

Zehkul wrote:
mkawa wrote:regardless, they're not bothering us at the moment. every time we move to take control of the domain they escalate, so we're laying low for now.
They can’t do shit on a blogspot site. This behaviour is unacceptable. You have probably infected hundreds of PCs with this bullshittery!!
mkawa wrote:spambots, harassment, etc. plus, they've shown that making them angry just invites more vitriol.
You are so utterly ridiculous. Yeah, spam comments on a side on which you can disable commenting completely is so much worse than letting them have the site and do whatever they want. LOL.

This is incredible…

And again, they can’t do shit on a simple html or blogspot/wordpress. They might LOIC your server (which is still infinitely better than the current bullshit), but they have a hard time bringing Google down. Start showing common sense! I’ve seen dozens of hacks, all of them are more or less the same: The administrators are nonexistant or incompetent. They still managed to take their fucking site offline and redirect to a substitute site. It is YOUR responsibility to not infect all of your users’ PCs! And by now every single regular visitor has opened the site!!
Do you have any proof what so ever that anyone has been infected?

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”