dirge

22 Jul 2012, 16:47

Poor r1pster :(

Soarer

22 Jul 2012, 18:44

1 wouldn't go that far!

dirge

22 Jul 2012, 20:26

Well me putting a one in his name was just a daft hint at how people will get around the ripst3r swear filter.

But he's never done anything to me, so while I really do respect plenty of the people that don't care for him. But (maybe not this forum) I do get the sense some people jump on the ripster hate bandwagon without reason.

The ignore button is there for people to use, only person I've ever used it on was glossy.

Don't take this as me sticking up for the guy, he's more than capable of doing that himself. That said I do wish they'd remove the geekhack ban on him. The reaction was more entertaining over there :)

ripster

22 Jul 2012, 20:49

dirge wrote: The reaction was more entertaining over there :)
ಠ_ಠ

This is one of the most viewed threads at DT.

Still, THIS IS the best summary of this mongo thread.

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p49283

Oh wait, it IS all Geekhack Content, since censored. Typical Geekhack.

If you don't agree with it CENSOR IT.

http://imgur.com/a/KuSG5#0
Last edited by ripster on 22 Jul 2012, 21:22, edited 3 times in total.

dirge

22 Jul 2012, 20:58

The reaction I was talking about was keyboardlover (couldn't remember the name till I read the link). His name reminds me of the south park episode "chicken lover" although to be clear I don't think he violates keyboards.

ripster

22 Jul 2012, 21:22

NOTE TO REPLIERS: PLEASE TIME YOUR POSTS ON THE HOUR SINCE I AM PM/POST THROTTLED/CENSORED HERE AT DT.
dirge wrote:The reaction I was talking about was keyboardlover (couldn't remember the name till I read the link). His name reminds me of the south park episode "chicken lover" although to be clear I don't think he violates keyboards.
We buried the hatchet long ago in our mutual despise of Geekhack Moderators. He says hi from Amsterdam but doubt he'll see Webwit.

Soarer

22 Jul 2012, 21:45

Eh dirge, you not get that one? Short for "One wouldn't go so far as to say 'poor ripster'", in a snobby voice :D

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 01:24

Soarer, WHY are you continuing to push for attachments at Geekhack?

As a result I had to send iMav and the rest of the team a DMCA takedown notice.
ripster wrote:To: iMav
CC: reaper tsangan rknize mkawa and rest of Geekhack Moderation Team

I have decided to rescind my CC with attribution license for the site http://www.geekhack.org for my pictures due to the rather childish behavior of the moderation team there. This should NOT be a problem since the pictures seem already taken down. This includes Ripster pictures WITH and WITHOUT copyright.

Please don't make me have to contact the ISP with a lawyer. I live next to tons of them already.

This letter is official notification under the provisions of Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) to effect removal of the above-reported infringements. I request that you immediately issue a cancellation message as specified in RFC 1036 for the specified postings and prevent the infringer, who is identified by its web address, from posting the infringing photographs to your servers in the future. Please be advised that law requires you, as a service provider, to “expeditiously remove or disable access to” the infringing photographs upon receiving this notice. Noncompliance may result in a loss of immunity for liability under the DMCA.

I have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of here is not authorized by me, the copyright holder, or the law. The information provided here is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I swear under penalty of perjury that I am the copyright holder.

Please send me at the address noted below a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter.

Sincerely,

/s/ Rip Ripster
Email: ripster@deskthority.net

Thanks!
Řĭpster
Last edited by ripster on 23 Jul 2012, 02:08, edited 3 times in total.

dsjbirch

23 Jul 2012, 01:32

"I have a good faith believe" should be belief?

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jul 2012, 01:43

Nice personal info at end of post.

I wonder if this notice includes or excludes all the copyrighted material by others you posted.

The first thing GH should do is ask ripster for a complete list of posts and filenames of claimed violations. That'll keep him busy for a while.

damorgue

23 Jul 2012, 01:51

This case is actually fairly interesting. SInce ripster himself psoted them to begin with and mixed them in everywhere, one can not expect them to sort through it all and remove the content in question. If this was true, one could completely demolish things by entering stuff every here and there and, afterwards, claim that the other party should sort through it all to remove that content. What changes this is that everything is taken down, and who is responsible for providing the content and making it public when it has been taken down. As it stands, I don't think they can just make everything available again since this would be posting his property etc, even though their database is riddled with said content and very hard to sift through now. Interesting to see what happens.

Oh btw, ripster, you are probably the biggest and almost the only reason why I am interested in input devices today.

Soarer

23 Jul 2012, 01:58

ripster wrote:Soarer, WHY are you continuing to push for attachments at Geekhack?
Simple, it should be higher priority than putting your name in the profanity filter!

Anyway, good luck with the lawyers...
CC licenses are not revocable. Once a work is published under a CC license, licensees may continue using the work according to the license terms for the duration of copyright protection.
- CC FAQ - What if I change my mind?

dsjbirch

23 Jul 2012, 02:05

We all admire generous souls. But if you want to be generous, we want you to think carefully about it before you are...

"Aww schucks", that had all the potential for a really interesting developing chapter in the R.i.p.ster saga.

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 02:09

First thing is kill all the lawyers.

Anyway first they have to post pics.

That seems to be beyond their technical abilities.

This 30 minute delay means posting is like transatlantic communication over a tin can and string.

Řĭpster aka the Killer Happy Rainbows Boogie Man

Take 'Řipster' out of the swear filter.
« on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 09:15:48 »
Řĭpster is banned. Fair enough, ripstér certainly deserved it.

But for better or worse, ripśter is a large figure in this scene, and there's bugger all chance of you changing that.

So adding his name to the swear filter just appears childish and petty. Are you going to add all the variations that people will use to circumvent it? Will you reprimand / temp-ban people who break the rule of not circumventing the swear filter, just to mention ripsteŗ? It's not his name that is offensive, it was his behaviour.
Online Kellybear

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Refined Clicker

Re: Take 'Řipster' out of the swear filter.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 09:18:14 »
What happens when you say happy rainbows?

WOW LOL. HAPPY RAINBOWS GUYS.
Online Soarer

Honk!

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 09:19:56 »
Happy rainbows you too!

:-)
Offline longweight

Refined Clicker
http://www.key-bored.net

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 09:20:47 »
Amazing.
hwww.key-bored.net
Offline aeta

Junior Clacker

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 09:40:53 »
If i don't try it i'll never know about happy rainbows
Online thegunner100

(╯°□°)╯︵
Grand Clacker
LF Pink topre CC (Original or octopink)
/u/947714

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 15:07:58 »
Happy rainbows! Censoring ripst3r wont prevent people from talking about him.
Filco MJ1 TKL ~ CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ HHKB 2 ~ Cherry G80-3190.
Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460
Online AKIMbO

Fire in the Taco Bell!
Grand Clacker

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 15:16:50 »
happy rainbows is censored...why? That's petty.
Filco Black Ninja TKL | Filco Camo TKL | KBT Race L.E. | Unicomp Classic | 2x IBM Model F AT (modded & stock) | IBM Model F XT | Realforce 87U EK Edition
I do stepped capslock modding...PM me for quotes.
Offline The_Beast

I like wood ಠ_ಠ
Refined Clicker
I like wood ಠ_๏

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 15:42:59 »
happy rainbows

edit, lol
Willing to buy extra Poker PCBs if you\'re selling - PM me
WASD V1 Custom | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill RK-9000RE
Online silat

Refined Clicker

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:28:12 »
Who is this ri p ster?
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //
Online demik

ಠ_ಠ
Honk!
I'M MESSING WITH DEMIK'S TITLE!

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:33:32 »
son of a bitch can't say happy rainbows?

NAZI BLAH BLAH BLAH CRYING BLAH HITLER BLAH BLAH BLAH

no but really, going a little too far with the filtering.
|||SIIG|Realforce|Cherry|356mini|HHKB|Access-IS|MX Mini|||
Online Findecanor

Honk!

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:37:34 »
This just cracks me up ...
Friends don\'t coerce their friends to use Facebook.

My daily drivers: Dolch G80-1813HFX (Cherry MX Blue dampened with dental bands), Topre Realforce 105UB (variable force)
Online thegunner100

(╯°□°)╯︵
Grand Clacker
LF Pink topre CC (Original or octopink)
/u/947714

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:38:44 »
happy rainbows are everywhere!
Filco MJ1 TKL ~ CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ HHKB 2 ~ Cherry G80-3190.
Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460
Online Kellybear

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Refined Clicker

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:46:34 »
Quote from: demik on Sunday, 22 July 2012, 18:33:32

son of a bitch can't say happy rainbows?

NAZI BLAH BLAH BLAH CRYING BLAH HITLER BLAH BLAH BLAH

no but really, going a little too far with the filtering.

Filter happy rainbows, unfilter bitch. What's logic?

Print

Pages: [1] Go Up
« previous next »

geekhack »
geekhack business »
feedback/suggestions »
Take 'Řipster' out of the swear filter.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
sloppy captcha before deletion

fuck this Geekhack kindergarten shit

Luckily there is ONE place where it's All Click And No Clack:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

Rafen

23 Jul 2012, 04:03

After seeing all this and how childish the mods have become at GeekHack I am thinking about having my account deleted and making a permanent home here at DT.

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 04:10

It's like kindergarten and the head babysitter is absent.

I AM glad they kept the old VINTAGE stylesheet.

SIMPLE is my fav while sockpuppeting over there.

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 05:34

Soarer wrote:Whoopee Doo.

It all stinks without any of the old pictures/attachments, and there's apparently little intent to do anything about it, even though most of them would be recoverable.
Look, I know there's no full time employees etc etc. I'm speaking not from a sense of entitlement, just as someone who's put a fair bit in over the two years I've been here (as well as a fair bit of douchbagging, I admit). And I simply didn't know if the other post had been noticed at all.

The thing is, last I looked, I didn't see restoring old attachments on the roadmap. I don't know if that's because of a lack of technical ability, or because of a mistaken belief that it will all be rebuilt by users, or that they are not considered as important as (I think) they are, or something else. Reading between the lines of various other posts, it seems as though you guys had already given up on restoring them, for whatever reason.

So, like, what's the plan, man? And is there any way I can help with it? Does my idea above have any merit, or is there a better method?

Seems to me like VB4 would've had pretty much the table that is needed already, and the rest would be mainly a set of regular expressions to replace [attach]s and [url]s in the post display functions. And of course, making sure not to introduce any vulnerabilities (although the input to these replaces should already be sanitised by SMF).

Naturally I don't expect anything to happen straight away, but a nod that it will happen if it's possible would be nice!
GIve up.

I think that R00TW0RM erased the majority of the images and iMav did not have a proper backup.

Mkawa already said that!!!!!
mkawa wrote:the first attack was an indiscriminate rm -rf in the directory the attachments sat in. unfortunately, by coincidence this also managed to get the backups, which were mounted at the time. we were caught off guard (THOSE CYLON SCUM), but once imav realized what was happening, we managed to save everything else.

and yes, we're just as broken up about losing all that data as you are. the new platform will have a significantly more robust set of backup solutions.
He also said this the little prick. FUCK KEYBOARD SCIENCE MOAR CLICKCLACK is the new Geekhack Motto.
mkawa wrote:we will not be migrating your wikis to the new platform
I still want my $60 Donation back iMav. You have GOT to be the worlds worst forum moderator.

Soarer

23 Jul 2012, 05:57

ripster wrote:GIve up.

I think that R00TW0RM erased the majority of the images and iMav did not have a proper backup.

Mkawa already said that!!!!!
When he said that, the site was still up, and the loss appeared to be limited to most of the attachments added since about Febuary. My guess is that there IS a backup from some point when iMav was upgrading the hardware.

ripster

23 Jul 2012, 06:10

Geekhack is surrounded by the cone of silence.

You will never know.

codehead

24 Jul 2012, 17:02

W.T.F. ??! Well, that makes GH just another forum then. Won't be seeing me in there... Not that it would make any difference though :D

Charlie_Brown_MX

24 Jul 2012, 17:32

codehead wrote:
W.T.F. ??! Well, that makes GH just another forum then. Won't be seeing me in there... Not that it would make any difference though :D
“Your” being happy rainbows, or “your” being *everyone*?

dsjbirch

24 Jul 2012, 18:48

happy rainbows blatantly

codehead

24 Jul 2012, 22:03

I was assuming "your" as in "ripster's". Referring to ripster's post above. But nevertheless, if there's no GH wiki with the content there was before the hack, there's a significant lack of precious info.

Charlie_Brown_MX

24 Jul 2012, 22:23

codehead wrote:I was assuming "your" as in "ripster's". Referring to ripster's post above. But nevertheless, if there's no GH wiki with the content there was before the hack, there's a significant lack of precious info.
The wiki over there was dreadfully disorganised, but it did have a lot of good stuff in it. It’s a shame nobody thought to mirror or otherwise archive it, since GH’s moderators certainly don’t seem to be interested in preserving it.

Input Nirvana

28 Jul 2012, 23:22

Hey you guys....

All bad that happens will eventually pass....

I've been working at my slave wages now for 90 days (60 hours weekly last 6 weeks) and slowly paying off the massive debt I incurred, and have gotten the other messes identified or under control even if everything isn't completely resolved. Selling stuff, getting used to a crazy schedule, working out of town, etc. I have not done as much as I could have to clean up life, but when you work massive hours....somethings gotta give.

The stalker still sends the occasional text/email...usually at 2am when it's drunk...and drives by constantly. I'm going to go to try and get the restraining order again. It wants 'to talk'...pathetic. I've never ever responded...I now know this is what the parasite wants...contact to validate it's shitty feelings. It was shut down by all the people it contacted when it hacked my email. I'm touched that girls and former employees from 10 years ago defend me so strongly after so much time. I'm gratified.

I finally looking for a higher paying job with a better overall situation. I have one or two possibilities and will move closer to the bay area in about a month once I lock down one of these jobs. I decided to go back into self-employment after the first of the year. A big decision considering all that's happened. I made that decision while driving to the bay area at 4:30 am one morning. Strong thinking time.

I met a sweet girl accidentally over a month ago. She is 200 miles away, so I've only seen her once, but there is a pretty strong attraction. I've told her almost everything... Hard to say what will happen, I certainly was not looking for a girlfriend...I mean my life is a disaster! But I've illustrated where I am, where I have been (which is impressive) and where I think I want to go, with an associated timeline. She's sexy as hell. Schwing!!!!

So basically I anticipate the job change and move in 20-60 days maximum. In that same time most of all things get addressed/settled other than the longer-term business debt and filings I still carry, but that too will eventually be taken care of.

In spite of the tough path I've had recently, I've not hurt, burned, lied, cheated, bailed, stiffed, let down, not paid, scammed anyone or anything. I sleep well at night knowing I'm giving 100% to those I'm obligated to. The only entity that feels that I'm a scumbag is the parasitic stalker, that still sends texts to a former employee of mine (that it met) asking why he still deals with me considering how I ripped it off, used it, and scammed it. So it still blames me for all it's problems. Whatever. If that's the only entity that feels slighted...I'm comfortable with that.

I give you this update so anyone that has had or is having some pretty bad situations...no matter how horrible it may seem (mine was pretty shi-TAY)...there is always tomorrow...and it can be as good as you make it. I wonder how much better things would be if I was smarter, more careful, more talented, stronger, etc. Any of you that may feel overwhelmed or let down, or hopeless, just tap into your family/friends for support, make a reasonable plan that you can live with, and start doing what makes you happy. It comes from the inside, it's definitely NOT external. Never think that it is, 'cause it ain't.

It is what it is.

And I sincerely appreciate the awesome PMs you guys have sent. I had a couple nights where I was going to sleep being thankful for the generous offers and support from you. I do not forget such things and even in my crappy situation am trying to pay it forward.

<copy GH and DT>

Icarium

28 Jul 2012, 23:33

I'm glad things are looking up for you. :)

cactux

28 Jul 2012, 23:53

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Glissant

30 Sep 2012, 20:05

Ripster is amazing..ly self centered ;).

MyNameIsFinn

12 Apr 2013, 03:53

What the hell, I come back to like 30 pages..

Awesome

MyNameIsFinn

27 Oct 2013, 02:17

Wtf, why in gods name is this the most popular topic, anyhow. Hi there.

Also, Im not really the same anymore, so no hard feelings with geekhack, I still hang around there, post on here and there every couple months. Only have my HHKB and Das left though. And a bunch of assorted year old keys.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”