Geekhack updates: WE ARE BACK

kalrykh

12 Jul 2012, 00:40

I blame acid burn and zero cool.

domoaligato

12 Jul 2012, 00:53

kalrykh wrote:I blame acid burn and zero cool.
+1

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Jul 2012, 01:14

The drama. I wonder how long before they will be like this.

rknize

12 Jul 2012, 01:52

Thanks for letting us camp here. I'm sure you'll be happy when we're out of your hair.

ripster

12 Jul 2012, 02:00

God. Me too.
Last edited by ripster on 12 Jul 2012, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeatball

12 Jul 2012, 02:20

ripster wrote:God. Me too.
Says the person who spends the majority of his time in the "Geekhacker refugee camp"

:D

ripster

12 Jul 2012, 21:15

mM,

Nice avatar.

My reaction was the same when I clicked on....

Www.geekhack.org

rknize

12 Jul 2012, 21:21

The post you had here before was better.

jdcarpe

12 Jul 2012, 22:15

To me, THIS is a magic meatball:

MagicMeatball

12 Jul 2012, 22:16

jdcarpe wrote:To me, THIS is a magic meatball:

DanGWanG agrees with that too, JD

:D

ripster

12 Jul 2012, 22:25

rknize wrote:The post you had here before was better.
Demongolated.

didja

13 Jul 2012, 01:02

ripster

13 Jul 2012, 02:08

UPVOTE for proper use of Comic Sans.

I love the Awesome Icon for the Geekhacker refugee camp.

We will MISS you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DT Forum Spy.PNG
DT Forum Spy.PNG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 4981 times

Last edited by ripster on 13 Jul 2012, 02:38, edited 4 times in total.

TexasFlood

13 Jul 2012, 02:33

Noticed a nice new site status notification at geekhack.org ...

Site Status

2012-07-08
Hardware recovered and some services restored.

2012-07-11
Machines up, running, and secured

ripster

13 Jul 2012, 02:41

Where are the machines running to?

ROFL, I first read that as machines up, running, and scared.
Last edited by ripster on 13 Jul 2012, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

TexasFlood

13 Jul 2012, 02:48

TexasFlood wrote:Noticed a nice new site status notification at geekhack.org ...

Site Status
2012-07-08
Hardware recovered and some services restored.
2012-07-11
Machines up, running, and secured
ripster wrote:Where are the machines running to?
Circles? At least for now. Jogging to stay in shape, ;)
ripster wrote:ROFL, I first read that as machines up, running, and scared.
They may be scared, and not without good reason, :lol:

rknize

13 Jul 2012, 03:19

A little fear can be a good thing.

TexasFlood

13 Jul 2012, 03:23

rknize wrote:A little fear can be a good thing.
It has been for me, keeps one from getting complacent.

mkawa

13 Jul 2012, 16:37

sorry, i'm going to have to hit and run here, but look: i'm out of town right now, imav is also out of town, everyone has normal++ responsibilities, and we're still putting out little fires that need to be put out before the serious migration and software turn-up work can even be started. i tried to make it extrmeely clear in the official update that we would not come up this week, and i don't really appreciate that it's somehow expected that we would anyway.

juser123

13 Jul 2012, 17:45

You know what I don't appreciate? Ordering a keyboard, waiting for almost 7 months for it to ship. Not getting any communication from the group organizer on what's going on. He could have told us whether he's in contact with the manufacturer, if he plans on doing anything if they don't meet their deadline or flat out don't honor their agreement. But no for 7 months you had many patient people who basically had the faith of a saint.

After all that nonsense, the site goes down and you guys do nothing to get in contact with us; no e-mail goes out, nothing. iMav doesn't even have the decency to come here himself and say what's happening. He sends you to do his talking for him. How difficult is it to start the process to get these fucking things out to people? I would think that is more important than getting the site up at this point. You have no obligation to these people to get the site back up but you know who you do have an obligation to? The participants in the group buy where there is almost $10,000 worth of product sitting in I'm assuming iMav's house.

You guys are unprofessional and there's no way of talking your way out of that after all that's happened.

thegunner100

13 Jul 2012, 17:52

A panda eats, shoots, and leaves.

mkawa

13 Jul 2012, 18:07

imav has been working almost literally 24/7 to do the following: get gh back up (because no matter how much you don't think he has an obligation to do so, everyone else does), receive, itemize and bill for the race GB, and work a full-time++ job that has him traveling nearly every week.

unfortunately, the wait time on the race GB up until LAST WEEK has been 100% out of imav's control. i want to make this crystal clear: vortex PROMISED several times to send product and broke each and every promise up until several weeks ago. each broken promise caused extra work for imav.

now, as to how much work it is to finish billing and delivery; i don't know if you have moved 10,000$ worth of product before (FOR EXTREMELY MINIMAL IF ANY PROFIT, BY THE WAY), but it is extremely time consuming, and when you add the above, and the near constant unplanned and maliciously byzantine errors he has had to deal with (up until now, ALONE), it's a miracle that anyone will be getting product or a working website within the next week or two.

it's also impossible to send out product while you're traveling for work, as he is right now. so a) simmer down, and b) SNIP

i should have said at the beginning of this that i'm cranky, but at the moment, i don't care. the core, 100% volunteer team, has all been working nights (and sometimes the middle of work days as well) in addition to our extensive work obligations to deliver for the keyboard community, and i'm absolutely tired of all the criticism which contains no constructive aspect or offer to help.

as for not acting like professionals, as i point out over and over again, we do NOT do this professionally, but we are professionals with full-time jobs elsewhere and do this on a volunteer basis. we volunteer our time for the community, and we are generally happy to do it, but with the stresses we're under right now, we very much do NOT appreciate non-constructive criticism. you're free to think about it and bitch about us privately, but at least the very least, appreciate that we have enough to be upset about right now that we don't need to be angry at any of the community on top of that. thanks.

on to better things: thanks to all those who support us and/or have offered their support. we greatly appreciate it, and when this is all over i'll think of a cool and fun way to repay all of you :)

edit: look, if you want a refund, pm me and i'll make sure you get your refund. otherwise, i'm afraid you have to wait. thanks.
Last edited by mkawa on 13 Jul 2012, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

The_Beast

13 Jul 2012, 18:16

I'm pissed GH isn't up, but I'm not going to complain about it. It's out of my hands, complaining about it won't do anything to get GH up faster, if anything it will take more time since you have to reply to these people who just can't stop complaining.

BTW if you buy a Pure, from someone who drops out of the GB, with white or purple LEDs with red or brown switches and want to sell, I might take one ;)

jcrouse

13 Jul 2012, 18:23

mkawa wrote:imav has been working almost literally 24/7 to do the following: get gh back up (because no matter how much you don't think he has an obligation to do so, everyone else does), receive, itemize and bill for the race GB, and work a full-time++ job that has him traveling nearly every week.
Ya forgot about the Poker DIY Kit group buy. He does have a lot on his plate atm.

Go iMav

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Jul 2012, 18:40

juser123 wrote:You know what I don't appreciate? [...] You have no obligation to these people to get the site back up but you know who you do have an obligation to? [...]
You guys are unprofessional and there's no way of talking your way out of that after all that's happened.
mkawa wrote:[...] so a) simmer down, and b) please send me your email address. since you clearly don't want to be part of this group buy, i will have imav refund your money, i will personally take over your order so he doesn't have to deal with you, and then i will ensure that you can not participate in future group buys in which someone sacrifices their hard earned time and money so that people in the keyboard community can have access to cool stuff they wouldn't otherwise have access to. [...]
@mkawa
Please, please do not ban him from Geekhack, as otherwise he might consider staying here :?

@juser123
This has been your first and only post here. I hope it will stay just that.
I (and I think a lot of other members at desthority) do not appreciate it very much when poeple register just to gripe.

fossala
Elite +1

13 Jul 2012, 18:41

What I don't get is that why he took $10,000 worth of orders when he can't handle it.

Lanx

13 Jul 2012, 18:43

mkawa wrote:i will have imav refund your money, i will personally take over your order so he doesn't have to deal with you, and then i will ensure that you can not participate in future group buys in which someone sacrifices their hard earned time and money so that people in the keyboard community can have access to cool stuff they wouldn't otherwise have access to.
this is a pretty horrible reply, someone is asking a general "hey what's up, this what I see from my point of view" and your defacto response is to go all "our house or GTFO!!!", you're basically saying anyone with further questions are idiots and if you even dare to ask another question, f you, f your order, f anything else you want to do with GH, just f you. Please review your response, as you're basically the only person with any amount of seemingly a tinge of authority regarding GH.

Acanthophis

13 Jul 2012, 19:10

I want to mention that by f Lanx means fuck. Just for the record.

The_Beast

13 Jul 2012, 19:16

DeathAdder wrote:I want to mention that by f Lanx means fuck. Just for the record.

Acanthophis

13 Jul 2012, 19:24

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”