Geekhack updates: WE ARE BACK

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 07:52

Current status: WE ARE BACK FIND US AGAIN AT GEEKHACK.ORG

however, this has cost imav and other benefactors some very real time, money and equipment, and we're not done yet. we will be launching a number of cool novelty keys as a fundraising drive (and as a "re-birthday bash") once we relaunch to help cover these costs. i've heard something something about something clack maybe?

thanks for your patience folks. see you back on geekhack
Last edited by mkawa on 20 Jul 2012, 01:59, edited 9 times in total.

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 07:52

FAQ:

"When will GH be back?"

as above, we're back! i'm leaving the below so for historical reasons though

"Do the hackers have my password and email address?"

We now have direct evidence that the perpetrators accessed the user information database. This includes email addresses, password hashes (encrypted passwords), and so on. Short answer, assume they do; you should already be practicing safe password management. If you're not, then please start asap.

"I visited the infected front-page. Do I need to reinstall my operating system?"

If you're running a fully patched modern web browser, the answer is almost certainly not, unless you explicitly chose to execute something automatically downloaded by the infected page. There has been zero evidence that the page has carried any 0-day arbitrary code execution exploits on it, and many reasons why this is almost certainly not the case. If you are running something significantly older, in particular an iteration of IE3-6, then you've almost certainly been infected by something you thought was innocuous previous to your visit, and should wipe and install a modern OS and browser anyway.

"Guys, something bad happened in my life or on my computer or on the internet and I think it's geekhack's fault. What should I do?"

We apologize and are taking your issue very seriously. Please take this complimentary answer as consideration for your issue. Thanks for your continued patronage.

"What about the official RACE GB?"

Product has arrived at iMav's. He will bill for shipping via email and start sending out product next week at the earliest.

"What about the official DIY Poker GB?"

These items have not shipped from Vortex yet. No ETA.

"What do I do about group buy X or classifieds transaction Y"

Contact your group buy coordinator or transaction partner. This forum is a great way to do so, but I would recommend email as the most reliable method of contact.

"What can I do to help?"

The #1 thing we are looking for now is awesome artwork, design and template construction to skin our new simple machines-based forum. We could launch with a generic layout and template, but where's the fun in that? Please feel free to self-organize around this task in this forum.

GO HERE TO HELP: http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... t3099.html

"Why did you guys chose SMF as the basis for the new forum?"

copypasta from my response: 'i pulled the down the source code of every single major piece of bulletin board software and chose the one which looked the least icky by manual inspection. the other software we cross-shopped it with was xenforo, but the cost + the fact that it was closed + the fact that their major selling points are SEO and social media integration features we don't need or want ultimately turned us off to it. SMF is simple, has the most modern database abstraction and sanitization implementations, and on top of that has a very slick set of APIs for extension.'

"Why are the deskthority posters so rude to me? They're breaking all kinds of geekhack rules!"

Please keep in mind that we are guests on this forum. Again, this is deskthority, not geekhack, and we must obey all the rules that apply here, while deskthority posters are not at all bound by rules that apply on geekhack. Please behave graciously.

"What keyboard should I buy?"

All of them.

[RESERVED]

"I keep asking you about X and I'm unsatisfied with your answer!!!"

For security and other reasons, we can't disclose every detail of the current or future situation. We ask for your continued patience and cooperation. Please trust that we are doing the best we can given the resources and constraints that we have.
Last edited by mkawa on 19 Jul 2012, 04:11, edited 16 times in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 07:56

From Facebook:
Larry Herzog Jr. The entire geekhack environment and supporting hardware is in the process of being rebuilt. Security will be the top design requirement. vBulletin is out. We are going to build this bullet proof (or as close as possible). SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well.
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.

illalwaysactyoung

30 Jun 2012, 08:47

Thanks for the update; sounds like a real hassle. Are our iTrader feedback scores going to be preserved?

You should change the main page and ease some minds.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 08:55

From Facebook:
Larry Herzog Jr. That being said...it will be a week or two before we are all back up due to the significant time that is being put into this. Not a bad idea for group buy leaders to use alternative contact methods for now.
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

metafour

30 Jun 2012, 09:02

I hope your ban remains.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 09:04

From Facebook (regarding Group Buy)
Larry Herzog Jr. Yes. Received the first box today...expecting others to get held up in customs, as usual.
10 hours ago via mobile · Like
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 19:59, edited 2 times in total.

TexasFlood

30 Jun 2012, 10:02

Thanks for the update mkawa...

wupi

30 Jun 2012, 11:33

metafour wrote:I hope your ban remains.
I hope not, he writes to much crap at DT. :P

mintberryminuscrunch

30 Jun 2012, 11:35

wupi wrote:
+1
let's call it a elaborate prank, so no one loses face AND TAKE HIM BACK!!

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 13:39

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:
wupi wrote:
+1
let's call it a elaborate prank, so no one loses face AND TAKE HIM BACK!!
Just ban him here too! :twisted:

hoggy

30 Jun 2012, 13:45

Thanks for the update, mkawa.

mickd

30 Jun 2012, 13:56

Can't wait for the new geekhack to come back up! To be honest I find the layout here extremely hard to read (but maybe I'm just not used to it yet). That was also why I never really came over to deskthority =(

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 15:11

want to thank webwit again for giving us our own subforum during this trying time.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 16:23

From Facebook
Spoiler:
Edit: Subsequently unfriended but my LIKE is still there. Lol.
Last edited by ripster on 06 Jul 2012, 21:02, edited 5 times in total.

ddrhazy

30 Jun 2012, 19:48

What's happening with the KBC Talking group buy. It looks like iMav should be getting the rest of the shipments today. People still have to pay for the shipping on their keyboard right?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 20:02

I posted Facebook updates since many of you aren't on Faceback. However posting at Deskthority.net will be sporadic for me for a while. Webwit appears to have put a 1 Per Hour Posting limit on my posts.
Spoiler:
DeskthorityThrottled LOD.png
DeskthorityThrottled LOD.png (76.54 KiB) Viewed 78740 times
I can however continue to be reached at OCN periodically and...

http://www.reddit.com/keyboards
Last edited by ripster on 06 Jul 2012, 21:00, edited 8 times in total.

roguemaster8

01 Jul 2012, 01:25

Thanks for the updates Ripster.

ripster

01 Jul 2012, 03:11

No problem!

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 06:50

faq written/updated

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 07:19

unless there's a data-compatible itrader module for SMF, the old feedback system along with the old feedback is probably gone for good.

ironically, the feedback forum i tried to get rid of should be fine ಠ_ಠ

off

01 Jul 2012, 12:26

mkawa wrote:gone for good.
That would only be the case if noone were to take the time out to 'manually' copypasta the feedback right?

Zehkul

01 Jul 2012, 13:22

Site still online…

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 14:50

off wrote:
That would only be the case if noone were to take the time out to 'manually' copypasta the feedback right?
yah, or write a converter into whatever data format the new feedback system takes. so yah, i was too pessimistic before. should be possible to retain some/all of the data, but it's not high priority so it may not happen for some time

DanGWanG

01 Jul 2012, 17:53

What about member subforums? Will I get mine back? :)

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 19:31

that data's preserved (sans attachments, natch)

MagicMeatball

01 Jul 2012, 19:39

mkawa wrote:that data's preserved (sans attachments, natch)
What about our iTrader ratings?

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 20:24

mkawa wrote:
off wrote:
yah, or write a converter into whatever data format the new feedback system takes. so yah, i was too pessimistic before. should be possible to retain some/all of the data, but it's not high priority so it may not happen for some time

mkawa

01 Jul 2012, 23:42

updated with current status of official race and diy poker GBs

Zehkul

02 Jul 2012, 00:53

Wow, the site doesn’t say ROOTWORM any more! Congrats! Took you only a week.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”