About this subforum

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jun 2012, 11:04

This is a temporary subforum which can be used to discuss anything related to geekhack and geekhack issues, while it is getting rebuild. Once geekhack is running again, the topics here will probably be merged into Off-topic.

While we love to provide the poor, displaced refugees of geekhack a place to talk about geekhack related stuff, please do note that this is not geekhack, there is a different vibe to this place and many people don't care about excessive talk about other forums. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say except: try to find a balance, and try not to turn this place into a second geekhack.

EDIT: Moved all geekhack related topics in here.

EDIT June 2015: We took out the camp tents again. Anyone wants soup?

fossala
Elite +1

30 Jun 2012, 11:05

webwit wrote:This is a temporary subforum which can be used to discuss anything related to geekhack and geekhack issues, while it is getting rebuild. Once geekhack is running again, the topics here will probably be merged into Off-topic.

While we love to provide the poor, displaced refugees of geekhack a place to talk about geekhack related stuff, please do note that this is not geekhack, there is a different vibe to this place and many people don't care about excessive talk about other forums. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say except: try to find a balance, and try not to turn this place into a second geekhack.
Thanks webwit.

dirge

30 Jun 2012, 11:15

Thank you :)

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 14:43

Thanks!

This is quite brilliant actually!

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 15:13

yes, absolutely, thanks much webwit. we'll try to get out of your way and back onto geekhack as soon as we can.

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 15:48

refoogeek2.jpg
refoogeek2.jpg (148.9 KiB) Viewed 91506 times

mkawa

30 Jun 2012, 15:50

lovin' it!

terrpn

30 Jun 2012, 17:31

Yup..........displaced refugee.

Thanks for helping us poor folks that have no place to go

litster

30 Jun 2012, 17:49

Great gesture, webwit!

Ragnorock

30 Jun 2012, 19:20

Even though I've been a member previous to this, you have my utmost gratitude in providing aid for another forum. It just goes to show how cool the keyboard community really is. DT Rocks!

Charlie_Brown_MX

30 Jun 2012, 19:31

“Thanks for helping us poor folks that have no place to go[.]”
“[Y]ou have my utmost gratitude in providing aid for another forum.”

I’d hate to see what Geekhackers were like if they actually had to face a real catastrophe, rather than just lossless of access to a webforum.

Ragnorock

30 Jun 2012, 20:07

Is that sarcasm? Honestly I'm just being gracious because last I checked, it isn't often another forum will so kindly open up its doors to a neighboring community, regardless of the issue. My life has been going on just fine, I've spent the last week working on restoring a 79 Austin Mini and mulling over whether to buy/revitalize/sell a 540 I've got a good deal on. I also opened up the pool at my girlfriend's house and played my fair share of D3 and SC2. Summer break ftw!

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 20:25

R.I.P. Rodney... Can't We Get Along? For the Older People. And The Kids...

off

30 Jun 2012, 23:09

koralatov wrote:“Thanks for helping us poor folks that have no place to go[.]”
“[Y]ou have my utmost gratitude in providing aid for another forum.”
I’d hate to see what Geekhackers were like if they actually had to face a real catastrophe, rather than just loss of access to a webforum.
I'd say that the second line quoted is adamant to ensuring the good will of people survives digitalisation. :)
I'd love to see them treated nicely if such were to ever happen upon them; provided they show this same gracious spirit, they deserve it.

hazeluff

01 Jul 2012, 01:52

Cheers,

Glad you guys are taking us for the while. Also, thanks for keeping Ripster.

ripster

01 Jul 2012, 04:24

Woof!

TexasFlood

01 Jul 2012, 04:26

Who let the Ripster out?...

7bit

01 Jul 2012, 09:52

hazeluff wrote:Cheers,

Once GeekHack is up again it will need content, so it is better you take him back!

mintberryminuscrunch

01 Jul 2012, 10:19

7bit wrote:

Once GeekHack is up again it will need content, so it is better you take him back!
But they need "content" :lol: :roll:

dirge

01 Jul 2012, 10:40

7bit wrote:

Yeah give the lad a break, he's been banned for a while, so just let him back in. New site clean slate.

Soarer

01 Jul 2012, 11:52

dirge wrote:
7bit wrote:

Yeah give the lad a break, he's been banned for a while, so just let him back in. New site clean slate.
But why? He's doing a fine job providing DT with content.
ripsterDTposts.png
ripsterDTposts.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 91180 times

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2012, 12:44

I put a post flood limit on ripster (currently set to 1 post/hour) after a large flood of his posts was taking over all topics the past few days, 9 out of 10 noise, and warnings were ignored. You can say everything you want here and there are almost no rules. You can also post a lot if you have good stuff to say as well. Then it saddens me to see folks like glossywhite in the past and ripster now who abuse such liberty by spamming us all to hell. I don't understand ripster. He doesn't -really- want to be part of this community (he will always be a geekhacker), he doesn't contribute much and keeps complaining about mediawiki and phpbb, and after the geekhack fallout, repeatedly stated he doesn't trust forums any longer, and acts like deskthority has done something to him, in advance. This all begs the question to ripster: If you don't like us, WHY ARE YOU HERE?
Ripster number of posts/day
Ripster number of posts/day
chart.png (11.31 KiB) Viewed 91166 times

7bit

01 Jul 2012, 12:52

He posts here because he does not like us.

What about some random deletion of Ripster posts. 9 out of 10 posts get deleted right after being posted. Nobody would miss anything.

Soarer

01 Jul 2012, 12:53

Thank-you. Too many follow his lead and it reflects badly on GHers in general. (In many cases unfairly).

Charlie_Brown_MX

01 Jul 2012, 13:11

7bit wrote:What about some random deletion of Ripster posts. 9 out of 10 posts get deleted right after being posted. Nobody would miss anything.
The problem being the amount of human time required to cut out the noise without also cutting out the signal. He does occasionally post some good stuff, and a script that rejects 90% of his posts randomly would cull 90% of the good stuff as well as 90% of the crap. To do it in an effective way, someone would have to review each post and decide whether it warranted deletion or not, and that would be both time-consuming and boring.

captain

01 Jul 2012, 13:26

I understand the ripster paradigm. We all came here because of an interest in better quality typing, but after a few months of study, we pretty much know it all, and there isn't much to say, but we long for a sense of community, and so the "noise" increases. I have occasionally pointed out that what GH's "moderators" ought to be doing is just moving off-topic "noise" into the off-topic subforum, and be done with it. Much like this little haven for GH refugees. If that isn't the solution, then I don't know what is. But I am also tiring of the noise, and was over here before the GH fiasco--hell, I tempbanned myself just before ripster got permabanned. lol. :-P

There is still more to learn about keyboards, and I think there is room for comaraderie in the noisy subfora. We all just need to understand the rules and follow them. This isn't NAM, man! There are RULES! (A newfound love for Dudeism is just one great thing I got from the noise! ;-)

7bit

01 Jul 2012, 13:27

I suggested to delete 90% of Ripster posts automatically. Nobody will ever notice and nobody needs to do anything.
:-)

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2012, 13:43

This is not about rules or noise or moderation, but deliberate excess in order to provoke.

Daemon Raccoon

01 Jul 2012, 19:43

I noticed that the subforum's icon has a person on it with red hair...

(Geekhack users are red-headed step-children here?)

ripster

01 Jul 2012, 19:46

And RedHeaded Dawgs too!

Arf! Wag, wag.
1 Hour Delay.PNG
1 Hour Delay.PNG (35.62 KiB) Viewed 91076 times
I'd say more but I smell a trap in the Geekhacker refugee camp.
Last edited by ripster on 01 Jul 2012, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”