let's give geekhack a new look!!!!11111

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 01:25

DanGWanG wrote:Minus the glasses, and you found me!
Damn, I KNEW 99.9% of Geekhack had gone Asian!

Anyhoo this one that iMav was trying looked good.
Image

tr4656

06 Jul 2012, 06:53

I'm a freelance web dev so I could certainly help with the HTML/CSS portion of the geekhack theme.

User avatar
off

06 Jul 2012, 11:36

486 wrote:
off wrote:
486 wrote: I find that white is better for forums because logically if the forum is black it is hard to read at night
*bites* Actually, logically, seeing how night is pretty much black, a white background is quite jarring, while a black background fades into the surroundings, allowing the white text to be the focal point, instead of the white background. :P
our eyes adjust to the surroundings so at night time when it is dark and when white text comes up on a page it is very hard to focus on that because there is little light coming from whatever is on the page in white (text). This is not the case for white backgrounds because the page is light and the light from the screen actually allows the black text to be absorbed rather than reflected. white.png
I see your point, the black text seems smaller and more defined than the white text, even now during daytime.
But, (and I'm not googling for research, however I have come across multiple) I do feel that at night it's easier/more comfortable on the eyes to read geekhack's old theme than deskthority's current; ignoring the contents ofcourse.
And what is at play as well, is the thing that a monitor is a lightbox; and staring directly at a lightsource is never quite pleasant, so the lesser the better (quantity and surface), in my experience at least.

User avatar
sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

06 Jul 2012, 12:02

Use f.lux! Or proper backlighting at night.

emptythecache

06 Jul 2012, 12:03

yes, everyone should be using f.lux.

User avatar
off

06 Jul 2012, 12:06

I loved the idea behind f.lux, but disliked the implementation (when I tried it for a week or so quite a while ago)... perhaps that's just my pc being shoddy, but the 'steps' I could visibly see it take to adjust really annoyed me; plus the recouloring that doesn't mesh with 'how it should look like'.
And I do have some lights on at night, but part of the reason I like nights is because they are darker!

tr4656

06 Jul 2012, 19:54

off wrote:I loved the idea behind f.lux, but disliked the implementation (when I tried it for a week or so quite a while ago)... perhaps that's just my pc being shoddy, but the 'steps' I could visibly see it take to adjust really annoyed me; plus the recouloring that doesn't mesh with 'how it should look like'.
And I do have some lights on at night, but part of the reason I like nights is because they are darker!
You can adjust the settings to change how it looks you know.

User avatar
domoaligato

06 Jul 2012, 20:18

tsangan wrote:Geekhack will forever be orange/grey/black to me
+1

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 20:28

+2

User avatar
microsoft windows

06 Jul 2012, 21:49

They should make a new theme based on Hotdog Stand from Windows 3.1. That was always my favorite theme.

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 21:52

-1

When bored I google "Geekhack.org" and hit the IMAGES tab.

You can see how that Orange/Black POPS!
Spoiler:
Image
Last edited by ripster on 06 Jul 2012, 21:58, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
didja

06 Jul 2012, 21:53

microsoft windows wrote:They should make a new theme based on Hotdog Stand from Windows 3.1. That was always my favorite theme.
You could use this with it

Image

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 22:03

DanGWanG wrote:I don't report to anyone! ...but I'll help just this once :)
Dude, just hire a homeless guy to pee in the cup.

User avatar
off

06 Jul 2012, 22:19

tr4656 wrote:
off wrote:I loved the idea behind f.lux, but disliked the implementation (when I tried it for a week or so quite a while ago)... perhaps that's just my pc being shoddy, but the 'steps' I could visibly see it take to adjust really annoyed me; plus the recouloring that doesn't mesh with 'how it should look like'.
And I do have some lights on at night, but part of the reason I like nights is because they are darker!
You can adjust the settings to change how it looks you know.
Yes, I know.
f.lux is not designed for use during advanced color work
"This changes too fast, it always shocks me."
The f.lux transition can be CPU intensive, so f.lux tries to be polite about it. To make it slow, you can use the special 1-hour slow transition option under settings instead.
both from here.
I haven't checked, but either that 1 hour slow transition is new, or it still didn't meet my expectations.
I have used the app for about a week, probably more, so naturally I have checked out all it's options before saying something like 'good idea, but this implementation is not for me'.
Might be worth repeating that the entire idea behind the app is to make it look different. :roll:

User avatar
DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 22:28

I think part of the responsibility of this role is taking (a) shit and giving (a) shit. Whatever that means, I'm sure it'll be apparent in the next week. Right now I'm just chillin' waiting for some design work to come in before we discuss any further :)

User avatar
off

06 Jul 2012, 22:48

take it! Image

User avatar
DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 22:55

Yeah, that's the stuff.

The_Beast

06 Jul 2012, 23:27

Any ETA on GH being back online?


I couldn't care less how it looks, I just want it back

User avatar
DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 23:36

I'm on the same boat. All I know is what everyone else knows, not a day before tomorrow :)

User avatar
jdcarpe

07 Jul 2012, 05:26

This is the new look Geekhack needs:
newlook.png
newlook.png (146.12 KiB) Viewed 1207 times

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 05:40

Nah.

THIS is the look GH needs!

Retro Hipster Ripster!
Image
Spoiler:
Image

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 05:59

The_Beast wrote:Any ETA on GH being back online?


I couldn't care less how it looks, I just want it back

Mkawa update here:
http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p61141

He should give his employees that report to him like DanGWanG more info!

User avatar
DanGWanG

07 Jul 2012, 06:09

I report to no one!

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 06:11

QUIET drone! You are now a productive worker of the PEOPLE! Mkawa and iMav have spoken.
dangwang is now in charge of this effort. he will be reporting to me, but i have too many things going on right now, so delegation yay!
Your marching music is HERE Comrade:
http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... t3114.html

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 15:04

hah. at least shoot me a pm to let me know what's going on

it's not a TPS report, anyway.

The_Beast

08 Jul 2012, 02:50

Can we get the FS/GB section up first?


Hate to say it but it's the main reason most people visit GH

ripster

08 Jul 2012, 02:58

Good idea. Could run that off a Pentium PC probably.

User avatar
gigibecali

11 Jul 2012, 23:09

black-gray-orange.
I love GH. I love arstechnica mobile, dark.
Professional (well...); easy on the eyes; night joy, etc etc.

voxleo

14 Jul 2012, 01:17

i am really fond of the black/orange gh- makes me feel at home and its unlike all the others i visit. and the light on dark is easier on my eyes for some reason.

User avatar
aggiejy

14 Jul 2012, 07:14

Don't know where you guys are at on this, but I just remembered that I did a few quick comps way back for iMav. They're rough, but overall feel I still like.

I'm not interested in slicing it or making a theme for it, but if someone wants to, feel free.
Attachments
Green
Green
aggiejy_green.png (477.08 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Red
Red
aggiejy_red.png (449.23 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Blue
Blue
aggiejy_blue.png (414.74 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Orange
Orange
aggiejy_orange.png (352.66 KiB) Viewed 971 times

Post Reply

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”