dark.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
Wait. Wrong topic.

(sorry, just joking ;) )

mykb77

04 Jul 2012, 01:48

captain wrote:Black/Orange
'nuff said.
+1

What about skinny people with spare tires? Picture a worm with a wrinkle...

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 01:51

webwit wrote:
mkawa wrote:let's get some mockups going people
dark.jpg
Wait. Wrong topic.

(sorry, just joking ;) )
lol

FATS ONLY

keebler

04 Jul 2012, 02:19

How about a subforum for Micro-robotics? I, and a few others, do quite a bit of hacking, with MCU's, custom soldering fabrications, automated controls and so on...

I can offer up DIY's for surface mount soldering using oven, hot air guns, hot plates, or a plain old radioshack 25W POS.

A hosted area for said hacks/projects as well. For instance, I'm working on a simulator rig for Mechwarrior Online, I've got an ipad controlled HVAC Automobile system, and other misc projects. I'm sure, given the community, there are plenty of other people like me. It could be a bit like hackaday, but with more emphasis on community input hacks....

If anyone is familiar with the Fat Man and Circuit Girl show/site/IRC channel, we had a pretty awesome community. #fmcg on freenode.net ...

Anyway, the pain meds are killing my train of thought... stupid surgery... I'll be back when I can speak more eloquently.

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 02:48

mechatronics experts and newbie enthusiasts are way more than welcome at the new gh. i think we'll be rolling all these projects into a single forum though, so as not to split things up. building a complex micro-robot isn't that different from building a very complex keyboard. you have power requirements (ok, no motors), micro platforms to program, etc.

didja

04 Jul 2012, 05:14

If you can't make the background white, please keep the option for users to change it like the old forum had.

thegunner100

04 Jul 2012, 06:14

Ripster has only become this way because of the way that he was treated by imav and the mods, not to mention his content being stolen/denied.

MagicMeatball

04 Jul 2012, 06:17

thegunner100 wrote:Ripster has only become this way because of the way that he was treated by imav and the mods, not to mention his content being stolen/denied.
Ripster has a groupie.

ripster

04 Jul 2012, 06:20

Tall Poppie Syndrome.

Comes with being Number One in any field.

Anyway it's not like I'm talking behind anyone's back. IMav is a longtime Deskthority.net member and welcomed this new forum.

Just not it's Wiki.

iMav wrote:
sixty wrote:Two possible scenarios:

a) geekhack blocks all outside embedding of images
b) imav already blocked this site specifically (i doubt it) 8-)
Nope. We don't do either at GH. :)

BTW, nice site. It is good to see sites like this sprouting up. The main reason geekhack exists today is because I could find no such english-speaking site to participate in. The more sites like this, the better...it legitimizes the demand for quality input devices and, hopefully, will drive additional supply in the future!!
Two MediaWikis is stupid iMav.

Combine them and bury the hatchet with Webwit.

metafour wrote:Dunning-Kruger
If or more on that phenomenon I suggest,
http://youarenotsosmart.com/
thegunner100 wrote:
MagicMeatball wrote:
thegunner100 wrote:Ripster has only become this way because of the way that he was treated by imav and the mods, not to mention his content being stolen/denied.
Ripster has a groupie.
I can assure you that i'm not the only one.
Don't feed the trolls.
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 06:30, edited 3 times in total.

metafour

04 Jul 2012, 06:24

Dunning-Kruger

MagicMeatball

04 Jul 2012, 06:28

metafour wrote:Dunning-Kruger
Perfect explanation.

thegunner100

04 Jul 2012, 06:28

MagicMeatball wrote:
Ripster has a groupie.
I can assure you that i'm not the only one, and im proud of it too!
Last edited by thegunner100 on 04 Jul 2012, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeatball

04 Jul 2012, 06:30

thegunner100 wrote:
MagicMeatball wrote:
Ripster has a groupie.
I can assure you that i'm not the only one.
I think metafour has explained his behavior perfectly. No further explanation is necessary.

MagicMeatball

04 Jul 2012, 06:34

ripster wrote:Don't feed the trolls.
Quoted for irony.

ripster

04 Jul 2012, 08:24

Edited my spoiler pic in the earlier post.

Boy you people have NO sense of humor about what happens when you click http://www.geekhack.org.

Good luck with the new design.

Try this font and lighten up!

http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Lato

Grumpy wizards make toxic brew for the evil Queen and Jack!

hashbaz

04 Jul 2012, 09:50

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 10:13

the cherry replica font is a good font to represent the new us ;)

Kellybear

04 Jul 2012, 11:36

My friend helped me draft up a simple color scheme based on the theme used by deskthority. I like the black/orange of geekhack but always thought that the orange was a bit overwhelming. Batcat is not included, I just thought it was cute since it's black/orange too lol.

off

04 Jul 2012, 12:31

Whatever you do, somehow, someway, restore all the actual post#'s and urls to exactly the same they were... else the slight bit of organization GH had (through bookmarks) is lost forever, and we'll be left hitting up google every single time; and seeing how the best stuff had no wiki nor thread, but was just single posts, that'd be deadly.

please?

thegunner100

04 Jul 2012, 17:03

Spoiler:
Kellybear wrote:My friend helped me draft up a simple color scheme based on the theme used by deskthority. I like the black/orange of geekhack but always thought that the orange was a bit overwhelming. Batcat is not included, I just thought it was cute since it's black/orange too lol.

Can i keep the batcat?

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 17:17

Kellybear wrote:My friend helped me draft up a simple color scheme based on the theme used by deskthority. I like the black/orange of geekhack but always thought that the orange was a bit overwhelming. Batcat is not included, I just thought it was cute since it's black/orange too lol.

this is interesting, but it seems a bit flat and dark to me. i was actually thinking we could satisfy the light background people and dark background people at the same time by splitting the middle (ie, base color is middle gray) and having a good amount of contrast (highlights are dark and light). do you think you could play around with a colors a bit to move more in that direction?

thegunner100

04 Jul 2012, 17:19

Or just allow us to choose between different themes :P

noobandroid

04 Jul 2012, 17:27

thegunner100 wrote:Or just allow us to choose between different themes :P
like how the last GH site had the choices

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jul 2012, 17:28

Discuss new gh theme and features at deskthority, ask for ideas and inspiration, and what people come up with are mediawiki, photo thumbnails to the right, and a patched deskthority theme. Lame, lame, lame. :twisted: The funny thing is that, among the reasons we picked those, was not to be like geekhack and have our own identity. Geekhack too, should have its own identity. The collective mind of geekhack should be able to come up with something better. I wouldn't mind if they copied that theme and patched it, but it would be embarrassing for gh.

oneproduct

04 Jul 2012, 17:32

Dark backgrounds are much easier on the eyes than bright ones. It's one of the reasons that terminals are great.

harrison

04 Jul 2012, 17:40

off wrote:
mkawa wrote:we do it from scratch, because it's fun, and we're proud of it.
qft!

Would have to add that I haven't seen any pc cases built on there (which is one of those other big diy-communities)...
that will change... i've got a work-in-progress that just needs to be documented.

harrison

04 Jul 2012, 17:47

mkawa wrote:

this is interesting, but it seems a bit flat and dark to me. i was actually thinking we could satisfy the light background people and dark background people at the same time by splitting the middle (ie, base color is middle gray) and having a good amount of contrast (highlights are dark and light). do you think you could play around with a colors a bit to move more in that direction?
any decent theme can be easily re-colored for light/dark, or from orange to red, etc. it's the crappy themes that are tough to recolor. This really shouldn't be much of an issue, but I think trying to create one theme to satisfy both the light/dark would be a mistake. I'd suggest finding 2 or 3 options out there that you like, and having someone capable hash together something with a light/dark version. I, however, am not that person. I've done a little SMF theme work, but it took about 10x as long as I expected it too because I just don't have the time to sink into it.

harrison

04 Jul 2012, 17:56

for what it's worth, the two themes I was re-hashing were the following:
darkTed R

and blackTed 2

both of these could easily accommodate the style requirements or recoloring.

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 18:01

webwit wrote:Discuss new gh theme and features at deskthority, ask for ideas and inspiration, and what people come up with are mediawiki, photo thumbnails to the right, and a patched deskthority theme. Lame, lame, lame. :twisted: The funny thing is that, among the reasons we picked those, was not to be like geekhack and have our own identity. Geekhack too, should have its own identity. The collective mind of geekhack should be able to come up with something better. I wouldn't mind if they copied that theme and patched it, but it would be embarrassing for gh.
you may be happy to know that we've decided to go with wikkawiki then ;)

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 18:03

harrison wrote:for what it's worth, the two themes I was re-hashing were the following:
darkTed R

and blackTed 2

both of these could easily accommodate the style requirements or recoloring.
i like how prominent the news and announcements bar is in this one, but i'm not sure i like how much space is dedicated to the info panel.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”