GH1391401 wrote:
hashbaz wrote:Image
do you care if anyone uses this?
Define uses this.
'borrow' :P

05 Jul 2012, 08:50

cool photo 486!!!
Thank you kind sir!
I just used my hi-res scanner and various keyboard keycaps. I find that white is better for forums because logically if the forum is black it is hard to read at night even if the text is high contrast like flouro-yellow (i find it to be jarring). White has the highest visiblity in most situation and black text for contrast. Anything light (e.g. light blue, white, light green), i'll vote for. That's not to say I don't like orange and black. I found that quite readable.

off

05 Jul 2012, 10:47

486 wrote: I find that white is better for forums because logically if the forum is black it is hard to read at night
*bites* Actually, logically, seeing how night is pretty much black, a white background is quite jarring, while a black background fades into the surroundings, allowing the white text to be the focal point, instead of the white background. :P

net2522

05 Jul 2012, 11:15

Anyway to get feature similar to Spy in vbulletin?

Charlie_Brown_MX

05 Jul 2012, 11:23

kalrykh wrote:Koralatov, using terminals since 2011...I think you missed the last 40 years where it was predominantly white or green text on a black background.
You’re right. I’ve shamed myself by not using a terminal for 12 years longer than I’ve been alive. Of course, it’s not possible that the reason green|amber|white-on-black was used is because of technical limitations at the time, or choices made to save on costs. Just because something was done in the past doesn’t mean it was done because it was the One True Way — often it’s because it was the least-crappy way at that time.

But what would I know? I’ve only been “using terminals since 2011”. (How long have you been peering through my bedroom window?)
webwit wrote:^ Turns up monitor's brightness and contrast so it causes eye strain. Complains about eye strain. :twisted:

Strangely never this discussion at facebook, google, reddit, cnn, bbc, etc.
Evidently the designers of these and many other sites have never thought to consult our resident UI\UX geniuses here. Shame on them for this oversight.

kaen

05 Jul 2012, 11:33

sweet banner

Glissant

05 Jul 2012, 11:37

That is beautiful, hashbaz. But I am wondering, what would we do if we use a lighter color scheme this time? What colors would look good, and still maintain the geekhack feel?

hashbaz

05 Jul 2012, 11:48

Glissant wrote:
That is beautiful, hashbaz. But I am wondering, what would we do if we use a lighter color scheme this time? What colors would look good, and still maintain the geekhack feel?
Thanks! I think keeping the dark keys on a light theme would't be terrible. Or go orange on darkish grey instead of back.

baldgye

05 Jul 2012, 13:07

hashbaz wrote:
Glissant wrote:
Thanks! I think keeping the dark keys on a light theme would't be terrible. Or go orange on darkish grey instead of back.
yeah I prefer dark keys on a lighter coloured forum, becasue they stand out more, and at the end of the day you want the forum and site name to be visable and clear

emptythecache

05 Jul 2012, 14:07

side note: when we have the cherry font available, we should get that DS set made. Maybe with black on orange modifiers.

hashbaz

05 Jul 2012, 18:33

emptythecache wrote:side note: when we have the cherry font available, we should get that DS set made. Maybe with black on orange modifiers.
I dig it. The geekhack set. :D

hashbaz

05 Jul 2012, 19:10

edit: wrong thread!

mkawa

05 Jul 2012, 21:06

dangwang is now in charge of this effort. he will be reporting to me, but i have too many things going on right now, so delegation yay!

DanGWanG

05 Jul 2012, 21:30

I don't report to anyone! ...but I'll help just this once :)

I'll be creating a new thread dedicated to the assistance of designing a new UI for GH. I'll be collecting information from this thread, and creating a new one that has a bit more structure. We'll be defining what's needed, our expectations and who's in charge of doing what.

For now, the new thread won't be created until this weekend so I have something to show instead of theorizing what things are going to look and feel like. For now, my understanding is that our primary designer will be MagicMeatball with some support for graphics and css from hashbaz and skryll.

Anyone else willing to help with this initiative, please send me a PM or post in this thread (for now). We all want GH back up and running, so any support you can show will exponentially speed up the progress.

I miss GH and my subforum, so let's get this moving.

mkawa

05 Jul 2012, 22:36

thanks dudes!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

05 Jul 2012, 23:43

I can help with graphics and CSS as well.

DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 00:07

sth wrote:I can help with graphics and CSS as well.
Great sth! I'll be in touch with you in the next few days.

BTW, I miss your Fresh Prince avatar...

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

06 Jul 2012, 00:08

Yeah, me too. Deskthority doesn't like the wigglin pics.

06 Jul 2012, 00:10

off wrote:
486 wrote: I find that white is better for forums because logically if the forum is black it is hard to read at night
*bites* Actually, logically, seeing how night is pretty much black, a white background is quite jarring, while a black background fades into the surroundings, allowing the white text to be the focal point, instead of the white background. :P
our eyes adjust to the surroundings so at night time when it is dark and when white text comes up on a page it is very hard to focus on that because there is little light coming from whatever is on the page in white (text). This is not the case for white backgrounds because the page is light and the light from the screen actually allows the black text to be absorbed rather than reflected.
white.png

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2012, 00:15

DanGWanG wrote:
sth wrote:I can help with graphics and CSS as well.
Great sth! I'll be in touch with you in the next few days.

BTW, I miss your Fresh Prince avatar...
Should I be worried?

Geekhack design team.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

06 Jul 2012, 00:19

Hows this? Also fuck white people with dreads, especially white stoners with dreads.

Cognitive dissonance...

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 00:21

I got this!

And THIS is Xsphat! I am NOT kidding!

Dang, it's NICE having a Forum SEARCH function that WORKS!

MagicMeatball

06 Jul 2012, 00:29

ripster wrote:
And THIS is Xsphat! I am NOT kidding!
Aaaand when he turned around....

Holy shit... HE'S ADAM DURITZ from the Counting Crows!!!

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Jul 2012, 00:37

I wonder how much time that Adam pussy guy spends before a mirror each day trimming that face hair. You can't have a neatly trimmed beard like that with trimmed eyebrows and then pretend to have hair like you just don't care and be a white Rastafarian. You have to be ceremonially killed. For humanity, and sanity.

DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 00:47

webwit wrote:Should I be worried?
Why would you be worried? This is design for GH! Not DT :mrgreen:

Now if someone could find me a pic of an Asian Rastafarian...

MagicMeatball

06 Jul 2012, 00:54

DanGWanG wrote:
Now if someone could find me a pic of an Asian Rastafarian...

DanGWanG

06 Jul 2012, 00:56

Minus the glasses, and you found me!

GH1391401

06 Jul 2012, 00:59

hashbaz wrote:Define uses this.
In our designs. I already gave up though, I'm a coder not a designer. I want something clean and something that does not follow the overdone forum standard layouts we've become accustomed to with VB/etc.

hashbaz

06 Jul 2012, 01:17

GH1391401 wrote:In our designs. I already gave up though, I'm a coder not a designer. I want something clean and something that does not follow the overdone forum standard layouts we've become accustomed to with VB/etc.
Ah, well then yeah of course. People using it in their mock-ups and designs was the idea of posting it. :)

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”