let's give geekhack a new look!!!!11111

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 09:30

OR: designers, start your photoshop!

folks,

i've been playing around with SMF and it's pretty slick. we'd like some new art for the site, a new color theme, and a rough idea of the what the new visual layout might look like. if you can contribute HTML/CSS that implements some of this, that would be great too.

here's a tutorial on creating SMF themes: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=233.0

imav has already said that we shouldn't feel tied to the black and orange color scheme from before, so even if you can only throw a color suggestion into the pot, that's a start!

if you want, think of as a novelty key, but on the website you spend most of your time at! ;)
Last edited by mkawa on 03 Jul 2012, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

DanGWanG

03 Jul 2012, 09:32

Green, white and black.

Or

Red, white and black!!

MagicMeatball

03 Jul 2012, 09:53

Is Geekhack keeping the same name?

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 10:22

yes. the plan is to keep the name, and the theme should reflect this.

however, we would like to recognize that our userbase is no longer just a community of input device enthusiasts but that we are more generally a crowd of geeks that appreciate subtlety to the extent that we're willing to sit down and design and make our own stuff, no matter how subtle the difference between mass-produced products and ours may be (a programmable keyboard? who would want that? ;). our core competency will continue to be keyboards, but we will focus on facilitating the design and production of cool, geeky stuff in general, even if that stuff has more to do with photography, audio, or any other geeky pursuits.

hence, the theme should emphasize the "geek" as much or even more than the hack. a geekhacker is not just a hack (ie, writer or typist), but a hacker. we make stuff: keyboards, keys, fonts, adapters for long-dead serial protocols ;), bags, cases, cool geeky stuff; we do it from scratch, because it's fun, and we're proud of it.

off

03 Jul 2012, 10:44

mkawa wrote:we do it from scratch, because it's fun, and we're proud of it.
qft!

Would have to add that I haven't seen any pc cases built on there (which is one of those other big diy-communities)...

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:10

start making some and we'll add a subforum for it ;)

NEBUCHADNEZZAR

03 Jul 2012, 17:12

Log my vote for geekhack classic.

emptythecache

03 Jul 2012, 17:48

color theme needs moar blue. i like blue and off white, with lime/chartreuse accents.

question: is SMF such that we could add an arbitrary number of theme options? so we don't really have to "pick a winner?"

tsangan

03 Jul 2012, 17:54

Geekhack will forever be orange/grey/black to me

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:56

yes, you can load a set of templates into SMF, but i let's start with getting a single canonical theme built, then we can look at variants

dirge

03 Jul 2012, 17:57

I do think the biggest fuck you, you can give to them is building it the same.

MagicMeatball

03 Jul 2012, 17:57

Can you take a screenshot of the base layout?

thegunner100

03 Jul 2012, 17:59

tsangan wrote:Geekhack will forever be orange/grey/black to me
^this, but maybe with the addition of the photos/videos thing on the front page like DT has

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 18:07

MagicMeatball wrote:Can you take a screenshot of the base layout?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (96.08 KiB) Viewed 84206 times

hashbaz

03 Jul 2012, 18:46

thegunner100 wrote:
tsangan wrote:Geekhack will forever be orange/grey/black to me
^this, but maybe with the addition of the photos/videos thing on the front page like DT has
Agree. I really like that about DT. Also, spoiler tags plz!

DanGWanG

03 Jul 2012, 18:47

THIS BOARD IS ONLY FOR FAT PEOPLE.

NEBUCHADNEZZAR

03 Jul 2012, 18:50

Well then in that case I should be leaving. . .

Aw hell who am I kidding, i'll be back in 2 minutes with a bag of doritos.

dirge

03 Jul 2012, 18:52

Dan, I was a skinny pot head, until I learned about the magical powers of single malt.

20 years later and I'm a massive ''awesome' drunk!

(*awesome in relation to situation, amount of alcohol or other substance)

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 20:24

skinny people will be allowed in the final forum release. BETA ACCESS IS FOR FATTIES ONLY ;)

DanGWanG

03 Jul 2012, 21:01

Maybe it would help to put some structure in place as to who can help with what (no only in relation to design). You have a couple threads asking for help, might be nice to just put everything into one collaborative effort.

Then you can break down what still needs to be done, what's missing, etc. I wouldn't treat it like a group buy though, limit options and don't let people vote. Just pick what looks awesome, and then be awesome. Project manage that shit!

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 21:39

i'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, although i'm sure it's perfectly intelligible; unfortunately i have like 1000 things going on right now so i'm a bit scattered. do you think you can take the lead in creating a couple threads and organizing people dan? _that_ is definitely one thing we need quite a bit of right now :)

GH1391401

03 Jul 2012, 23:31

I wrote in the other thread about having a mobile friendly theme, is this something we're looking to do as well?

edit: I am willing to contribute, and already have a running version of the forum on my local machine and have been poking around to figure out how things work. Can you provide parameters around what youre looking for? Total theme? just color scheme ideas? Does this web app have any extensions or plugins? any info on default config so we know what features will be rendered to the page? Can we change the default template, etc.

Also, and this only comes from me not investigating myself, what is the rationale behind this php based web forum vs others?
Last edited by GH1391401 on 03 Jul 2012, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

captain

03 Jul 2012, 23:45

Black/Orange
'nuff said.

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 23:49

I like the new look!
Spoiler:
Last edited by ripster on 04 Jul 2012, 08:08, edited 2 times in total.

captain

03 Jul 2012, 23:53

How do I get into the geekhack-dev site? geekhack.org returns an invalid DNS

Kellybear

04 Jul 2012, 00:00

DanGWanG wrote:Green, white and black.

Or

Red, white and black!!
I like these colors ._.

hashbaz

04 Jul 2012, 00:03

Orange has to feature prominently. Sorry, it's tradition.

jdcarpe

04 Jul 2012, 01:21

I just reminded myself not to click the spoiler button on any posts by ripster. Man, that guy used to be tolerable, but now has become just another annoying troll. If I ever get like that, you all have permission to permaban ME!

MagicMeatball

04 Jul 2012, 01:24

jdcarpe wrote:I just reminded myself not to click the spoiler button on any posts by ripster. Man, that guy used to be tolerable, but now has become just another annoying troll. If I ever get like that, you all have permission to permaban ME!
It would be impossible for anyone to attain the level of doucheness that Ripster has ascended to.

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 01:29

let's get some mockups going people

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”