Geekhate

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 15:40

I only got it because it was a Ripster Word Of The Day.

harrison

05 Jul 2012, 15:41

in my experience dealing with forum clashes like this in the past, there's usually two issues going on, and they're absolutely going on now and here: entitlement and elitism. many of the GH users feel entitled to a home. the DT crowed has always come off with an elitist attitude (not that there's anything wrong with that). just my perspective.

those two attitudes create a very oil/vinegar environment.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 15:44

It is a SHORT term issue anyway.

Mkawa said July 7th GH will be back up.

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p57037

Then the bulldozers come in to clean out the Refugee Camp.

I vote we Green Card Visa any PhD's. On Second thought given the PhD's I know maybe not....

dirge

05 Jul 2012, 15:57

Don't see entitlement and elitism myself. Webwit put together a temp area so people could stay in touch while the other site is down.

But rather than taking a little time to climatise and fit into the surroundings and the people, it's been a case of geekhack with a different URL.

Most won't get the reference, but a bit like Brits abroad! Expect the natives to adjust to you rather than the other way around.

But I for one welcome our geekhack overlords, and can help round up others.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 16:03

Well, I really don't understand a GH marketplace that rolls back every couple of weeks.

Geekhack is the Walmart of Keyboard Forums.

And as my momma sez, be careful what you wish for. Bringing the server back up is taking longer than I expected. I mean who gives a fuck about the banner colors?
Last edited by ripster on 05 Jul 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

jakobcreutzfeldt

05 Jul 2012, 16:05

Seems I picked a strange time to start getting interested in keyboards...

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 16:06

Not really. Mechanicals are quite Mainstream these days. It was the early people that started GH that were strange.
Last edited by ripster on 05 Jul 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

harrison

05 Jul 2012, 16:06

dirge wrote:Don't see entitlement and elitism myself. Webwit put together a temp area so people could stay in touch while the other site is down.

But rather than taking a little time to climatise and fit into the surroundings and the people, it's been a case of geekhack with a different URL.

Most won't get the reference, but a bit like Brits abroad! Expect the natives to adjust to you rather than the other way around.

But I for one welcome our geekhack overlords, and can help round up others.
like american tourists? :lol: they want wherever they are to be as comfortable and as accommodating of their mannerisms, even when not at home. that's part of entitlement... but absolutely you're right.

i agree with you though... webwit/DT has been very generous to allocate an area of this forum to handle traffic that facilitates the geekhack community.

jakobcreutzfeldt

05 Jul 2012, 16:08

ripster wrote:Not really. Mechanicals are quite Mainstream these days. It was the early people that started GH that were strange.

I just meant community dynamics-wise.
Without a doubt, the modern explosion in mechanical keyboard popularity facilitated my awareness of them.

dsjbirch

05 Jul 2012, 16:10

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:Seems I picked a strange time to start getting interested in keyboards...
Don't worry. I got interested in keyboards not that long ago. All I heard about was ripster banned, banned, permabanned. He steals the show unless you add him to your foe list. Then he steals the show by proxy. lol. It's a little like a soap, but less adverts. Don't watch soaps. They'll rot your mind.

Peter

05 Jul 2012, 16:48

harrison wrote: those two attitudes create a very oil/vinegar environment.
oil and vinegar are a great mix, you just need some good veggies to pour it over !!

I dropped GH because it was to ANSI-centric for my liking ..
Not that I dislike ANSI-layout the least, I loathe the SHIFT-key workarounds on ISO and BIGASS-ISO,
but since my language has 3 characters more than English... That space is needed !
I'll just have to live with the disturbing asymmetric look of ISO :(

Also : 2500USD for a USED G80-5000 ? Get the fukas out of here !!

kalrykh

07 Jul 2012, 18:53

This isnt geekhack 2? Damn. I was under the impression it was founded and is still administered by senior geekhackers.

kalrykh

07 Jul 2012, 18:58

Oh, and ripster, you told me antibiotics would clear that shit up but it won't go away. What the hell did you give me?

TexasFlood

07 Jul 2012, 19:27

ripster wrote:Yeah, where IS that Pi key?Isn't it right by the SUM key?

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 19:38

Sorry Kalrykh and TF. I only respond to lame trolls at Reddit and even then I'll just let the community DOWNVOTE you like they do KeyboardLover.

Oh wait, IP ADDRESS check please Admins! I suspect KL!
http://deskthority.net/search.php?autho ... 6&sr=posts

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”