Geekhate

telepete

05 Jul 2012, 00:33

I'm trying to figure out why the DT people are so horrible to GHer's? I've been a member of both forums for a while and the flaming has never been at this level. Have some members of our society given us a bad name? Is it because so many Geekhackers are American? Do people actually listen to ripster constantly badmouthing us? Thoughts?

Soarer

05 Jul 2012, 00:41

They like a nap in the afternoon.

off

05 Jul 2012, 00:44

First thought: Uhoh.

Now, what I have noticed as legitimate concerns, are the seemingly endlessly newly registering people, of which some do things in ways that might be 'frowned upon'; like 'forgetting' that this isn't a USA based forum, that people from other countries come here, and/or forgetting to search.
That I do frown upon, and mention it when I come across such; but honestly, that has only been one to three posts iirc.

The rest of the hatin', not quite sure. Perhaps fear of this becoming as busy a forum as GH, hence inviting more and more people with only a smidge of intent of doing their own research; iunno.

Oh, do remember that big names currently residing here, webwit and Ripster, left GH, and not without scars.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 01:00

Bhtooefr, ItlnStln, Woody, Fossala...

I could go on and on and..

Anyhoo LOL on the me "tainting" the DT members. They've been telling me to STFU about Geekhack for the last two months! Then I wake up one day and they all are here!
Last edited by ripster on 05 Jul 2012, 01:05, edited 3 times in total.

Soarer

05 Jul 2012, 01:02

Errm, ripster didn't 'leave' geekhack, and he's still in denial!

I've been a member for a year now, and I would rather DT members saw themselves as part of an international community - actually, I think most do. Location should have nothing to do with it. If you want to make DT distinctive, it would be better to make the posts you would like to see more of - perhaps heavyweight technical discussions, or threads with obscure keyboards or switches. And now is the time to do it.

So, show the GH masses what DT is all about - old keyboards and knowledgable people - and see who is into that. And hope that once GH is back up, the good ones don't all leave as well, just because they're not in the EU :roll:

off

05 Jul 2012, 01:12

:roll: It's not an EU thing at all, it's the thing where (americans) come in and act like it's a USA site, posting measurements and prices in USD, assuming a [for sale] threads to be 'naturally' USA only, or not bothering to mention such in the title; it's absolutely an international forum, thankfully!
But with anything that is international, if you're trying to do something locally, or based upon your local system, you mention such clearly; preferably in the title, so all the other internationals don't waste time opening your local ad or misanswering your question.

Acanthophis

05 Jul 2012, 01:13

It's not about the EU vs. America, GH vs. DT, nor Good vs. Evil...

All those new sign ups here (who mostly originated from GH) just use this as a second GH.
Even in the Refugee Camp for GH they blabber about so much off topic (off keyboard) shit.
I find that rude. I find that rude that those GH almost force DT into a second GH.
Because that's what GH was to me. A overpopulated SPAM cave where keyboards and accessoires were a nice sidekick.
For example (and please don't take it the wrong way), DanGWanG (not sure about the spelling, sry) "complained" about the lack of random pic threads and hence opens up new ones...

I realise that those short sentences don't describe exactly how I feel, but then again I am too lazy and this discussion is not worth elaborating my thoughts.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

05 Jul 2012, 01:14

off wrote:posting measurements and prices in USD
What the hell kind of nerd complains about the opportunity to do some math?

Acanthophis

05 Jul 2012, 01:15

sth wrote:
off wrote:posting measurements and prices in USD
What the hell kind of nerd complains about the opportunity to do some math?
Mostly those who still use the imperial system :roll:

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 01:18

Let me just say: Higgs Boson is STILL missing a Spin Zero.
"Now the emphasis will shift to verifying the properties of the particle that has been discovered: does it have spin zero? Does it couple to other particles proportional to their masses?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... s-discover

(GH ProTip: you get bonus points for linking to EU sources)
Last edited by ripster on 05 Jul 2012, 01:24, edited 2 times in total.

off

05 Jul 2012, 01:19

^This. (the one above ripster, damn his posting a sec before mine)
And the actual problem I have with such, is the part where they neglect to mention that they are utilizing that archaic system.

Soarer

05 Jul 2012, 01:21

off wrote::roll: It's not an EU thing at all, it's the thing where (americans) come in and act like it's a USA site, posting measurements and prices in USD, assuming a [for sale] threads to be 'naturally' USA only, or not bothering to mention such in the title; it's absolutely an international forum, thankfully!
Except you also said...
off wrote:This being a mostly EU-based forum, the least you could do when posting US-only stuff is putting it in the title.
Appreciated! ;)
off wrote:But with anything that is international, if you're trying to do something locally, or based upon your local system, you mention such clearly; preferably in the title, so all the other internationals don't waste time opening your local ad or misanswering your question.
I don't see location tags in the titles of most threads in the marketplace - I guess they're assuming EU?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

05 Jul 2012, 01:24

off wrote:^This. (the one above ripster, damn his posting a sec before mine)
And the actual problem I have with such, is the part where they neglect to mention that they are utilizing that archaic system.
I don't think that's quite petty enough to care about. Maybe you should start calling americans fat?

Acanthophis

05 Jul 2012, 01:26

Aren't they?
I know that the Germans are the fattest in Europe.
I believe you guys are the ones in the entire world. But I could be wrong.

emptythecache

05 Jul 2012, 01:35

it's not even just gh vs dt, I'm seeing lots of ghers fighting among themselves. This whole rootworm thing is making lots of edgy people.

MagicMeatball

05 Jul 2012, 01:42

Can't this garbage be put to rest already? FFS....

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 01:50

Not until that Spin Zero is confirmed!

off

05 Jul 2012, 02:09

Touché Soarer&sth.

rodtang

05 Jul 2012, 04:13

The thing is that this site isn't anything like geekhack, that is why we stay here and not at geekhack. And we don't like when people from geekhack come here and think this is "geekhack 2" and act accordingly.

telepete

05 Jul 2012, 04:40

Ok guys. Thank you. I'm sorry I asked. You can go back to trolling each other now.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

05 Jul 2012, 04:42

rodtang wrote:The thing is that this site isn't anything like geekhack, that is why we stay here and not at geekhack. And we don't like when people from geekhack come here and think this is "geekhack 2" and act accordingly.
You know that's literally the exact argument that racial supremacists use too right?

Acanthophis

05 Jul 2012, 04:56

Is it racist if you yell at teenage punks in the park who litter, being loud, and annoy the ducks in the pond when you and your family try to have a picnic?

TexasFlood

05 Jul 2012, 05:09

I was on geekhack before deskthority as many recent, and not so recent, of us were. I joined before geekhack went down this last time but not all that long ago. I've had no issues but try not to troll or feed trolls.

Charlie_Brown_MX

05 Jul 2012, 08:18

sth wrote:
rodtang wrote:The thing is that this site isn't anything like geekhack, that is why we stay here and not at geekhack. And we don't like when people from geekhack come here and think this is "geekhack 2" and act accordingly.
You know that's literally the exact argument that racial supremacists use too right?
Racial supremacists also worry about Geekhackers treating Deskthority like Geekhack 2.0?

fossala
Elite +1

05 Jul 2012, 08:36

I hate all the for sale thread. All that happend on GH was it turned into a cheap way to sell items (normaly at the communties expense). People over a GH just see money, it just the capatalistic mindset of the US I guess. But seriously, look at the amout of for sale threads since the new members joined, most of them used the for sale thread as their first post.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 08:53

My experience is both communities are FILLED with thin skinned people.

At Reddit we just Downvote them into Oblivion.

Man up people!
Last edited by ripster on 05 Jul 2012, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeatball

05 Jul 2012, 09:00

fossala wrote:I hate all the for sale thread. All that happend on GH was it turned into a cheap way to sell items (normaly at the communties expense). People over a GH just see money, it just the capatalistic mindset of the US I guess. But seriously, look at the amout of for sale threads since the new members joined, most of them used the for sale thread as their first post.

dirge

05 Jul 2012, 09:07

I think people who have just started using this site won't appreciate what the volume was like prior to geekhack going down. Its not so much a large increase than it is white noise. I found geekhack difficult to read or engage with any topics. I'd be one voice in a massive crowd with hundreds of conversations all going on at once. Deskthority I found/find great. Smaller community, less post to keep track off, and the people here genuinely know their keyboards and have been around a long time. So if I ask a question or post, its not 5 pages back when I check an hour later.

I resent the first post (only 3 pages back now) it seems like a deliberate attempt to divide people into two camps. Life's not that simple buddy. Plenty geekhack people I think are spot on, and like engaging with.

ripster

05 Jul 2012, 09:13

Do people actually listen to ripster constantly badmouthing us? Thoughts?
Classic troll technique. Amazing to me how many people fall for it.

I've even stopped bad mouthing iMav!

Don't feed the trolls is what my momma taught me.

dirge

05 Jul 2012, 09:16

She starved you?

That's horrible!

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”