Anodized aluminum poker cases

WRXChris

13 Jul 2012, 08:21

damorgue wrote:You should add a pin inside of the tray yo which they can attach their clamp for electricity, which can later be removed, or if designed correctly, can just be left there invisible. This would result in more homogenous surface.
this is a great idea, but I'm not sure if it's feasible. These cases are hand-bent from a flat piece of aluminum and welded at the corners; if they were CNC'd it would be possible to leave a post. The only possible way I can think of is when they cut the corners, to bend a piece of the material inward that would normally be removed and remove it after anodizing.

EDIT: and now that i think about it, it would probably have to be 2 corners for the connection to the electrodes to be able to support this 2lbs. beast!

oneproduct

13 Jul 2012, 20:14

Last ones shipped out just now, hoorah! After who knows how long this group buy is finally done!

mkawa

14 Jul 2012, 07:50

my box came, but won't be back home until sunday night

RougeRambo

16 Jul 2012, 00:13

any chance of something like this being done for other keyboards i.e filco and noppoo

oneproduct

16 Jul 2012, 16:50

I may consider doing one for a Filco TKL, as I have one, but it wouldn't be for a bit as I'm pretty busy with school at the moment.

AKIMbO

16 Jul 2012, 16:52

Oh please do one for a Filco TKL.

emptythecache

16 Jul 2012, 17:37

not to disparage that idea, but I kind of feel like CNC is pretty much a requirement for an aluminum filco case.

oneproduct

16 Jul 2012, 19:14

Yea, I'll have to see what is and what isn't doable. But, for example, it wouldn't be too hard to have a design similar to litster's acrylic cases which I don't believe were made using CNC. You just need to cut some rectangles out of sheets of material and then fasten them together.

damorgue

16 Jul 2012, 19:22

I asked a manufacturer of mine, and to mill a case from a solid block is very expensive. Cutting sheets with a waterjet is however cheap, so a design like litster's is doable in stainless steel or aluminium.

emptythecache

16 Jul 2012, 19:37

oooh that's a good point. Ok, if you do a design similar to the cheat's, I'm TOTALLY in. They wouldn't even require welding so the anodizing on the corners would be uniform.

dorkvader

17 Jul 2012, 05:14

damorgue wrote:I asked a manufacturer of mine, and to mill a case from a solid block is very expensive. Cutting sheets with a waterjet is however cheap, so a design like litster's is doable in stainless steel or aluminium.
Make sure it's phantom compatible, and I'll get one for sure.

Also, check pricing on what it'd cost to get an ergoDOX made up.

oneproduct

17 Jul 2012, 06:51

I don't know what "cheat's" design looks like and I have no idea what measurements an ergoDOX would need. Not sure what needs to be changed from a Filco for it to be Phantom compatible either.

gimpster

17 Jul 2012, 08:08

oneproduct wrote:I don't know what "cheat's" design looks like and I have no idea what measurements an ergoDOX would need. Not sure what needs to be changed from a Filco for it to be Phantom compatible either.
Check with litster for specs, but it needs more space on the bottom of the case to allow room for the controller that's mounted to the bottom of the PCB between the num row and function row. And if you make one compatible, I'll be in for two.

Here's pics of The Cheat:

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+chea ... hority.net

dorkvader

17 Jul 2012, 08:30

Here's the ergoDOX pictures:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/spli ... t1753.html

I believe the thumb clusters have been moved since that render was made, but the design is still the same. (Although I move that all identical plates be consolidated for aesthetic purposes.)

http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isofront.jpg
http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isofront2.jpg
http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isoback.jpg

Right now there are over a hundred people on the interest list (though many are at GH and will not be able to be contacted until it's back up) (many are only interested if the keyboard comes in under a certain price) so I imagine there will be a goodly amount of interest in the case being made once the design is finalized. I'd say about 35-100 depending on price.

The_Beast

17 Jul 2012, 08:37

dorkvader wrote:Here's the ergoDOX pictures:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/spli ... t1753.html

I believe the thumb clusters have been moved since that render was made, but the design is still the same. (Although I move that all identical plates be consolidated for aesthetic purposes.)

http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isofront.jpg
http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isofront2.jpg
http://www.lsdox.com/doxkb/isoback.jpg

Right now there are over a hundred people on the interest list (though many are at GH and will not be able to be contacted until it's back up) (many are only interested if the keyboard comes in under a certain price) so I imagine there will be a goodly amount of interest in the case being made once the design is finalized. I'd say about 35-100 depending on price.
Do you have a picture/dwg/solidworks file with all those plates (with dimensions would be even better)? I know a guy with a laser cutter who might be able to make them.

emptythecache

17 Jul 2012, 13:40

mine showed up yesterday, but i forgot to take my poker home from work to get the gluing done. I'll take some pictures tonight probably.

dorkvader

17 Jul 2012, 16:39

The_Beast wrote:Do you have a picture/dwg/solidworks file with all those plates (with dimensions would be even better)? I know a guy with a laser cutter who might be able to make them.
I don't, but I'll ask DOX about it. At this point, just getting a quote for 100 (50 hands' worth) would be great.

The_Beast

17 Jul 2012, 17:04

Cool, dwg would be best because I could send that to him without doing anything to it other than checking dimensions. I'm assuming you guys want aluminum? He deals mostly in aluminum but I he should be able to do other materials. Like most GB, the more you order, the cheaper it is.

Funny thing is, I don't even want this keyboard, but I like to help ;D

damorgue

17 Jul 2012, 19:07

I have several suppliers that could either waterjet or lasercut it in aluminium or stainless steel. I got a quotation for the Phantom plates already for instance (and a personal Filco case that I am working on). Some sort of drawing or file would be appreciated though.

metafour

18 Jul 2012, 04:26

Mine came today which was good since I just got back from being out of town. Unfortunately the packing material wasn't enough to protect it on the trip to Colorado. =\

gimpster

18 Jul 2012, 06:39

:(

domoaligato

18 Jul 2012, 07:18

oneproduct wrote:I may consider doing one for a Filco TKL, as I have one, but it wouldn't be for a bit as I'm pretty busy with school at the moment.
it would be really cool if the case could also fit a cmstorm qfr. I heard the case was just slightly different somehow. the CMSTORM branding does get old pretty fast.

oneproduct

18 Jul 2012, 16:12

metafour wrote:Mine came today which was good since I just got back from being out of town. Unfortunately the packing material wasn't enough to protect it on the trip to Colorado. =\
Gah! Was yours one of the first ones that I sent out in boxes or was it a parcel one? I'm really sorry about that and very surprised at how rough these must be getting handled along the way. :cry:

I have two extras and I'll hold on to them instead of trying to sell them in case somebody's gets really mangled along the way.

mkawa

18 Jul 2012, 16:36

meta, if that bothers you i'm going to have treble refinish my cases. we could have him do them in one batch if you want. it'll be a bit later though, after he finds some free time and things aren't so hectic with gh

dorkvader

18 Jul 2012, 16:41

domoaligato wrote:
oneproduct wrote:I may consider doing one for a Filco TKL, as I have one, but it wouldn't be for a bit as I'm pretty busy with school at the moment.
it would be really cool if the case could also fit a cmstorm qfr. I heard the case was just slightly different somehow. the CMSTORM branding does get old pretty fast.
Just needs extra space under the PCB for the USB-cable-inlet-board. (And a hole, ofcourse, for the cable.)

As far as I know, the top is the same, even including the removable controller placement.

metafour

18 Jul 2012, 16:59

oneproduct wrote:
metafour wrote:Mine came today which was good since I just got back from being out of town. Unfortunately the packing material wasn't enough to protect it on the trip to Colorado. =\
Gah! Was yours one of the first ones that I sent out in boxes or was it a parcel one? I'm really sorry about that and very surprised at how rough these must be getting handled along the way. :cry:

I have two extras and I'll hold on to them instead of trying to sell them in case somebody's gets really mangled along the way.
It was in the foam and paper packing. I think the issue is the foam. It just doesn't provide enough cushioning for any impacts. I don't remember any thing looking damaged on the packing in that area. The anodizing looks like it is flaking off in some of the welded spots too. Although that could be from being hit there too.

@mkawa Is treble in the US? Wondering about the cost of shipping this again. Did you decide on a new color yet?

gimpster

18 Jul 2012, 19:03

metafour wrote:@mkawa Is treble in the US?
Pretty sure he's down in Cali, if I remember from his thread on GH.

The_Beast

18 Jul 2012, 19:09

I thought he was in china, I bought a mouse pad from him and it had custom stamps on it

metafour

18 Jul 2012, 20:44

The_Beast wrote:I thought he was in china, I bought a mouse pad from him and it had custom stamps on it
I did too but this might have been contracted out.

mkawa

18 Jul 2012, 20:44

treble's in the south bay (northern california)

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”