ekw808

07 Jul 2012, 00:12

paid

WRXChris

07 Jul 2012, 00:38

paid!

Elrobo

07 Jul 2012, 01:51

Yep, can't wait to get my red alerts and grey modifiers into this (well after I get those presumably early august). Also complete weird aside - Oneproduct I think I used to have the same floorfan, if it is the same the safety cage around the blades is complete garbage, can fit a whole thumb right through it.

oneproduct

07 Jul 2012, 21:15

Here's a little video explaining how to set it up for those that didn't ask for me to do it for them. Pretty straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuaEI6snDM

I may not be able to send any more out until Thursday as I've got some homework I need to do this weekend then from Monday to Wednesday I have classes.

metafour

07 Jul 2012, 21:23

I was thinking about using velcro to attach my plate to the case. That way I could remove it and I wouldn't need to wait for it to cure. Can anyone think of drawbacks to this approach?

Elrobo

07 Jul 2012, 23:09

I would guess that would make the kb rest a bit higher, and potentially (depending on how well you push to link the two layers) have a little give in places where it's not fully flush.

oneproduct

07 Jul 2012, 23:16

If you used two strips along the top and bottom edge of the longer sides it would probably stay pretty steady. It may be a bit taller as he said though, which may make your keycaps go above the height of the case walls.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 23:20

no, some thin velcro's probably a good idea.

oneproduct

07 Jul 2012, 23:27

I'll be gluing a first trial one tonight. Maybe I'll see if I can try one using velcro tomorrow to compare them.

oneproduct

07 Jul 2012, 23:44

Actually, going to go buy some velcro right now to try that first since if that doesn't work well I can undo whereas with the glue I can't undo it lol.

edit: scratch that, apparently the store hours listed on the website don't match those IRL. I'll have to go tomorrow, which means I'll go ahead and glue one tonight and try velcro the next day.

MagicMeatball

08 Jul 2012, 00:03

oneproduct wrote:Actually, going to go buy some velcro right now to try that first since if that doesn't work well I can undo whereas with the glue I can't undo it lol.

edit: scratch that, apparently the store hours listed on the website don't match those IRL. I'll have to go tomorrow, which means I'll go ahead and glue one tonight and try velcro the next day.
Have you considered double-sided foam tape?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-110P-Scotch-Br ... d_sbs_op_3

It would allow you to stick 2 surfaces together, without needing to resort to glue, as well as provide some acoustic dampening.

WRXChris

08 Jul 2012, 00:12

MagicMeatball wrote:
oneproduct wrote:Actually, going to go buy some velcro right now to try that first since if that doesn't work well I can undo whereas with the glue I can't undo it lol.

Have you considered double-sided foam tape?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-110P-Scotch-Br ... d_sbs_op_3

It would allow you to stick 2 surfaces together, without needing to resort to glue, as well as provide some acoustic dampening.
This is what I'm planning on doing (though it was originally mkawa's idea I believe, of using 3M command strips).

I have no need for easy dip switch access, which would be the only benefit of using industrial velcro over doublesided tape.

oneproduct

08 Jul 2012, 00:17

That also looks like a good alternative. Now I'm not sure what to go for lol. So much easier for the ones that I didn't have to assemble myself, that way everyone can just use what they want to get it done.

Anyone have any experience using some of these things who could comment on glue vs velcro vs tape?

Glue is thinner and probably stronger but is extremely difficult to remove if you wanted (i.e. you need acetone to remove it) or if you made a mistake when gluing them together.

Velcro and tape are thicker, so the keycaps might stick up a bit from the walls, but also provide a very even foundation for the mounting plate, whereas the glue might not spread perfectly evenly. Easy to apply and remove though.

All options are about the same price.

xbb

08 Jul 2012, 00:33

hmm, don't glue mine, I'll do it myself :) I think velcro is a good idea.

oneproduct

08 Jul 2012, 01:00

xbb wrote:hmm, don't glue mine, I'll do it myself :) I think velcro is a good idea.
Alright. I'll mail yours out tomorrow then.

Elrobo

08 Jul 2012, 01:22

Great, now I'm interested in the velcro or tape idea too. Which means I don't need to hassle you to do it, so if you like you can ship my clear brushed one out unglued as well (sorry for all the flip flopping changes).

oneproduct

08 Jul 2012, 01:42

Elrobo wrote:Great, now I'm interested in the velcro or tape idea too. Which means I don't need to hassle you to do it, so if you like you can ship my clear brushed one out unglued as well (sorry for all the flip flopping changes).
Not a problem at all, and actually easier for me! I'll have yours out tomorrow as well.

oneproduct

08 Jul 2012, 03:53

Here's some pictures from the set up process: http://imgur.com/a/OjuSe#0

1. Find a glue designed for metal. This particular brand had about 10 different choices, several of which listed they were suitable for metal, but on the back of the package they rated this one highest for use with metal (they use a star rating system). Make sure you find a non-expanding glue. Gorilla glue for example expands to 3-4 times the application size.

2. Wear gloves just in case so you don't get glue on your skin.

3. The glue I used says 1 drop per square inch, so I marked it out ahead of time.

4. Make a little jig in order to align the insert in the center when you glue it in place. Here I've used popsicle sticks and tape to get the right distance from the edges.

5. Close up of one of the popsicle stick jig pieces.

6. Put the insert in and clamp it in place.

7. Leave it clamped for as long as your glue suggests.

8. Using an exacto knife to cut the insulation. I like to leave a little bit of overhang along the parts that are cut inwards from the edges since they will fold a bit when the integrated circuit they accommodate fits into that hole.

9. Mark the position of the screw holes and then cut the insulation at those points.

oneproduct

08 Jul 2012, 04:28

The glue holds great. Missing a few metal keys still :)

Terran Mech Keyboard ;D

3.25 pounds

mkawa

08 Jul 2012, 04:32

holy crap, 3kg poker? you're insane

metafour

08 Jul 2012, 05:49

mkawa wrote:holy crap, 3kg poker? you're insane
The scale says lbs, not kg, on the inside. ;)

mkawa

08 Jul 2012, 06:10

oops :P

jonnybastard

09 Jul 2012, 05:10

Payment sent, thanks!

Elrobo

10 Jul 2012, 06:54

And money away, can't wait to get this bad boy in.

oneproduct

10 Jul 2012, 18:17

I'm working on gluing together some of them today. I'll try to have around 4 of them out. I'm leaving them clamped together for an hour to let the glue cure so that's the limiting factor.

domoaligato

10 Jul 2012, 20:17

oneproduct wrote:That also looks like a good alternative. Now I'm not sure what to go for lol. So much easier for the ones that I didn't have to assemble myself, that way everyone can just use what they want to get it done.

Anyone have any experience using some of these things who could comment on glue vs velcro vs tape?

Glue is thinner and probably stronger but is extremely difficult to remove if you wanted (i.e. you need acetone to remove it) or if you made a mistake when gluing them together.

Velcro and tape are thicker, so the keycaps might stick up a bit from the walls, but also provide a very even foundation for the mounting plate, whereas the glue might not spread perfectly evenly. Easy to apply and remove though.

All options are about the same price.
I have used both velco and 3m double sided tape quite abit doing case mods for OCN.
double sided tape will hold much better then velcro.
the glue on velcro may not have enough strength to hold something like this in place.
and once you pull it apart once it will probably remove the velcro from the metal and not separate the two sides.

but if you want a more permanent solution, 3m double sided tape is going to work better then velcro.
I use this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref ... wo=&hvqmt=

metafour

10 Jul 2012, 20:31

Ah, yes. I have a front lip on my WRX that has lasted many Colorado mountain winters that is attached using some of this, or similar, 3M tape.

oneproduct

10 Jul 2012, 21:19

After trying out some gluing, I'm a pretty big fan of it. It seems pretty darn solid and it's not actually that hard to apply. It's also super thin to make sure that the side walls of the case come up to the height of the keycaps.

Here's a picture of one that's been glued together. I think it looks pretty neat.

Here's a video explaining how to go about gluing the two pieces together if you choose to go that way. It's still uploading as of the time of posting but should be ready in a few minutes.
http://youtu.be/AfKA_LjsUHs

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”