hhkb pro type s

4en

07 Jul 2012, 23:20

elitekeyboards just lowered the price on their hhkb pro 2 type s to $445 down from $490!
it is now cheapest to buy the type s from elitekeyboards if you are in N/A

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 23:21

Everyone should buy one, there the best keyboards. I would buy another if they released it in black.

jcrouse

08 Jul 2012, 01:22

4en wrote:elitekeyboards just lowered the price on their hhkb pro 2 type s to $445 down from $490!
it is now cheapest to buy the type s from elitekeyboards if you are in N/A
I would get one of these and hop on the MM band wagon since I know he likes hism we could start a club, if I had not just ordered a new Realforce 10th anniversary 55g uniform this morning. THe wife would de-nut me if I got this. Ya can only fint so much under the bed or in the desk drawers at work.

John

PS ... I was using the G80-8113 from Reptile;s GB at work the other day. I do tech support for a living and 3 co-workers walked over and started asking me questions. I showed them the CC reader on the kbd and told them they needed to pay first. I may google for an image of a "We accept .." credit card imade and put it up in my cubicle.

longweight
key-bored

08 Jul 2012, 01:25

I really want to try one!

MagicMeatball

08 Jul 2012, 01:31

megnin

09 Jul 2012, 15:22

Other than, well, it's "silent", what's the difference between a regular HHKB and a Type "S"?

The "Silent" Realforce is only $31.00 USD more than the regular on and it has more keys to silence.

The HHKB Type "S" is $145.00 USD more than the regular one. I like my HHKBs and would really like to have a Type "S", but justifying that difference is a tough one.

Topre Enthusiast

09 Jul 2012, 16:09

For anyone outside of the US looking for a Type-S, they can be had direct from PFU for ~$380 USD.
All you need is an account on Tenso.com and a bit of patience.

dirge

09 Jul 2012, 16:22

002 wrote:For anyone outside of the US looking for a Type-S, they can be had direct from PFU for ~$380 USD.
Thanks that's a really good tip. Quite tempted now.

HzFaq

09 Jul 2012, 16:26

PFU/Fujitsu have an office in the same business park as me, I have to walk past it to get into my building. I've thought about going in there and asking if they can get me some bits, pretty sure they wouldn't keep saleable stock lying around though...One day I'll pluck up the courage and go ask!

kaiserreich

09 Jul 2012, 16:59

002 wrote:For anyone outside of the US looking for a Type-S, they can be had direct from PFU for ~$380 USD.
That includes the domestic shipping cost right?

longweight
key-bored

09 Jul 2012, 17:15

Do it, I want one!

bazemk1979

09 Jul 2012, 17:24

Only $445 for damn keyboard, oh well I'm getting 3 then right? riiiiight....

jdcarpe

09 Jul 2012, 18:41

Thanks for the tip. Seems a good way to get a HHKB Pro 2 JP.

dirge

09 Jul 2012, 18:44

demik wrote: Sure, if you buy directly from pfu.

But you are buying from EK, a reseller.
Well given 002's advice the elite keyboards price does seem high. But you can't compare them to clack scalpers.

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 20:02

There is a difference between a retailer setting a high price and people quickly buying up all stock of something, then selling very high.

The reason why it IS worth $444 (price I paid at smartimports) is because it is the best keyboard around. If I had a regular pro 2 I would always think that there is a better keyboard out there. I now know I have the best (still want to try a datahand but not for day to day typing).

JesuswasaZombie

09 Jul 2012, 20:18

fossala wrote:There is a difference between a retailer setting a high price and people quickly buying up all stock of something, then selling very high.

The reason why it IS worth $444 (price I paid at smartimports) is because it is the best keyboard around. If I had a regular pro 2 I would always think that there is a better keyboard out there. I now know I have the best (still want to try a datahand but not for day to day typing).
This just proves Topre's Japanese luxury goods business model of "The higher an items prices the better it must be, right?". The silicone rings dampeners are not worth $200... I'm not saying it is a bad keyboard but the price just isn't justified.

dirge

09 Jul 2012, 20:18

You can't really compare a business marking up 20% to cover it's costs. To an individual marking up 400%.

megnin

09 Jul 2012, 20:40

So, where can someone in the US get the best deal on a Type-S?

JesuswasaZombie

09 Jul 2012, 21:01

Probably not going to get better than Amazon.jp and having a friend ship it over.

rainb1ood

09 Jul 2012, 22:03

Is there a price break down of parts or explanation of the HHKB Pro 2 Type S's premium price? (Capacitive switches, Material, labor, etc)

I just want to understand why does it cost like that :)

fossala
Elite +1

09 Jul 2012, 22:04

It does have better moldings. but no, there is no reason it should be that much. The Pro 2 shouldn't be $300 either though.

xbb

09 Jul 2012, 22:06

why they don't sell it in Europe? :(

JBert

09 Jul 2012, 22:11

xbb wrote:why they don't sell it in Europe? :(
PFU supposedly didn't want to pay for CE approval, hence making import difficult. I believe that resellers have to do a lot of paperwork or pay for the testing to be able to legally import the keyboard.

demik

09 Jul 2012, 22:17

JBert wrote:
xbb wrote:why they don't sell it in Europe? :(
PFU supposedly didn't want to pay for CE approval, hence making import difficult. I believe that resellers have to do a lot of paperwork or pay for the testing to be able to legally import the keyboard.
it's a shame too, they are lovely keyboards (own three).

Topre Enthusiast

09 Jul 2012, 23:14

Haha came back in here wondering if anyone might need help with ordering from PFU
Was not disappointed. AAA+++ Would Read Again, guys.

tsangan

09 Jul 2012, 23:17

002 wrote:Haha came back in here wondering if anyone might need help with ordering from PFU
For ~$380 USD I'm interested.

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

09 Jul 2012, 23:37

The Demongolator demongolated.

megnin

09 Jul 2012, 23:42

tsangan wrote:
002 wrote:Haha came back in here wondering if anyone might need help with ordering from PFU
Yeah, I'd be interested in picking one for for around $380 USD, too.

jcrouse

09 Jul 2012, 23:48

megnin wrote:
tsangan wrote:
Yeah, I'd be interested in picking one for for around $380 USD, too.
Sounds like a GB shaping up. I'm all in.

longweight
key-bored

10 Jul 2012, 00:02

I'm in.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”