PS/2 port inconsistent?

mellohello

12 Jul 2012, 02:53

Hi, I'm using a keyboard via PS/2. I tested it some time ago in passmark and noticed a tendency for PS/2 to randomly deviate from 2ms to 20ms lag or more between keypresses, for no apparent reason. I brushed it off, and have been fine playing fpses on PS/2 since.

But recently I got into fighting games on my PC, and began noticing a trend for PS/2 port inconsistency (?). The game I play right now sometimes requires the player to press 3 buttons at the same time (within a few ms), and I've noticed that every 5 or 6 attempts, I fail this combination in PS/2. I never fail it with usb, or on my friend's gamepad, and have been consistent with the combo on consoles. Even using a straight edged tool to press the keys on the keyboard results in the same number of misses. I'd understand a miss every now and then since PS/2 is supposedly more accurate, but the high number of failed button presses in a very lenient game suggest hardware lag rather than human error.

Does anyone know what it might be?

Thanks very much.

mellohello

14 Jul 2012, 18:47

I've tried all the bios settings, and still getting that random 20ms lag and missed combos ingame... And given that the game is designed to be played with a large variety of controllers, I really think the game is fairly lenient with multiple press timing. If the presses were supposed to be within 1 or 2 milliseconds of each other I'd chalk it down to my lack of skill but I find that hard to believe...

Any help?

Thanks.

Peter

14 Jul 2012, 18:58

You fail to tell us what keyboard it is ?

mellohello

14 Jul 2012, 18:59

Right! Good point. It's a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (supposedly a Costar/Filco rebrand?) in MX black, roughly 2 weeks old.
CPU: 3570k
Motherboard: MSI z77a-g43 <- Budget and crappy... I kind of suspect it :p

Peter

14 Jul 2012, 19:05

OK..
The first SteelSeries boards didn't behave as expected either, that's why they made 'v2' ..
Maybe it's the same thing going on here ?

mellohello

14 Jul 2012, 19:27

Oh dear... not much I can do about it then I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

Peter

14 Jul 2012, 19:56

mellohello wrote:Oh dear... not much I can do about it then I suppose. Thanks for the reply.
If it IS related to the controller (or it's firmware) then :
No, there is not much you can do about it yourself.
But I don't know for a fact that it's the cause of the problem and since yours seems to be the first report of
a problem with this particular board, it could be something else causing it ..

Anyone else having similar problems with this keyboard ?

dorkvader

14 Jul 2012, 23:34

I ran my CM storm QF rapid (red) with a PS/2 port for a few days (also I used a USB to ps2 to usb adapter once for various reasons) and I haven't had this issue.

Of course, I'm only human and don't have passmark, so I can't tell 20ms lag.
If these issues don't exist over USB, I'd recommend that. I used the same keyboard as above (and my one with MX blue) for several months (and about a week respectively) with no perceivable issues.

My current computer doesn't have PS2 (stupid mac pro: anyone want it?) so I can't really test it further.

Have you tried opening it up and re-seating the controller? It's above the arrow keys and removable. Once, I didn't get it seated properly, and it had issues.

Anyone else?

mellohello

15 Jul 2012, 00:59

Thanks again for the replies!

Just to clarify, passmark keyboard test is free for 30 days. I don't have enough money to go spending on a keyboard benchmark program :p.

I wouldn't have been able to tell either but for the easy button combo I keep missing in street fighter :L. I've been absolutely fine with the board until this point, and I wouldn't have noticed an occasional 20ms in an fps either probably. But after I kept missing the easy presses I went back on passmark and now I'm a little obsessed with it... I'm having to use a button macro to press all three keys in the meantime, which is less than ideal. But you can remove the controller? How on earth do you do that? (Pardon my ignorance!). Does it involve removing the "do not remove" sticker by any chance? I'm not too keen on voiding my warranty yet :p.

Thanks again for the help

Edit: Oh, I found out how to open it. I think it's too early for me to be trying that tbh, but thanks for the suggestion

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”