deskthority.net vs geekhack.org

phetto
Elite

30 Jun 2012, 19:16

deskthority > all

JBert

30 Jun 2012, 21:21

With all recent activity and trolling I'm reminded of my own post about a year ago: (read the link for more context)
JBert wrote:
Jim66 wrote:It seems as though GH has descended into anarchy. I have no idea what caused it but there seems to be an awful lot of moaning going on.
Too much meta stuff going on. Ripster is merely an excellent catalyst, being the forum's "idol" and main source of posts.

Most guys simply have the keyboard they want or are waiting for it to arrive, then find that they can't quit the GH community when they get tired discussing keyboard specifics. So they start wasting time on how some members don't follow some set of divine rules, and all goes to hell in a handbasket.
I'm not sure how Deskthority will handle this, especially with the inflow of GH refugees.

Somehow I wonder if preventive bans for anyone with a too low signal/noise ratio can drive the point "make your post useful or don't bother" home. Even stripping someone's posting rights might do the trick, as PMs actually hurt nobody unless they're used to spam.

DanGWanG

30 Jun 2012, 21:26

JBert wrote:With all recent activity and trolling I'm reminded of my own post about a year ago: (read the link for more context)
JBert wrote:
Jim66 wrote:It seems as though GH has descended into anarchy. I have no idea what caused it but there seems to be an awful lot of moaning going on.
Too much meta stuff going on. Ripster is merely an excellent catalyst, being the forum's "idol" and main source of posts.

Most guys simply have the keyboard they want or are waiting for it to arrive, then find that they can't quit the GH community when they get tired discussing keyboard specifics. So they start wasting time on how some members don't follow some set of divine rules, and all goes to hell in a handbasket.
I'm not sure how Deskthority will handle this, especially with the inflow of GH refugees.

Somehow I wonder if preventive bans for anyone with a too low signal/noise ratio can drive the point "make your post useful or don't bother" home. Even stripping someone's posting rights might do the trick, as PMs actually hurt nobody unless they're used to spam.
Don't worry, we'll be gone soon enough :)

I'm actually getting to spend some quality time on real life and perfect timing too, with summer and whatnot...

Ragnorock

30 Jun 2012, 21:32

To be honest I've noticed more DT guys moaning about our presence than us complaining that it's down. Sorry we're such an inconvenience, but we'll be gone as soon as it comes back, or at least those that weren't here already. Till then, if you don't want to have a big flame war, be more inviting? I respect and enjoy both communities, and they aren't changing their styles anytime soon.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jun 2012, 21:36

DanGWanG wrote:I'm actually getting to spend some quality time on real life and perfect timing too, with summer and whatnot...
All lies! You are posting on DESKTHORITY because you are a keyboard ADDICT! :evilgeek:

reaper

30 Jun 2012, 21:39

Nah, we're just posting here to see when you're gonna ban ripster next. lol

DanGWanG

30 Jun 2012, 21:46

webwit wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:I'm actually getting to spend some quality time on real life and perfect timing too, with summer and whatnot...
All lies! You are posting on DESKTHORITY because you are a keyboard ADDICT! :evilgeek:
I know, I'm living in denial!!!! Rule #1 in AA is to admit denial...so at least I'm progressing?

silat

30 Jun 2012, 22:36

DanGWanG wrote:
webwit wrote:
I know, I'm living in denial!!!! Rule #1 in AA is to admit denial...so at least I'm progressing?

Actually you must admit you have a problem first:)
Hi I am Silat. I am a keyboard addict.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 22:49

reaper wrote:Nah, we're just posting here to see when you're gonna ban ripster next. lol

Me too!

off

30 Jun 2012, 22:54

silat wrote:
DanGWanG wrote:I know, I'm living in denial!!!! Rule #1 in AA is to admit denial...so at least I'm progressing?
Actually you must admit you have a problem first:)
Hi I am Silat. I am a keyboard addict.
^step 3
Hi I am off, I am denying that I am a keyboard addict.
^step 1
Hi I am off, I am in denial about being a keyboard addict, and acknowledge that to be a bit of a problem.
^step 2

GH1391401

01 Jul 2012, 20:51

I forget if I posted this or not, but one thing I did not notice so much at geekhack that I notice here is a lot of bitterness. The only times I remember Deskthority mentioned was in group buys. Here there is a lot of attention on bashing members of Geekhack, the owner, or the forum as a whole. I find this interesting because (and this is a casual observation) many threads link to GH content and due to recent events a lot of threads here seem to have lost a lot of information as a result.

didja

01 Jul 2012, 22:04

artee wrote:which site is better? what do you think? I like the geekhack.org more, because its background is black which is great especially in the night. ;-)
Each is very different. Many people migrated here from GH for various reasons so there's quite a bit of history between the two sites but most people visit both. I dare say most of the people with the largest collections or most involvement are on DT alone (some by choice, some not) or both DT and GH but not solely on GH.

If you have a technical question you want to ask, you'll get better results on DT. That's fact and I've tested it by posting the same question to each site.

I don't like the black background on GH so I change the theme to one with white in my user preferences. The only downside is when people post in yellow font because they assume the world sees the same thing they do on the forum.

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 22:34

Well, that was impressive.

The DT server doesn't appear all that stressed by the extra traffic.

If this was a ClickClack Group Buy at Geekhack the server would be down by now.

INB4 Mkawa sez that will NEVER happen!

Damn, I am REALLY getting into the spirit of the Geekhacker refugee camp LOGO!
as rendered in hand by ClickClack

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Jul 2012, 22:45

The server is snoozing.

Code: Select all

10:39PM  up 1020 days, 22:26, 2 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.22, 0.26
I might move at some point to a new server at the same host, because after 3 years they offer much better hardware now for the same price. But maybe not. If it ain't broke, etc.

ripster

03 Jul 2012, 23:13

Jump to: