deskthority.net vs geekhack.org

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Mar 2011, 17:33

Basically we created this place as alternative for those that feel the need for one. Personally I was not happy with the way geekhack was going for one or another personal reason. Webwit has his own more drastic reasons, but I am not one to speak about that.

Findecanor

18 Mar 2011, 17:47

Heh.. :| This is far from the first time that I have seen people who were prominent members of one big board falling out, break out and create their own board. I can understand if you want to keep your reasons secret, but you can't blame me for being curious when it is so obvious.

I applaud you for having created a real wiki that is not just a subforum. It is quite lacking in content, though. If it had as much content as Geekhack's then it would be much easier to use, just because it is a real wiki.
I think also that there is a lack of a proper alternative to OCN's "Mechanical Keyboard Guide".

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 17:53

Brian8bit

18 Mar 2011, 18:03

Didn't OCN just rip everything off of Ripsters for their mechanical keyboard guide?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Mar 2011, 18:07

Findecanor wrote: Heh.. :| This is far from the first time that I have seen people who were prominent members of one big board falling out, break out and create their own board. I can understand if you want to keep your reasons secret, but you can't blame me for being curious when it is so obvious.
My personal reasons were a mix of feelings. This includes being sick of the same "what keyboard to buy?" and "gamer looking for keyboard" threads day in and day out. To me it felt like geekhack had lost most of the "enthusiast" feel and was slowly mutating into a mix of OCN and 4chan. Most of the real good mods and posts barely got any views, nor comments and disappeared in the flood of the same old gaming and what not topics. That is sad. I wanted to create a forum aimed at more advanced users.

That aside, I was also not happy with how geekhack got more and more complex with every update. No more mega threads, lets create a sub-forum for everything, do this and that, oh another sub-sub-forum and lets even split the picture topics into 5 sub-forums.

Even with the forum spy that all became very confusing and quite a pain in the ass for me to navigate. I always thought "I would do that different".

All that aside I was also very disappointed when webwits account was finally deleted including all posts. Then also threads asking about that disappeared in silence. iMav has all the right do moderate his forum in whatever way he wants, but for me silent-moderation is a no-go. I have kept out of that whole business before, but that nailed the coffin for me.
Findecanor wrote: I applaud you for having created a real wiki that is not just a subforum. It is quite lacking in content, though. If it had as much content as Geekhack's then it would be much easier to use, just because it is a real wiki.
I think also that there is a lack of a proper alternative to OCN's "Mechanical Keyboard Guide".
I actually had to "fight" to get the wiki through. Webwit was originally planning to go with a forum based one too, but I wanted to hear none of it :D

crowstar

18 Mar 2011, 18:25

While I love ripsters humerus threads, every thread DOES get irritating when you're trying to find an answer. Also the new ocn members are less than great.

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 18:27

crowstar wrote:While I love ripsters humerus threads, every thread DOES get irritating when you're trying to find an answer. Also the new ocn members are less than great.
It's humorous btw. If you are a Doctor you'd know the humerus is the funny bone. If you are a foreigner I forgive you.

IanM

18 Mar 2011, 19:39

It's quite disappointing that some of you are already saying this forum is redundant. It's in its' infancy, of course there are many geekhack members here as they are some of the first to be aware of Deskthority. For now, there is a different atmosphere, and the stronger focus for European users is great. I don't doubt that as the forum grows, it will form a stronger identity that's less geekhack influenced and more distinctly Deskthority.
sixty wrote:being sick of the same "what keyboard to buy?" and "gamer looking for keyboard" threads day in and day out.
It'll probably happen here as well, it's the same on all tech forums, but rather than be negative about it - is there a strategy to manage these types of queries? At least the positive aspect is more people learning about mechanical switches, and realising that there is a better life beyond the cheap generic keyboards. I've often wondered if there is a possibility that mechanical keyboards might disappear entirely from mainstream availability.
sixty wrote:Most of the real good mods and posts barely got any views, nor comments and disappeared in the flood of the same old gaming and what not topics.
I guess part of the answer is to somehow promote these types of threads above the mundane buying advice, but do you care if potential new members are intimidated and choose not to participate?
sixty wrote:I wanted to create a forum aimed at more advanced users.
This only becomes apparent from reading some of the posts from yourself and the other founders. When I registered I had more of an impression that this forum was aiming to promote European interests as much as anything else, the advanced users message isn't such a clear part of the forum's image.

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 19:50

My initial impression was that there would be as many boobs here as on a German beach in August. I am disappoint (NSFW).

Brian8bit

18 Mar 2011, 19:56

IanM wrote:It'll probably happen here as well, it's the same on all tech forums, but rather than be negative about it - is there a strategy to manage these types of queries? At least the positive aspect is more people learning about mechanical switches, and realising that there is a better life beyond the cheap generic keyboards. I've often wondered if there is a possibility that mechanical keyboards might disappear entirely from mainstream availability.
The Keyboard Oracle. One thread to answer them all. One thread to bind them. And in the dark.... ah whatever that LOTR speech is.
I guess part of the answer is to somehow promote these types of threads above the mundane buying advice, but do you care if potential new members are intimidated and choose not to participate?
Again, the Oracle. If people make a thread asking for which keyboard to buy, the thread should either be locked or redirected to the Oracle thread.
This only becomes apparent from reading some of the posts from yourself and the other founders. When I registered I had more of an impression that this forum was aiming to promote European interests as much as anything else, the advanced users message isn't such a clear part of the forum's image.
I to joined because I thought it would be more Euro focused. The advanced user bit is a bonus. I'm not a particularly advanced user, but I welcome the ability to learn.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Mar 2011, 20:05

The Euro thing kinda came in as a bonus, and so far we are getting great support, especially from Bruce at the KeyboardCompany.

What I wrote above were my initial thoughts. The actual outcome is a bit (although not much) different. Also don't get any of that wrong. I do not mind unexperienced users at all - that is what the keyboard oracle is for, indeed.

It only bugged me that pretty much every 2nd thread on geekhack was the same and new users could have just scrolled down a bit to find all their answers.

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 20:05

I was surprised the forum wasn't all in Deutsch. That woulda worked on that Euro thing.

In for the Lederhosen!

Parabellum

18 Mar 2011, 20:32

I'm getting the best of both worlds, they both have ups and downs that balance eachother out.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Mar 2011, 20:33

Thats the spirit!

Findecanor

18 Mar 2011, 22:17

sixty wrote:That aside, I was also not happy with how geekhack got more and more complex with every update. No more mega threads, lets create a sub-forum for everything, do this and that, oh another sub-sub-forum and lets even split the picture topics into 5 sub-forums.
On the other hand, those mega threads were quite difficult to search in.
sixty wrote:All that aside I was also very disappointed when webwits account was finally deleted including all posts. Then also threads asking about that disappeared in silence. iMav has all the right do moderate his forum in whatever way he wants, but for me silent-moderation is a no-go. I have kept out of that whole business before, but that nailed the coffin for me.
That is outrageous. A mod should not delete all a user's posts without discrimination: Think of all the useful information that is lost! Big mod decisions such as banning, should always be made public, with an explanation why, to set an example to the members: set rule precedent (for members and for other moderators) and to show that moderation works.
Edit: Everyone loses when useful posts are deleted, no matter who wanted them to be deleted.
IanM wrote:
sixty wrote:I wanted to create a forum aimed at more advanced users.
When I registered I had more of an impression that this forum was aiming to promote European interests as much as anything else, the advanced users message isn't such a clear part of the forum's image.
:lol: That is always a part of why offshoots such as this one happen. It is always a clique of users who consider themselves the elite, where one or more have had a falling off with the board's moderators.
I saw this phenomenon back in the days of dial-up BBS's. I saw it a few years ago on a board where I have been a moderator (and in that case, the moderators were right, of course. :D ) . You can even see it on TV: Adam Savage on Mythbusters has been wearing a T-shirt that says "Toys For Big Boys" -- that is one (of several) offshoots created by disgruntled elitist members from The RPF.
However.. that is usually just the beginning.
Last edited by Findecanor on 19 Mar 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 22:23

Seems like a lot of work to play with HTML. I'd rather play with Legos.

And being a Forum Moderator? Sometimes I actually feel SORRY for the Overclock.net mods. This usually passes as soon as they post something.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Mar 2011, 22:31

OTD manages pretty well. My motivation wasn't related to geekhack, but more of a English/western forum in the spirit of OTD, although we are not even attempting to copy them either. We'll develop our own feel and our own community, and how it ends up like depends on the members really. I like we're getting a really good mix of nationalities. I wouldn't necessarily call us a European forum, although the founders are Europeans. We have more focus on Europe for sure, but in the future I would like it too if we for example get group orders which are also shipped from different parts of the world such as the US or Asia. So far the forum has been growing much more rapidly than I would have dared to hope for, so the demand for an alternative forum seems to be there.

ripster

18 Mar 2011, 22:36

The OP has exactly 10 posts and hasn't been back. Time for another contest.

ripster

19 Mar 2011, 15:44

Deskthority.net is THE place to hang out when Geekhack is down.

Better than OCN fo SHO! - they spend all their time arguing about "Lasered" versus "Lased".

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/4917 ... st12781680

ripster

19 Mar 2011, 19:44

Geekhack is still down.

I would like to take this opportunity to assure everyone that your money is SAFE with iMav. There is NO TRUTH to the rumor that he has fled to Brazil with his Group Buy PayPal account filled with Geekhack Key, Group Key Buy 3, or USA Poker orders.

It's like anybody named "Bob", a name you can always trust. iMav has an honest face.

I know nothing of the source of this pic. It appeared on my hard drive one day (I also told the FBI this about my /b/ folder).
Attachments
workspace1.jpg
workspace1.jpg (211.26 KiB) Viewed 14853 times

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Mar 2011, 19:51

I wonder how long till you realize geekhack isn't down, but you're just ip-banned.

ripster

19 Mar 2011, 21:34

Lol!

This could affect my post count there.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

19 Mar 2011, 21:56

Spharx wrote:Both forums are great, but deskthority suits me better because it has ( or it will have ) more European users.
This fact leads to :

- More european ebay links
- better, faster & cheaper shipping
- ISO !! xD

so all in all less problems.
I'm pretty sure all the founding members of this site are ANSI lovers.
maybe webwit was a former GHer.
He was. Ho ho ho.
All that aside I was also very disappointed when webwits account was finally deleted including all posts. Then also threads asking about that disappeared in silence. iMav has all the right do moderate his forum in whatever way he wants, but for me silent-moderation is a no-go. I have kept out of that whole business before, but that nailed the coffin for me.
There was quite a lot of useful information that disappeared with those posts. Pissed me off no end when I tried to find some pictures that Webwit posted (No, not _those_ ones)
My initial impression was that there would be as many boobs here as on a German beach in August. I am disappoint (NSFW).
There's something that really sticks out in that picture...

...the '0120, a very nice Model M variant.

yellowFreak

19 Mar 2011, 22:26

I feel that Deskthority is more EU friendly, what I hope it will be and starts to reach the companies with the need of ISO layouyts!

Ekaros

20 Mar 2011, 11:59

Only thing I truly miss from Geekhack is dark-them. Works better on my eyes.

ISO FTW!

Also, EU is working on legistlation which allow citizens to get all of their info deleted if request...

db_Iodine

20 Mar 2011, 12:36

I call for more keyboards in Europe available in ANSI layout. There are too many ISO keyboards and too few ANSI keyboards available in Europe! Thanks to The Keyboard Company for changing that a bit. I've bought just one of my current keyboards from Europe and that's from TKC.

Brian8bit

20 Mar 2011, 12:44

I needed a mech keyboard for my mac so got the Matias Tactile Pro 3 from keyboard company. ANSI layout since I couldn't be bothered waiting for the UK version. I can type well on either, but I do prefer the ANSI layout now I've been using it for a while. MTP3 is my first ANSI board. I've put my name in for 2 KBC Poker boards in ANSI as well.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Mar 2011, 12:49

Dark theme lovers make me wonder if they mail mail sites like google.com, cnn.com, news.bbc.co.uk, reddit.com, facebook.com, amazon.com, ebay.com etc. etc., and complain they need a dark theme.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 12:53

fucking arrogant gurus here!

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Mar 2011, 13:19

guru.jpg
guru.jpg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 14746 times

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”