on being a refugee from flamers and jerks

M'er Forever

20 Sep 2013, 00:33

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Compgeke

20 Sep 2013, 00:46

Welcome to Deskthority, although I am going to say now that no one will stop anyone from flaming here.

This place generally has a better attitude though, unlike the other side of the keyboard world at Geekhack...

Parak

20 Sep 2013, 01:19

Clearly thou must try a Model F.

M'er Forever

20 Sep 2013, 01:30

Muirium
µ

20 Sep 2013, 02:26

I prefer the case styling on the Fs, especially the metal underside, but Ms are distinct enough to be equal in my affection, over all. It's the spring buckling that counts.

As for forum comparisons: the really weird thing is that both user bases overlap quite a lot. So the difference in behaviour is difficult to explain. DT is certainly smaller: there are many more GH-only users than DT-only ones like me; I have a GH account but don't post there at all and only use it for occasional PMs and forum access. DT is also definitely more European.

But perhaps it's the differing attitude towards money that's the main thing. Threadcrapping will land you in trouble over there, but is a bit of a sport here. Does something like this ever happen at GH? There's a community spirit here that never fails to land a stinker on a shitty offer. I think the most corrosive thing about GH of all is that the balance between sellers and buyers isn't right. Here, we do everything out in the open. There, judging by some of the requests when the same people try out here, threads are owned by their original poster and can be silenced and closed at will. What a crock.

Anyway, I'm glad both forums exist. GH still has scale on its side and the GBs there can be really appealing, especially when we join forces. The only thing that actually annoys me there is the lost content. GHers and DTers are good people, when it boils down to it. We just seem to have come up with different ways of doing the same thing, even when we often individually overlap! An anthropologist should study this…

M'er Forever

20 Sep 2013, 02:57

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Sep 2013, 10:15

This is a smaller community so I guess easier to handle and less prone to flaming. That being said, jerks are everywhere.

Sorry for the roughness of the representation but the following pretty much sums up the difference between the two users
users.png
users.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 69765 times
(please please please this is just lame humor, don't make an argument out of it :P)

Hope you'll enjoy your staying here.

Ekaros

20 Sep 2013, 10:19

We might troll and flame each other, but it's all in good spirit...

cookie

20 Sep 2013, 10:56

Welcome to DT :D

I enjoy DT way more than GH, one of the main reasons ist that GH moved so many threads and their Wiki is so broken that I can't find verry good and informative stuff anymore.

And DT is actually more mature.

Hypersphere

20 Sep 2013, 15:41

M'er Forever wrote:As a newcomer to DT, I sure hope the atmosphere here is less toxic than I experienced at GH. As a veteran of the electronics industry in Silicon Valley with 27 years of experience in electromechanical design and drafting, I've always been fascinated with truly excellent design and manufacturing of technological products. As far as computer keyboards are concerned, the IBM Model M is by far the only keyboard I really enjoy typing on, and lately I've been collecting and restoring these gems to perfection.

It's been a real shock when as a newbie to online forums I have already seen enough nastiness, ill-intended sarcasm, and downright mean-spirited crap to discourage my participation. Thought I'd give it another try here. I hope my fellow DT'ers will see me for what I am -- an honest and sincere individual with integrity and with nothing but the best of intentions to share whatever I think may be useful and interesting to others of like mind.

If I post something with which you disagree, please refrain from flaming; instead it would be far more beneficial to all DT'ers if you simply state your own opinions and do so without malice. In other words, please be so kind as to say something constructive or don't say anything at all. If you agree with the foregoing, how about a vote of approval?
Welcome to DT. When I joined a few months ago, I used only full-sized IBM Model M keyboards on my three workstations (each workstation has 3 computers, one each running Mac OS X, Linux, and Win7; OS X is my primary OS). The keyboard and mouse are shared using both an Iogear KM and Synergy.

A shoulder injury prompted me to look for a smaller keyboard, so that I could move the mouse closer to the center of my desk. I decided to try a Filco MJ2 TKL with Cherry mx blue switches. It was okay, but not great. In fact, it felt like a toy compared to the Model M.

After rapidly moving through various Cherry mx switch boards and trying a colleague's Matias Mini Tactile Pro, I managed to find a NIB IBM SSK, which became my "daily driver". I like the SSK even better than my Model Ms.

However, I kept hearing about Topre switches, and I am typing this on a Leopold FC660C with 45-gram Topres. I like the typing experience even more than that on the Model M or SSK. However, the IBMs seem sturdier and definitely have superior keycaps. So, the search continues, and I am looking into the HHKB Pro 2 as well as the more conventional Realforce 87u.

One thing I have discovered is a distinct liking for the principle, "less is more". I have become obsessed with the notion of a keyboard in the 60 - 65% range that reproduces the functions of a 80 - 100% keyboard in an efficient and user-friendly way.

However, for those of us who understand why the Model M is "the one true keyboard" -- a venerable and almost impossibly high standard against which everything else is measured -- it is difficult to accept anything else. Nevertheless, I have come to enjoy the FC660C very much, and my quest for small and capable keyboards continues.

7bit

20 Sep 2013, 15:49

Welcome to Deskthority!
:-)

Please read the 2 most important threads first and follow the guidelines:
How to buy crappy switches!
How to buy good key caps for crappy switches!
:o

We expect you to behave well over here and by following these guidelines, you will fulfill our expectations.
:evilgeek:

Ekaros

20 Sep 2013, 16:04

7bit wrote:Welcome to Deskthority!
:-)

Please read the 2 most important threads first and follow the guidelines:
How to buy crappy switches!
How to buy good key caps for crappy switches!
:o

We expect you to behave well over here and by following these guidelines, you will fulfill our expectations.
:evilgeek:
So any plans on when Round 5 will ship, summer 2020? ;D

mintberryminuscrunch

20 Sep 2013, 17:42

we have the design for the DT Shirts
users.png
users.png (19.1 KiB) Viewed 69704 times

M'er Forever

20 Sep 2013, 20:12

Hypersphere

21 Sep 2013, 01:53

M'er Forever wrote: ...
Thanks for the welcome, 7bit...I just checked out the threads you referenced. All I can say is "Sheesh!" Sure glad I'm an M freak not a Cherry switch freak -- no such issues for us M'ers --- no fancy optional switches, and few custom key caps or anything else for that matter. Makes things easy...no stressing out over such matters... :D
So I thought as well, as a long-time user and advocate of IBM Model M keyboards and more recently the IBM SSK. Nevertheless, I caught the keyboard virus, and since then I have been testing other keyboards and switch types. Each time I almost was seduced away, I managed to come back to my IBMs, until most recently when I finally tried Topre switches.

Ultimately, after repeatedly putting aside the urgings of the good folks here at DT to try the HHKB Pro 2, I could resist no longer and ordered one. It arrived today, and I am typing on it now. I must say, I really like it. In case you are interested in my impressions, I have posted a review on DT:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... t6553.html

Of course, as a fellow Model M aficionado, I am confident you will stay the course and remain loyal to The One True Keyboard....

ideus

30 Jun 2015, 05:14

matt3o wrote: This is a smaller community so I guess easier to handle and less prone to flaming. That being said, jerks are everywhere.

Sorry for the roughness of the representation but the following pretty much sums up the difference between the two users
users.png
(please please please this is just lame humor, don't make an argument out of it :P)

Smiling at this.

Belfong

30 Jun 2015, 05:34

matt3o wrote: This is a smaller community so I guess easier to handle and less prone to flaming. That being said, jerks are everywhere.

users.png

disappointed to see the wrong spelling for Click Clacks ... but I digress :P

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jun 2015, 14:29

Belfong wrote:
matt3o wrote: This is a smaller community so I guess easier to handle and less
disappointed to see the wrong spelling for Click Clacks
Click Clack was the title of a song from Captain Beefheart's "Spotlight Kid" album.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

30 Jun 2015, 15:37

fohat wrote:
Belfong wrote:
Click Clack was the title of a song from Captain Beefheart's "Spotlight Kid" album.
it's also mentioned in countless rap songs!

wlhlm
~

30 Jun 2015, 15:40

There's also this children's book with cows and typewriters.

Belfong

30 Jun 2015, 15:48

fohat wrote:
Belfong wrote:
sure sure, except he spelt it Click Claks

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jun 2015, 16:23

Belfong wrote:
sure sure, except he spelt it Click Claks
Not on my original 1972 Reprise pressing.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 20:02

It's been ages since I've listened to Captain Beefheart ... and Zappa. I've got some catching up to do :)

Anyone fan of Butthole Surfers ? Man how hard was for me to get their albums here... and back then there were no torrents.

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 20:08

Yes to Captain Beefheart

Yes to Zappa

Yes to Butthole Surfers

Khers

30 Jun 2015, 21:04

Zappa, yes. Butthole, yes. Never listened to Beefheart though. Maybe in a bit...

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 21:09

You will like Beefheart ;) Also love Tom Waits, damn ,that voice!

Khers

30 Jun 2015, 21:14

Tom Waits is sometimes awesome but sometimes awful. I agree that you just gotta love that voice though!

derzemel

30 Jun 2015, 21:15

oh, wow, I haven't listened to Butthole Surfers since highschool, over 14 years ago. Sudden nostalgia hit :D

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 21:16

Beefheart is the patron saint of punk rock. All the originators cite him in one way or another.

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jun 2015, 23:15

February 1971 underground newspaper clipping.

That's me in the front row with glasses and my mouth open.

We were yelling "More" and he came back out, solo, and whistled the song "More" for an encore.
Attachments
004 Beefheart HCM3 Feb 1971.jpg
004 Beefheart HCM3 Feb 1971.jpg (201.94 KiB) Viewed 68970 times

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”