OMG what's up, it's down?

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2015, 00:20

bhtooefr wrote:
phoenix1234 wrote: I can't believe it those kind of script kiddies are still legit, he even exposed his IP address "172.31.18.149" which is US address.
That's the EC2 instance.

He, however, also exposed his actual IP: cpe-74-139-183-157.kya.res.rr.com

So, someone from Kentucky (Maxmind says Mount Washington, KY, which may not be exact) on Time Warner.
webwit wrote: Actually I think that after the last event it was well known that geekhack had a very strict firewall as part of its infrastructure. So strict that sometimes it had false negatives and members had difficulty getting in. So I wonder what happened there, considering it wasn't a pro DDoS. Maybe more of a fight with their hosting company.
For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble logging into GH, when I occasionally do to follow links. And I browse from mobile so much that right now Maxmind has me hundreds of miles away in Manchester, England. Not up here in Edinburgh, Scotland. IPv4 addresses reek like goats' balls, don'tchyaknow?

Anyway, count me in with the "intrigue with their host" side of this uninformed debate. Someone there has chosen to take a long route to come back online.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 00:21

I think you've met our illustrious firewall.

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2015, 00:24

webwit wrote: I think you've met our illustrious firewall.
Aye, on our IMAP server! Oh noes, clubsec can't check your PayPal receipts because of herpderp! That's security all right…

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 00:41

I blame Apple.

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2015, 00:44

It's working now. Perhaps that's what doomed GH.

andrewjoy

01 Jul 2015, 01:02

Muirium wrote: For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble logging into GH, when I occasionally do to follow links. And I browse from mobile so much that right now Maxmind has me hundreds of miles away in Manchester, England. Not up here in Edinburgh, Scotland. IPv4 addresses reek like goats' balls, don'tchyaknow?

And its only going to get worse with CG-NAT as ISPs are too cheap and lazy to implement IPv6, assholes. Its quite pathetic considering we have known about this for what like 20 years now ?

If they did that it would even limit the needs for local nat behind your router but then people would have to have secure systems and the like and ISPs standard routers/firewalls would have to be not shit.

wlhlm
~

01 Jul 2015, 01:05

How about making Deskthority available via IPv6?

Muirium
µ

01 Jul 2015, 01:16

I like that idea. Of course, our Technical Dictator must agree, and implement it all by himself…

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 01:31

My IPv6 knowledge leaves to be desired. Some volunteer would need to configure stuff.

compuguy

01 Jul 2015, 22:16

webwit wrote: My IPv6 knowledge leaves to be desired. Some volunteer would need to configure stuff.
The easiest way (which is kinda stopgap like) would be to use cloudflare, which can transparently accpet ipv6 requests. Other way is to request an ipv6 address for the servers hosting DT, and add the ipv6 address as a AAAA record to the domain.

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 22:30

We have this IPv6 Subnet (/64):
2a01:4f8:211:11c4:: / 64

So if I want to add IPv6 for "deskthority.net", I add an AAAA record, but what value do I use?

bhtooefr

01 Jul 2015, 22:31

CloudFlare's free tier also includes SSL (between the client and CloudFlare, of course, SSL would have to be implemented at DT's server to get it to be encrypted between CF and DT).

SL89

01 Jul 2015, 22:44

webwit, you were saying https was in the works as well right?

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 22:50

Not before my vacation unless someone else picks it up. It's also not one of my specialties. Although I already briefly tried it with my own certificate, seems to work.

I guess the main thing is which certificate should we buy? I briefly looked into it, there are so many different types and pricing. I don't even. Maybe the community can pick one, there must be people with more expertise. No companies that tragically operate under the Patriot Act (e.g. CloudFlare)! :twisted:

SL89

01 Jul 2015, 23:01

No rush, and def use non america companies if at all possible. Gotta keep the secret keyboard cabal off the lists. :twisted:

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”