Is Geekhack down?

metalliqaz

28 Jun 2015, 16:32

I missed those videos before that f***in panty-stain took them down.
This is very unfortunate. Now they seem to be leaving the site down out of spite. That's not cool. Giving that little brat exactly the attention he wants.

dustinhxc

28 Jun 2015, 16:44

The OP only had 2 posts lol so nevermind. :)

inanis

28 Jun 2015, 16:52

metalliqaz wrote: I missed those videos before that f***in panty-stain took them down.
This is very unfortunate. Now they seem to be leaving the site down out of spite. That's not cool. Giving that little brat exactly the attention he wants.
The site is down by choice. The kid running the DoS script has been long gone. I wish iMav would bring it back up. I don't see what leaving it down is preventing at this point.

I'm glad the kid stopped and admitted his error. It would have been great if he didn't then continue to threaten the site but that is more ego then anything else. It would be better for everyone if we could just go back to normal and move on from this.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jun 2015, 16:56

If DT was down I would feel exactly like you guys do now.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

28 Jun 2015, 18:27

webwit wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: From what I've seen, it was a DDoS but I can't confirm it. It was sent from an Amazon EC2 server.
You don't seem to realize what the first D stands for.

I realize it means distributed, but I thought the skid was controlling a bunch of zombie machines from the EC2 box. If I'm wrong, okay, I don't mind. I didn't put that much research into it.

I started at OCN, went to reddit, then went to GH before coming here. I hope I didn't ruin these forums for everyone. :(

P.S. I wonder if they are leaving GH down in order to get an investigation done considering DoS/DDoS is a felony.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

28 Jun 2015, 19:09

I must admit I miss GH :( As Mu said, GH is an important part of the keyboard world. I hope the admins will bring it back soon. With all the nice projects, cool photos (some users there can take some shots !!), crazy rare and silly expensive boards and most important the people, I miss it even if I feel at home on DT.

pwnnarwhal

28 Jun 2015, 19:50

I think one thing some people noticed, I know I have, is how much time I actually spent on GH. All the other forums combined don't seem to have the amount of content & discussion that it has, but it has made me spend more time on here.

derzemel

28 Jun 2015, 19:54

Yeah, I really miss the place too, especially now when I need to find some info about a Leeku 1800 build

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jun 2015, 20:01

I only briefly visited GH before discovering DT. I don't know why but I never went back to GH. DT all the way. :D

Sed8op8

28 Jun 2015, 20:35

Hey all unfortunately I am not up to date on all the DT/GH/R-MK info and who dislikes who or whatnot. I just like keyboards.... I wouldn't care if the forum was called "our members are lepers" or "acyclovir action heroes" if it had Info on keyboards/keyboard related tech and an active informed community I would want to be a part of it. Unfortunately (for me) I haven't spent much time here on DT but I check the wiki out all the time.

pwnnarwhal

28 Jun 2015, 20:42

derzemel wrote: Yeah, I really miss the place too, especially now when I need to find some info about a Leeku 1800 build
What do you need help with? I am building one right now, well, for the last month, as I have run out of 55g springs and am waiting to order more until I need more than just a set of springs. The only thing I can't help with is remapping as there was a thread with the downloads, but it was only on GH...

derzemel

28 Jun 2015, 20:57

pwnnarwhal wrote: The only thing I can't help with is remapping as there was a thread with the downloads, but it was only on GH...
Guess what information I need most? :lol: I was looking for build images too, like how to use the dolch LED extender (or whatever is called). Also I was curious on what are the FN controls and the LED modes, etc... so, yeah... everything :lol:

metalliqaz

28 Jun 2015, 21:08

Yeah I have a pile of content posted over there that I haven't backed up. The longer they keep it offline the more nervous I will get.

SL89

28 Jun 2015, 21:33

Hasn't this happened before? But if this is a controlled outage, then I doubt anything was lost.

pwnnarwhal

28 Jun 2015, 21:38

derzemel wrote:
pwnnarwhal wrote: The only thing I can't help with is remapping as there was a thread with the downloads, but it was only on GH...
Guess what information I need most? :lol: I was looking for build images too, like how to use the dolch LED extender (or whatever is called). Also I was curious on what are the FN controls and the LED modes, etc... so, yeah... everything :lol:
I actually have a 3000, but if you post pictures of the LED extender I was talking to someone about it previously. The LED controls are Pause/Break and Escape to change modes

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2015, 22:27

This thread should have more pictures of novelty keycaps so the refugees feel a little better in these hard times.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 22:32

SL89 wrote: Hasn't this happened before? But if this is a controlled outage, then I doubt anything was lost.
Once upon a time, there was rootworm. That destroyed a huge amount of (or all?) GH's oldest content. I wasn't around when it struck. But the various threads I checked on GH sometime in the aftermath couldn't help give me the willies. "This place isn't competently backed up." I'm nervous about things being lost to the void like that.

DT's backup system is pretty damn solid. And Webwit's more competent at running things technically than I understand well enough to criticise. Good signs. I think it was the style, the community size, and the feel of DT that won when I considered whether to join GH or DT a few years ago. The fact we've proven quite solid here helps reassure me of that choice.

metalliqaz

28 Jun 2015, 22:38

Why do you have to pick just one?

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 22:48

Completionist. GH is too busy for me to keep on top of. DT feels like a nice little community, which it is. GH is more like several, with lots of annoying habits throughout, and a bunch of priveleges and attitudes to make it fairly toxic. To little old me, at any rate.

I'll follow links to GH about projects that people pass to me. And I don't actively dislike the place. I just like DT a lot more.

baldgye

28 Jun 2015, 22:54

Muirium wrote: Completionist. GH is too busy for me to keep on top of. DT feels like a nice little community, which it is. GH is more like several, with lots of annoying habits throughout, and a bunch of priveleges and attitudes to make it fairly toxic. To little old me, at any rate.

I'll follow links to GH about projects that people pass to me. And I don't actively dislike the place. I just like DT a lot more.

idk I've gotten a lot more abuse on DT than I ever have on Geekhack... well bar that one time two users wanted bigger avy's and I asked why haha

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2015, 23:02

That's because we're the Black Widowers, except that women are more than welcome.

jacobolus

28 Jun 2015, 23:05

metalliqaz wrote: Why do you have to pick just one?
Because Muirium is responsible for 7% of all posts on Deskthority (in other words, out of every page of comments on Deskthority, 2 of the comments are by Muirium), and Geekhack is an order of magnitude bigger, so it would be impossible for him to keep up that level of engagement with all of it.

Deskthority is a forum small enough and sleepy enough that if you commit your life to it, you can read every single post. Geekhack is too big for that.

(Geekhack: 1,500,000 total posts in 60,000 topics. Deskthority: 240,000 posts in 11,000 topics.)
Last edited by jacobolus on 28 Jun 2015, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.

Halvar

28 Jun 2015, 23:06

webwit wrote: This thread should have more pictures of novelty keycaps so the refugees feel a little better in these hard times.
Good thing that Dustin posted in this thread.

scottc

28 Jun 2015, 23:08

Commit your life to it? That's a wild exaggeration at best. I check the forum spy something like every 2-4 hours during work, when I take my coffee/water breaks and I can almost always see everything since my last visit.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Jun 2015, 23:14

Funnily reddit is more like digg 2010, and gh is now more like reddit, while deskthority is more like gh 2010.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2015, 23:17

I haven't a specific goal in mind re: DT domination. It's just a very easy place to hang out online. I never found Twitter to be anything like as useful, or responsive. I don't like to just mutter quietly at unlistening walls. Real life has that covered already!

fohat
Elder Messenger

29 Jun 2015, 00:00

I have a couple of lengthy things on GH that I should probably re-build here, anyway, but for archival purposes as well, the F-122 ANSI Mod and ebay Selling and Buying Advice come to mind right away.

Since I have never put anything of any real size here, is it recommended to do it as a conventional post, or in some other method? The 122 mod has perhaps 3 dozen pictures of a few hundred K each.

scottc

29 Jun 2015, 00:02

I'd say to put it in the "Workshop" section, just as a normal post.

metalliqaz

29 Jun 2015, 00:03

DT also has a wiki.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

29 Jun 2015, 00:38

pyrelink wrote: I came from Reddit simply because it was the first link that I found on Google when searching for a way to identify a few old keyboards that I had found. I stuck around for about a year or so and close to dropped interest in the hobby as all I wanted was to learn and uncover vintage keyboards, and all I could see at GH was money and drama, and Reddit was for showing off, and bad at retaining significant discussion. I only wound up visiting DT as a last resort after I reread a PM conversation I had with Haata on Reddit, about the first keyboard I posted. Sure glad I did.
These are the exact reasons why I hang out on Deskthority, less bling more history.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”