Pingmaster Name Change

headphone_jack

03 Jun 2021, 17:20

Ok, so we all know about the famous Pingmaster, known for the pinging noise that the SKCC green switches produce. But why is it even called the Pingmaster? It is neither the pingiest keyboard I've ever heard nor even the pingiest SKCC board I've heard. That honor goes to the Apple M0110A, which reverberates like bells on every keypress. So then, what does the "Pingmaster" have that other keyboards don't, that can be made into a more fitting name?
BEEP.
That's right, the insane beeper on the newly-named Beepmaster is something I don't think any other keyboard has even come close to. The sheer volume of this thing outweighs even the heaviest duty solenoids. It even goes toe to toe with my Selectric in terms of noise! How people decided the ping (which, by the way, gets completely covered up by the beeper at full volume) was the most notable thing about this board is a mystery to me. I assume it's because the keyboards were impossible to convert when first discovered, and the beepers couldn't be quite as appreciated as they are now. Am I the only one that thinks it's time for a name change?
Spoiler:
This post is definitely not supposed to be taken seriously. Although I do love the name Beepmaster!
Last edited by headphone_jack on 03 Jun 2021, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

kelvinhall05

03 Jun 2021, 17:22

While we are changing names I also suggest we rename the Focus 9000 (specifically mine with Matias quiet linear, a solenoid, and a new calculator module of my design) "Endgame" on the wiki.

raoulduke-esq

03 Jun 2021, 17:49

Boopmaster? It's more of a BOOP than a BEEP.

I've been calling my M0110 the Apple Pingmaster but thockmaster is also an apt description...

Go-Kart

07 Jul 2021, 18:33

I'd wager there'd be too many contenders for the title of thockmaster. The Topre kids would try and crown a HHKB Type-S; Chyros would whip out his Custom Apple IIc; lispnick would breakout those Polyurethane caps of his ...it'd be a bloodbath.

TheNeonKnight

15 Oct 2021, 20:49

Boopmaster for sure

xxhellfirexx

16 Oct 2021, 02:35

How does the beeper volume compare to the one in Zenith keyboards?

raoulduke-esq

16 Oct 2021, 03:00

There is a volume control. At top volume the boops are MUCH louder than the whimpy chirps of a Zenith.

sharktastica

16 Oct 2021, 14:14

Okay, I'm going to rename it to "Sphyrnidae" on my website, SEO the hell out of it so it's at the top of all results when googled, and the matter shall be settled.

headphone_jack

17 Oct 2021, 05:27

I think I'm going to change the title on the wiki just for funsies. Or at least add it as an alternate nickname!

soyuz

18 Oct 2021, 01:33

whoever reverted that edit is a total shill. the damn board barely even pings

kelvinhall05

18 Oct 2021, 01:51

soyuz wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 01:33
whoever reverted that edit is a total shill. the damn board barely even pings
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16463

balls

18 Oct 2021, 03:06

dogwater name i have never heard a single person call it a boopmaster

Findecanor

18 Oct 2021, 03:27

I'm not amused that I had to spend half an hour on this shit in the middle of the night.

If you have opinions on things in the Wiki, then the responsible way of action would be to post them here, discuss them and then perhaps, do a change, once there is some semblance of consensus.

And no effing edit wars from sock puppets, please! (a behaviour which would have got you permabanned on most other forums)

raoulduke-esq

18 Oct 2021, 04:12

balls wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 03:06
dogwater name i have never heard a single person call it a boopmaster
scroll up m8

Socky

18 Oct 2021, 04:47

Findecanor wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 03:27
I'm not amused that I had to spend half an hour on this shit in the middle of the night.

If you have opinions on things in the Wiki, then the responsible way of action would be to post them here, discuss them and then perhaps, do a change, once there is some semblance of consensus.

And no effing edit wars from sock puppets, please! (a behaviour which would have got you permabanned on most other forums)
You look like you could use a HAND with this wiki moderation. Let me take care of that for ya. 8-)

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2021, 11:11

For what it's worth, though it may be a whimsical name and maybe even an apt one, I reckon the wiki's job is to describe reality rather than campaign to change it. It's the Pingmaster till people actually stop calling it that.

Half-Saint

20 Oct 2021, 07:54

Is this some kind of early April 1st joke? :D

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2021, 11:16

They’re just ripping the Pishsaver. ;)

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 04:40

I mean there's plenty of things that were named incorrectly, just look at Australia. It was named that because they thought at the time it was the farthest south landmass, and then they found Antarctica and were like "Shit"

Findecanor

12 Mar 2022, 13:27

James Cook had already spotted a piece of Antarctica and named it correctly, but people didn't believe him.

And then there's New Zealand, which the Dutch explorers had named after Zeeland in the Netherlands, not after Zealand in Denmark. The country's name is spelled correctly in every language but in the language that its inhabitants use.

Muirium
µ

12 Mar 2022, 15:15

Tasmania though. That's a good name!

CaesarAZealad

12 Mar 2022, 16:13

Muirium wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 15:15
Tasmania though. That's a good name!
All in favor of renaming the pingmaster to "Tasmania" say aye!

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”