Guide/videoguide for opening kailh switches ?

rio9210

01 Apr 2015, 09:55

Is there any guide (article or video) with instructions for opening kailh switches ? Recently bought a Truly Ergonomic (TEK) that recently switched (it's not a joke...) from Cherry MX to Kailh.
The kailh switch is different from the cherry one, it doesn't have the four holes in the angle. I already have a Compaq MX 11800 and opening the switches it's a joke, however, the kailh looks more "closed" in the top part of the switch.
Any suggestion ?

HzFaq

01 Apr 2015, 10:21

It looks like the TEK is plate mounted so that would rule out opening switches without desoldering them right away.

As for the actual Kailh switches, it doesn't look like you can open them from the top just looking at the pictures on that page, but I couldn't say for sure as I don't own any.

I'd imagine you would have to desolder the switches and open them from the bottom if you wanted to mod them.

rio9210

02 Apr 2015, 11:43

It would be ridiculous that those who have copied the Cherry MX, did everything to prevent that their switches get opened and copied.
WTF ,I gave you more than 200 bucks for a keyboard, I HAVE THE RIGHT to modify it the way I want.

wlhlm
~

02 Apr 2015, 12:41

I've used a knife (read: thin sheet of metal/plastic) to open up some Kailh switches. Stick it between the top housing clip and the bottom of the switch and try to lever the clip up using the knife blade. I only did this to a handful of switches, don't how it is for a complete keyboard.
Knife and switch
Knife and switch
o3zZz2P.jpg (155.06 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
Put knife blade between clip and switch bottom
Put knife blade between clip and switch bottom
M0nfyrt.jpg (164.94 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
Lever up the clip
Lever up the clip
EksDgD4.jpg (110.47 KiB) Viewed 5925 times

rio9210

03 Apr 2015, 15:28

Yes, the Truly Ergonomic has plate mounted switches.
My thanks to WLHLM, now I understand how kailh switches can be opened.

Conclusion: the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard is kinda CLOSED BOX. So any kind of modding involves desoldering the switches. I deduce that even when this shitty kailh switches are pcb mounted, modding/opening them is quite impossible without desoldering.
BTW, the kailh typing feeling is LESS than Cherry's MX one, so...in this moment I'm maliciously thinking "God, chinese copiers got jealous about their mediocrity and sealed it..."

AVOID KAILH SWITCHES.
my two cents.

wlhlm
~

03 Apr 2015, 15:45

Yeah, the Kailh Browns feel almost linear to me.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”