Proof Sejin SKM-1040 & Futaba clicky switch have no the linear variant

terrycherry

19 Oct 2015, 10:37

Since I collected lots of detail of 18 different keyboard with Futaba clicky switch a few month, there's no one was linear.
And I received the Sejin SKM-1040(white case) today, I can tell you there's no linear variant about that switch.

The page said that"...Canadian distributor ErgoCanada noted that these keyboards use "non-tactile mechanical keyswitches", indicating that these are the rare linear version of the clearly misnamed Futaba "clicky" switch..."
reference page: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Sejin_Electron_SKM-1040

1. The "ErgoCanada.com" shop master might be professional in selecting the Ergonomic keyboard but isn't the professional man of mechanical keyboard switch. At least he didn't say the switch is tactile, clicky or linear,just said "non-tactile mechanical keyswitches", here's you can consider that man was.
from http://www.ergocanada.com/index_april_2004.html

2. The "ErgoCanada.com" shop master said he has beige and black version of this model. We don't say the yellowed ABS keyboard with "Begie"(you can see his keyboard is white), but the folk would said that beige. Actually this model released white and black version only.

3. The "ErgoCanada.com" shop master didn't say that keyboard was brand new,it might be the heavy used keyboard.
As I see some of Futaba clicky switche have a very small clicky or just tactile on my one of keyboard.
My used Sejin SKM-1040 keyboard also have the same problem like that. Every owners knew that switch could get some issue easily. I guess the "ErgoCanada.com" SKM-1040 keyboard were broken, so it seems not like tactile and more like linear or little tactile.(you should know that broken clicky pressed like linear or tactile)

4. My Sejin SKM-1040 keyboard also have linear on F1 & Esc, but it seems like a damage or someone took out the metal leaf with that broken plastic melted pins on switch shell.
Seee photo, you"ll know that.
bb.jpg
bb.jpg (454.92 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
For more details about my keyboard. I"ll do the full review and two videos to proof for yours later. I haven't time to do it a few weeks.
i.jpg
i.jpg (118.79 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Last edited by terrycherry on 04 Nov 2015, 07:38, edited 5 times in total.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Oct 2015, 13:31

Interesting assertion. Looking forward to the additional evidence :)
Have you e-mailed him about this?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Oct 2015, 13:45

Good point terrycherry but we still cannot verify the variants of the Sejin SKM-1040 & Futaba clicky switches. I am also generally quite careful about these assertions. That's one big issue with a wiki like ours that details old and in many cases obscure hardware. Looking at ErgoCanada's "about us" page doesent convince me they might be experts on Sejin SKM-1040 & Futaba clicky but they might have someone there that has knowledge. We could contact them about this but I bet they would not have an answer.

Topre Enthusiast

19 Oct 2015, 13:53

I e-mailed them just now. Let's see what they say. If they are insisting that they are linear, I'll try get hold of one myself.

terrycherry

19 Oct 2015, 14:37

002 wrote: I e-mailed them just now. Let's see what they say. If they are insisting that they are linear, I'll try get hold of one myself.
Great actions. I don't think they will reply you. Instead of you said that have an interest to buy the keyboard, they would be.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Oct 2015, 07:46

They replied but it was only to tell me they don't sell that particular Sejin keyboard any more :)
They did not attempt to answer my question about the switches and I'm not sure if that's because they don't have any laying around to test, or they just couldn't be bothered.
Thank you for your inquiry, unfortunately we do not carry the keyboard you are pertaining to. Please visit the link displaying the following Sejin America, Inc Products we currently carry http://www.ergocanada.com/ec_home/manuf ... ica_1.html.

terrycherry

20 Oct 2015, 16:16

Maybe you should try to get the black one=]

terrycherry

20 Oct 2015, 16:35

002: I got the evidence to proof "ErgoCanada.com" left-hand keyboard wasn't mechanical. That's the newer membrane keyboard only! Please take a look under the function keys area from following pictures.
"ErgoCanada.com"' left-hand keyboard:

The Germany pdf said it's membrane:
Snap6.jpg
Snap6.jpg (262.03 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
source: http://img.gebe.net/wtc3/download/skm-1040-linksh.pdf

The membrane keyboard model actually called "Sejin EAT1040". The facts is the "ErgoCanada.com"' didn't say the brand and model name for the left-hand keyboard.
source: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/keyboards/4358072/

Why "ErgoCanada.com" said it's mechanical? Because he saw the "SE·JIN Futaba dome" slider looked like mechanical!!
Last edited by terrycherry on 20 Oct 2015, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

20 Oct 2015, 16:39

002 wrote: They replied but it was only to tell me they don't sell that particular Sejin keyboard any more :)
They did not attempt to answer my question about the switches and I'm not sure if that's because they don't have any laying around to test, or they just couldn't be bothered.
Thank you for your inquiry, unfortunately we do not carry the keyboard you are pertaining to. Please visit the link displaying the following Sejin America, Inc Products we currently carry http://www.ergocanada.com/ec_home/manuf ... ica_1.html.
Just like I thought. No answer.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 17:12

A lot of people in these companies really don't give a shit. They're used to customers asking about the keyboard's colour, or whether it is "Qwerty" and will work with Windows XP. So long as it looks older than Apple's metal chiclet boards, it is most definitely "mechanical". As in: old fashioned, shitty, who would want that?, have you felt how heavy these are?, it's like more than a phone!

Topre Enthusiast

03 Nov 2015, 22:55

ErgoCanada dropped me an e-mail this morning with a much more detailed reply:
Hi 002,

This was in the press release we received from Sejin when they discontinued the line...which refers to it as a linear keyswitch.

Due to the continuous increase in oil prices, we have experienced a steady cost increase during the last 8 months for the various types of resins and raw materials we purchase. Until now, Sejin has absorbed this cost but we are at a point where we feel that we have to take an alternate path. After a thorough analysis, Sejin has concluded that the time and setup cost to manufacture mechanical non-tactile switches and their associated products do not justify our current sales volume. As a result, Sejin will be discontinuing all key-switches and key-switch related products. Please acknowledge this as Sejin’s official end-of-life notice for the following left-handed keyboards:

1) EAT-1040PSBL
2) EAT-1040PS
3) SKM-2040PSPL
4) SKM-2040PS
Just to clarify, it was the PS/2 model that we were referring to, the SKM1040PS, we have no experience with the SKM1040.

http://www.ergocanada.com/products/keyb ... 040ps.html

As to whether or not 'Non-Tactile' is linear (i.e. a Cherry Black or Red style) or light tactile (Cherry Brown/Topre), or audible tactile (Cherry Blue/Matias Tactile), we can't say as we haven't had stock on this product for over 10 years.

In addition, Sejin only described this series as 'Beige' or 'Black'. They did not characterized their product as 'White' as seen from this screen capture from their catalog:
cap.png
cap.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
We simply used the terminology that the manufacturer advised us to in describing the product.

All the products we purchased from Sejin were new and sold as new, we had no customers who complained about receiving a 'used' or 'worn' out product.

I would appreciate if you can share with your community our response as we take pride in providing accurate information on our web site.

Thanks for your email!

seebart

03 Nov 2015, 23:38

Hmm well I'm impressed. They actually took their time and give us a good answer.

terrycherry

04 Nov 2015, 07:50

Wow, surprised me .Did they see my post before giving the answer in details??

I can't find any info whether EAT-1040PS and EAT-1040PSBL are dome with slider or not.
Yes, they said that is linear finally. But I still have few questions and don't think they purchased the real mechanical keyboard with futaba switch, it could be the "SE·JIN Futaba dome"!
1. They said it's mechanical. It can say as "with mechanical feeling" keyboard as we always know that on some seller or user.
2. They didn't show us the switch of "linear version" EAT-1040 keyboard.
3. Much more people will say mechanical when they saw the "SE·JIN Futaba dome" switch as I took the picture on #7 replied post.

Topre Enthusiast

04 Nov 2015, 09:49

1. Yes, they (Sejin) said that. ErgoCanada points out that they haven't sold the keyboard in 10 years and when they were selling it, they advertised it using information provided by Sejin.
2. No, and I doubt they can because they don't have them any more. It's now up to us :)
3. This is where we start getting into semantics about what is considered to be a "mechanical" switch and what is not. It's a boring and tired discussion in my opinion. It's much better to describe the components of the switch itself and try not to get hung up on whether someone is right or wrong about referring to a switch as mechanical.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”