The Wiki Edit Wars

ohaimark
Kingpin

08 Feb 2016, 19:05

TL;DR background: Ander edited a page that seebart wrote. seebart didn't like the edits. seebart reverted the page. I edited seebart's page, but sent the suggested edits to seebart instead of directly placing them on the wiki (seebart implemented the edits). Ultimately, a few page creators asked for a message before their page is edited. matt3o gave a poignant reply...

I'm on board with matt3o.

"First. Asking permission to edit any kind of content is against the very spirit of the wiki. Content pride is despicable.

Secondly. No content is lost in the wiki. All revisions are stored and saved. If any author thinks that some important bits went loss he can integrate them back or even revert to a previous version. When this kind of issues come up it is better to discuss the matter in the appropriate section ( wiki-talk-f33/ ) of the forum.

Thirdly. Removing information must never happen. You can integrate or correct, but removing information is despicable as content pride."

seebart & other message desiring contributors -- if you don't like edits just revert them and/or fix them. You can also contact other contributors to work out snags.

I already offered to provide Ander with an example of seebart-approved editing, so I think we can lay this to rest.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Feb 2016, 19:07

matt3o wrote:
generally speaking I agree that when a substantial change to a page is required, a discussion should be opened and the original author contacted.
Alright this pretty much sums it up, it's good to know that the wiki backlog is saved, that way there is no real danger. Ander has not responded I hope I did not offend him in any way. I will work on my spelling and grammar and not freak out when my pages are edited! ;)

Cheers guys.

I don't like the title of this thread BTW ohaimark! Makes it sound like a very personal issue which it is not.

- Written in awful grammar, and worse sentence structure! :mrgreen:

Added bonus:
Spoiler:
106973b54e5a84f09a04a0aa2113052af4b7af31b7f43ce1905a04183303e5fd.jpg
106973b54e5a84f09a04a0aa2113052af4b7af31b7f43ce1905a04183303e5fd.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

ohaimark
Kingpin

08 Feb 2016, 19:16

seebart wrote: I don't like the title of this thread BTW ohaimark! Makes it sound like a very personal issue which it is not.

- Written in awful grammar, and worse sentence structure! :mrgreen:
Heh. Sorry about the title. I didn't really consider the fact that it made things sound confrontational -- that's just how I mentally titled the conversation.

Also, for those of you who weren't in on the PM mega-topic, I was sassing seebart about his writing.

I don't think I'll ever hear the end of it. :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Feb 2016, 19:38

nobody likes to see his/her hard work go to the waste, but consider this: your work never goes wasted in the wiki. It's a constant work in progress and revision over revision the information becomes more precise and accurate. You are doing it for posterity not for yourself.

additions and grammar fixes should flow without limitation of sort. Of course when a huge chunk of a page needs to be removed/changed/replaced I feel it is good to open a discussion, unless the original content is blatantly wrong.

anyway, as I said, nothing is lost in the wiki. so no harm has been done.

Muirium
µ

08 Feb 2016, 23:12

seebart wrote: I don't like the title of this thread BTW ohaimark! Makes it sound like a very personal issue which it is not.
Fixed that for you. I didn't like it either. Had to read a bunch of PMs just to understand it.

Wikis are strange things. Every prole has the same rights to edit things that only fancy pants mods with feathers in our caps, like me, have over other people's posts on the forum. Everyone is powerful. For good and for bad.

Tread wisely, editors! And discuss with the original creator before you go peeing in the punchbowl.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”