GeekHack Wikia

pbtforever

09 Feb 2016, 23:59

Looks like "competition".
The community here at GeekHack is so outrageously different from Deskthority and is not an adequate resource for our community members. In fact, it is the community that Deskthority has failed to realize with their wiki. It is entirely isolated from the community it is associated with, but that is wrong. The wiki should be tied to the forum almost as though the two are one and the same.
http://geekhack.wikia.com/wiki/GeekHack_Wikia

Engicoder

10 Feb 2016, 00:09

Looks like some individual's project and not a Geekhack sponsored effort.
Last edited by Engicoder on 10 Feb 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Feb 2016, 00:09

Just what we need, more community fragmentation. Why can't we all just get along?

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 00:13

Deskthority has better mugs.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2016, 00:14

webwit wrote: Deskthority has better mugs.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Feb 2016, 00:19

Pfff no competition there for us...I see clacks on the front page already! :lol: Perfect. Should be called clackikia. :mrgreen:

scottc

10 Feb 2016, 00:22

At least if it's not self-hosted then they're not the ones responsible for security and backups..?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2016, 00:28

I don't even know who FrostyToast is. I at least know who Steezus is, assuming it's the same person. I'm guessing it might have something to do with this thread I was involved in though...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.700

Matt_

10 Feb 2016, 00:28

Will it include entries for abstruse gifs and memes?

More seriously, was there not already a GH wiki at some point? What happened to it?
Last edited by Matt_ on 10 Feb 2016, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

10 Feb 2016, 00:29

Well they got some work cut out for them depending on what their goals are: 0 keyboards sofar.
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (62.28 KiB) Viewed 8463 times

Engicoder

10 Feb 2016, 00:38

I suppose a wiki for all the new/custom stuff makes sense...the wiki here is definitely more of a historical one

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 00:40

Nah that would be just a silly reason. Like, Subject X doesn't exist, so let's create a new wiki. No, Add it to the wiki!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2016, 00:41

Engicoder wrote: I suppose a wiki for all the new/custom stuff makes sense...the wiki here is definitely more of a historical one
I think it's more because people here enjoy older stuff more instead of newer boards. I wouldn't mind adding modern information but I barely have time to add what I already have prepared.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 02:01

That is a highly emotional argument stemming from the desire to be "different."

The fact that GH members seem to be disinterested in something that could bring communities closer together is silly.

There are sub-zero reasons why a combined wiki wouldn't serve the needs of both communities.

10 Feb 2016, 02:12

Matt_ wrote: Will it include entries for abstruse gifs and memes?

More seriously, was there not already a GH wiki at some point? What happened to it?
From memory it got wiped out along with most of the forums back when he who shall not be named planted a worm or something.

I spend time on both forums, among many others. Each has its own quirks - I try not to worry about nuances too much. Say my piece, make a small contribution, buy some cool stuff and move along.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 02:21

That doesn't sound like loyalty and commitment to the cause to me, 34. :twisted:

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 02:34

Just posted this in GH's Post-Wiki Workshop. I'm bracing for the shitstorm that will come from not keeping my mouth shut. If you have any other points or issues with my presentation of the situation, let me know. I'll edit my post over there.

"I'm a contributor over at the DT wiki and I'd like to extend my opinion.

I think you should scratch the rebuild project and move over to the DT wiki unless you plan on writing exclusively about artisan caps and modern keyboard developments unique to GH and Reddit. Let me explain why... (And I think I speak for DT as a whole, though dual members are welcome to correct me.)

1) You are welcome at DT. We don't expect you to participate in the forums. We don't care about the traffic on our wiki. We simply want to work with you to create the best possible resource for keyboard enthusiasts everywhere. Hell, you might even educate *us* in the process. We know, relative to you, little about custom caps and other new developments that have taken the market by storm. Someday what you're doing will be keyboard history, and I think that's valuable.

2) Using the DT wiki would serve the entire keyboard community by bringing people together. I, for one, don't like the tension and lack of cooperation that seems to be the status quo. A team project could be a step in the right direction.

3) The DT wiki is already there. There will inevitably be some repeated pages if you continue this project. There already are, though you only have 4 pages (see "Cherry"). It would also solidify the knowledge base in one location, which would be convenient in terms of searches.

4) There is no logical reason why the DT wiki cannot meet the needs of both our communities. That argument is massively, completely, and utterly invalid. Does Wikipedia meet the needs of worldwide communities ranging from academics to garbage men? Absolutely. Why can't the DT wiki do the same?

Frankly... I'd like to see some of the lively "maker" spirit at GH documented in the DT wiki.

Thank you for considering my opinion. If you still believe that making your own wiki is best, kudos and best of luck."

jacobolus

10 Feb 2016, 02:42

It’s stupid to host a wiki at wikia.

But I also think it makes sense to have a geekhack wiki, if it can be protected from destruction, and if someone is willing to do the work to set it up and maintain it.

The Deskthority wiki has a particular tone/style (roughly like Wikipedia but not quite as strict) and set of topics it covers, and there are a lot of keyboard-related topics that don’t really fit in. For example: advice, review summaries, DIY project materials and templates, keyboard/switch modifications, collected vendor links, ..... Deskthority wiki is geared more toward providing a catalog for collectors of unmodified antique stuff, plus various general factual background information. And I don’t think it’s worth it to try to change that; Deskthority wiki is great for what it is.

There’s a lot of great information that gets buried in forum conversations that it would be worthwhile to collect somewhere that people can more easily build on it, and currently it all just sits in dead “threads” which few people ever bother to search or update, so a lot of the same conversations happen over and over again and the only place to point someone is a site specific google search.
Last edited by jacobolus on 10 Feb 2016, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_

10 Feb 2016, 02:45

0100010 wrote:
Matt_ wrote: Will it include entries for abstruse gifs and memes?

From memory it got wiped out along with most of the forums back when he who shall not be named planted a worm or something.
I remember reading interesting (technical) tutorials there not so long ago, so I thought they had somewhat started to rebuild it.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 02:58

jacobolus wrote: It’s stupid to host a wiki at wikia.

But I also think it makes sense to have a geekhack wiki, if it can be protected from destruction, and if someone is willing to do the work to set it up and maintain it.

The Deskthority wiki has a particular tone/style (roughly like Wikipedia but not quite as strict) and set of topics it covers, and there are a lot of keyboard-related topics that don’t really fit in. For example: advice, review summaries, DIY project materials and templates, keyboard/switch modifications, collected vendor links, ..... Deskthority wiki is geared more toward providing a catalog for collectors of unmodified antique stuff, plus various general factual background information. And I don’t think it’s worth it to try to change that; Deskthority wiki is great for what it is.

There’s a lot of great information that gets buried in forum conversations that it would be worthwhile to collect somewhere that people can more easily build on it, and currently it all just sits in dead “threads” which few people ever bother to search or update, so a lot of the same conversations happen over and over again and the only place to point someone is a site specific google search.
Why not have it all in one place, though? Sure, the writing styles and whatnot may differ a bit. But the value of a combined effort is great.

I was quite serious when I said that what the GHers are doing will be keyboard history someday. If we can get a head start on documenting what will be vintage in 20 years, why shouldn't we? Our community could keep chugging along on what's vintage right now while building a positive ecosystem of contributors for the future.

jacobolus

10 Feb 2016, 03:17

ohaimark wrote: Why not have it all in one place, though?
Adding entirely new kinds of stuff to the Deskthority wiki is a big project: it wouldn’t fit in the organization scheme, it would require redoing the front page, nobody would go looking for it there until the broader community was made aware of it, some existing Deskthority wiki editors would be upset about unrelated topics and less authoritative style, etc. All in all, it would take an incredible amount of work, and nobody has the energy or patience for it.

If there’s stuff you think should be added though, go for it.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 03:40

I'm not involved enough with the artisan community to contribute anything, unfortunately. Maybe I'd be willing to do the research and fieldwork to start in that direction if major wiki contributors are willing to work with me.

I don't give a rat's ass about conventions of contributors or updating the wiki structure. Wikis are meant to be living documents -- and look at our statement of purpose for christ's sake.

"The Deskthority wiki is dedicated to mechanical keyboards, mice and other human interface devices. The main focus is everything regarding quality (mechanical) keyboards." <---------------------- emphasis

If we only want to document certain things (vintage boards), ignoring artisan caps and kustoms, we should change our mission statement.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Feb 2016, 13:33

jacobolus wrote: Adding entirely new kinds of stuff to the Deskthority wiki is a big project: it wouldn’t fit in the organization scheme, it would require redoing the front page, nobody would go looking for it there until the broader community was made aware of it, some existing Deskthority wiki editors would be upset about unrelated topics and less authoritative style, etc. All in all, it would take an incredible amount of work, and nobody has the energy or patience for it.
Sounds dramatic. One makes a new category. It has been done before.
dtwikiold.png
dtwikiold.png (119.25 KiB) Viewed 8327 times

andrewjoy

10 Feb 2016, 13:37

Fragmentation FTW!

One wiki would be best , all the info in one place.

Muirium
µ

10 Feb 2016, 13:46

Yeah… like Wikipedia!

Wikia is a pain in the arse at the best of times. Whenever I go there for some link or another (Wookiepedia…) the ad-heavy truth of everything hosted on Wikia makes me cringe. I understand it for communities based around fiction, but it's no place to be for stuff that could just as well be in Wikipedia itself.

Not that I'm a true believer in Wikipedia either. Their edit wars are the stuff of hissy fitting 14 year old legend. But at least Wikipedia is the One True Wiki, if you're starting out from scratch all over again…

Halvar

10 Feb 2016, 14:38

I hope and expect this Wikia wiki to be a short-lived attempt. To me, it makes no sense at all to start yet another wiki (ripster also has one on reddit), but as I understand it, this seems to be more about "we need our OWN wiki!!!!!111" than about making a meaningful contribution in the long run.
FrostyToast wrote: Do we get stars for being official unofficial Wiki moderators?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44 ... msg2048319

Matt_

10 Feb 2016, 15:19

Yeah, they seem to put an emphasis on "our own thing, our own way". That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I can't see why info on custom projects (GH60, JD40/45...), custom keysets and such would be out of place on the DT wiki either.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Feb 2016, 17:14

A few of the people over there have replied with sensible answers instead of mindless memes or statements that one wiki = monoculture = bad bad bad = lack of fr33dom and choice.

I imagine that my post will draw the sensible folks over here, or at least encourage their wiki to avoid rehashing information that we have.

I'm going to start a personal crusade to get some content on artisan caps into our wiki -- I don't even like the damn things much. Must be my newspaper editing experience telling me there's value to the information.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Feb 2016, 17:28

I have a Warmaster I could add... Lol

seebart

10 Feb 2016, 17:31

Blaise170 wrote: I have a Warmaster I could add... Lol
I have mindless memes I could add... :lol:

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”