10%
Green
21%
other (specify)
7%

Total votes: 29

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 09:53

I propose renaming SKCM Green to SKCM Neon Green. It reflects the colour better, draws more attention to the alternative, and avoids the common confusion with SKCL Green. Who's with me? :)
Last edited by Chyros on 07 Mar 2016, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.

derzemel

02 Mar 2016, 10:13

Chyros wrote: I propose renaming SKCM Green to SKCM Neon Green. It reflects the colour better, draws more attention to the alternative, and avoids the common confusion with SKCL Green. Who's with me? :)
Yes, I agree

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Mar 2016, 10:59

Yep.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

02 Mar 2016, 11:05

I agree with you!

ReleaseCandidate

02 Mar 2016, 11:49

Too late. You shall _not_ change name that is already established (well, you can, but be prepared to get kicked in the nuts - like that guy that called the SGI keyboards 'bigfoots' if I ever get hold of him).

scottc

02 Mar 2016, 12:09

"That guy" who was probably the foremost authority on Alps weirdness on DT and the biggest wiki contributor to date... :roll:

ReleaseCandidate

02 Mar 2016, 12:20

scottc wrote: "That guy" who was probably the foremost authority on Alps weirdness on DT and the biggest wiki contributor to date... :roll:
I know, but that doesn't matter at all.

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Mar 2016, 12:23

It doesn't?

In a situation where Alps sliders display a legitimate color difference, an authority on Alps switches endorses the idea, and the new name is damn cool without changing a jot of other information, your opposition seems deliberately and pointlessly contrarian.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Mar 2016, 12:26

For the sake of avoiding common confusion with SKCL Green this makes sense, but let's have some options for that name please. "Neon" is pretty new school shitty disco fluff sounding.
ReleaseCandidate wrote:
scottc wrote: "That guy" who was probably the foremost authority on Alps weirdness on DT and the biggest wiki contributor to date... :roll:
I know, but that doesn't matter at all.
Oh really?
Last edited by seebart on 02 Mar 2016, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Mar 2016, 12:30

SKCM Light Green
SKCM Neon Green
SKCM Vomit Green
SKCM Bright Green
SKCM Booger Green
SKCM Envy Green
SKCM Radioactive Green

I could go on, but I won't.

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 12:32

SKCM Neon Green
SKCM Light Green
SKCM Bright Green
SKCM Neo Green
SKCM Pale Green
SKCM Greener
SKCM Chyros Green :mrgreen:

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 13:03

seebart wrote: SKCM Chyros Green :mrgreen:
I support this proposal Image .

Although Nubs used the term "neon green" when he discovered the switch :p . Of course, you can have the wiki redirect "SKCM Green" to whatever we choose to rename it. But rename it we must, I think. Lots of switches got renamed, including in the wiki, so why not this one?

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 13:17

Just for good manner I think I contact the mothership about this just to see if I get a response...I bet they have old product specs that we will never get but hey it's worth a try...

http://www.alps.com/e/common/inquiry.html

ReleaseCandidate

02 Mar 2016, 13:33

ohaimark wrote: In a situation where Alps sliders display a legitimate color difference, an authority on Alps switches endorses the idea, and the new name is damn cool without changing a jot of other information, your opposition seems deliberately and pointlessly contrarian.
SKCL and SKCM green have been called 'green' (actually rather 'linear' and 'tactile' green) before most of you even have been born. So yes, it doesn't matter at all.
New names for new stuff is OK, but please restrain from renaming old, long established ones to avoid confusion - or prepare getting kicked in the nuts!

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 13:41

Your posts have a snazzy punk to them you might want to filter down a little. Many of us were born before Alps SKCL / SKCM even existed! How do you know my age, or any age? And nobody is getting "getting kicked in the nuts" here either. You have not been around here very long here I see.

Topre Enthusiast

02 Mar 2016, 13:51

I don't think they should be renamed either to be honest. Their characteristics alone (linear vs tactile) ought to be enough for someone to figure out which is which. There are other colours that exist in both the SKCL and SKCM lines (brown, cream) so if we were to start referring to the SKCM as Neon Green, shouldn't we be giving the other colours some distinct names too?

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 14:03

002 wrote: if we were to start referring to the SKCM as Neon Green, shouldn't we be giving the other colours some distinct names too?
That's kind of my point, all of them already do except for Neon Green :p .

Also ReleaseCandidate cool your tits! It's just a name :p .

Topre Enthusiast

02 Mar 2016, 14:10

Chyros wrote: all of them already do except for Neon Green
Maybe I missed something but I am not sure what you mean by that :?

wiki/Alps_SKCL_Brown
wiki/Alps_SKCL_Cream
wiki/Alps_SKCM_Brown
wiki/Alps_SKCM_Cream

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 14:16

We don't even have the "new greens" in our wiki yet, stop calling them neon green please Chyros until we can agree on a name. I just don't like "neon". How does the slider color compare to Alps SKCL Green? Who's got both on hand for color comparison?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

02 Mar 2016, 14:20

I'm 100% behind what 002 said. Seebart, I'll see if I have both.

Topre Enthusiast

02 Mar 2016, 14:21

Some pics (including comparison) here:
keyboards-f2/xerox-with-tactile-green-alps-t8461.html

I admit I have done no research at all here but given that the SKCM green is rare, could it be simply variance in the dye or whatever or do we have enough real-world examples to say that the colour difference is intentional?

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 14:23

Yeah looking at this the slider color really has some "neonness" to it. Hmm...
Kz27sZ4.jpg
Kz27sZ4.jpg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 17419 times

Khers

02 Mar 2016, 14:24

I'm also behind 002 on this.

Had both been SKCLs or SKCMs, I'd have agreed that calling both greens would have been confusing. Since one is SKCL and the other is SKCM, however, I don't see the point of renaming them tbh.

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 14:43

002 wrote:
Chyros wrote: all of them already do except for Neon Green
Maybe I missed something but I am not sure what you mean by that :?

wiki/Alps_SKCL_Brown
wiki/Alps_SKCL_Cream
wiki/Alps_SKCM_Brown
wiki/Alps_SKCM_Cream
The colour in SKCL and SKCM browns and creams is quite comparable if not exactly the same. The two shades of green of SKCL and SKCM green are completely different. From what Daniel Beardsmore told me it's not even sure SKCL and SKCM actually stand for linear and tactile.

Seebart; if you want an idea of what the slider colour of SKCM green is, look up "malachite" under shades of green on wikipedia, that captures it fairly closely. Cameras never seem to be able to shot the right colour, probably because they try to compensate for the intensely bright colour.

Topre Enthusiast

02 Mar 2016, 14:48

My issue with simply comparing the slider colour is that if you look at the example above, it's not just the slider that's completely different, it's the housing as well. Honestly I reckon that when the masterminds behind the colours at Alps discussed this, the conversation would have went something like:

"Should we make this one green?"
"Yeah, mate. Sounds good!"

Not like:

"Should we make this one green?"
"Actually you know what...lets make it malachite!"

I guess the point I'm trying to make is...do Alps even acknowledge the colour of the switches. Is it even that important or is it the switch components that are important and the distinguishing factor between variants?

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 14:51

Right but "malachite" sounds utterly shit. Yes the camera colors vs. real life color problem has been pissing me off for years. The SKCM Blue sliders in my NTC KB 6151 look almost purple in real life. In my Focus the blue sliders are a tiny bit lighter blue. I bet Alps Electric gave a shit about the consistency of the slider colors vs. the switch internals.

I could also imagine that the different slider colors had something to do with the production logistics foremost. Simple visual distinction for sorting along the production process or something similair. No keyboard user ever pulled keycaps in the 1980's or 90's. I remember typing on AEK 2's plenty in the 1990's and obviously not thinking about the keyboard internals.

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 15:35

seebart wrote: Right but "malachite" sounds utterly shit.
Indeed, hence why I suggested neon green instead :p . I just used malachite to give you an indication of what the colour is actually like in the flesh. SKCL green looks almost vomit-coloured, especially by comparison. It appears that Alps always went for some weird off-colour; their pink looks like salmon or vice versa, orange is a very dirty almost red, yellow is very very desaturated, almost like piss but when you've had a fair amount of vitamin C recently.

Maybe "Alps SKCL piss", "Alps SKCM failed pink", "Alps SKCL vomit" and "Alps SKCM not quite red" would make good changes too Image .
No keyboard user ever pulled keycaps in the 1980's or 90's. I remember typing on AEK 2's plenty in the 1990's and obviously not thinking about the keyboard internals.
Some manufacturers like Northgate encouraged it! They provided keycap pullers and alternate-layout caps you could stick on yourself. IBM possibly intended the same with their two-par keycap design.

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 15:57

Chyros wrote: Maybe "Alps SKCL piss", "Alps SKCM failed pink", "Alps SKCL vomit" and "Alps SKCM not quite red" would make good changes too
Nope! Pay more respect to the mighty Alps SKCM:

SKCM Light Royal Green
SKCM The Green Lantern
SKCM A Paler Shade Of Green
SKCM Fifty Shades Of Green
SKCM Greenskeeper
SKCM MrGreen

:mrgreen:

Chyros

02 Mar 2016, 18:52

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: Maybe "Alps SKCL piss", "Alps SKCM failed pink", "Alps SKCL vomit" and "Alps SKCM not quite red" would make good changes too
Nope! Pay more respect to the mighty Alps SKCM:

SKCM Light Royal Green
SKCM The Green Lantern
SKCM A Paler Shade Of Green
SKCM Fifty Shades Of Green
SKCM Greenskeeper
SKCM MrGreen

:mrgreen:
You know I love Alps really Image .

seebart

02 Mar 2016, 21:11

I know you do Chyros, anyone watching your reviews can tell, like so often I was kidding.

But this
8I_zpsbycv6wwp.gif
8I_zpsbycv6wwp.gif (1.02 KiB) Viewed 17329 times
is ugly as hell. Come on man use some other smiley.

Here's kbdfr's smiley source:

http://cosgan.de/index.php

And we still have not gotten any further in our green Alps SKCM situation. I'd love to get my hands on some old Alps SKCM product catalogs. I think I will send them an official DT request, I wonder if Daniel Beardsmore ever tried that.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”