10%
Green
21%
other (specify)
7%

Total votes: 29

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 15:32

Good point seebart, Jade does create a very good distinction. I agree with you there. Amber executes this well in the same way.

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 19:53

What about Lime? SKCM Green is closer to Lime in colour than Jade, no? If it is a fairly bright green then you want to capture that, Jade is not bright. Neon Green is nice, but it's two words.

I haven't seen the switch in person so it's hard for me to judge, check out this nifty colour comparison.

Jade vs Malachite vs Lime vs Neon Green:

http://colors.findthedata.com/compare/1 ... Neon-Green

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

07 Mar 2016, 19:55

Jade feels very wrong to me.

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 20:04

Lime is actually really good too :D .

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 20:08

Tuntematon wrote: What about Lime? SKCM Green is closer to Lime in colour than Jade, no? If it is a fairly bright green then you want to capture that, Jade is not bright. Neon Green is nice, but it's two words.

I haven't seen the switch in person so it's hard for me to judge, check out this nifty colour comparison.

Jade vs Malachite vs Lime vs Neon Green:

http://colors.findthedata.com/compare/1 ... Neon-Green

I don't find them to look very "Lime" green in the traditional sense of the color (the green that limes are, or from what I remember, can be much darker and so it would match them I guess), and that just makes me think of some lime taquilas or something, but hey. :P

If the people want Lime, give them Lime! I'm cool with Neons, to be honest. Jade is cool but does sound rather exotic (but then, doesn't Amber too?).

I like Jade for its similarity to Amber, Emerald as well.

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 20:38

I'm glad you like it Chyros!

Lime can be pretty dark sometimes, there is a wide range. I think people usually associate Lime with bright. If Malachite is supposed to be close then I don't see how Jade is any good at all. Choosing Jade would simply be choosing some random shade of green that sounds nice, right? The colour should be in the ballpark at least and carry the right association.

Big-ass swatch of official Lime (#32CD32):
Spoiler:
Lime  Green.png
Lime Green.png (173 Bytes) Viewed 6514 times
As for my previous point about redundancy, E3E, I don't think it's that confusing, people just need to learn their Periodic Table of Alps. SKCM Green is rare anyway, so it's not a common topic. But since Alps decided to use a different colour why not have fun with it? Colours are fun!

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 20:48

Oh, it is defintiely fun. :P Yeah, it's that bright association that sways me. I think Emerald would be the closest to the color of these switches, but people dislike it for some reason. :P There are hues of Jade that seem to match well and it also goes well with the blotchy dye job of the later swtiches.

I'm cool with Lime if people want it! Haha. It's gonna be flavor of the day until we just pick one! XD

Alps SKCM Lime

Not bad.

Alps SKCM Jade (testing for visual appeal and written satisfaction)

Hmmm... I like Lime.

Alps SKCM Emerald

I like the look of this name

Alps SKCM Neon Green

TWO SEPARATE WORDS NOPE

I actually like Lime and Emerald a lot.

To be fair, I had no idea a debate on this was going to happen; After my restoration, I was just going to update the wiki with the name "Alps SKCM Neon Green" as it was a commonly used term.

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 21:39

Hmm, so...

Lime: accurate enough, short, visceral, feel-good. The obvious choice even, to me it feels right.

Emerald: accurate enough, many syllables (if you're not into the whole brevity thing), whimsical, visceral, nice association: rare, precious gemstone --> rare, precious Alps switch

Neon Green: accurate enough, visceral, but two words is maybe a deal-breaker?

Jade: GTFO!

Green: still a sensible choice, but the name change movement appears to have momentum.

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Mar 2016, 21:51

Lime is my new top contender.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Mar 2016, 22:18

"Lime" is good, better than "Emerald" or "Jade"! Not so fancy schmancy. Best proposal yet.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Mar 2016, 22:30

I called it "lime" in the last thread and nobody said a peep so I figured it was out.

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 22:31

snuci wrote: I called it "lime" in the last thread and nobody said a peep so I figured it was out.
Sorry I missed that. "Lime" is great. Simple, distinct and short. Perfect.

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 22:36

snuci wrote: I called it "lime" in the last thread and nobody said a peep so I figured it was out.
Hmm, didn't see that, I didn't know there was another thread on this topic. Lime is great right? :D

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Mar 2016, 22:39

Tuntematon wrote:
Hmm, didn't see that, I didn't know there was another thread on this topic. Lime is great right? :D
It was in the Great/Interesting Finds thread... "These keyboards are a little more interesting then their lime green key switches."

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 22:44

E3E needs to update that vote then.

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 22:56

snuci wrote:
Tuntematon wrote:
It was in the Great/Interesting Finds thread... "These keyboards are a little more interesting then their lime green key switches."
I remember this!

LIME LIME LIME TIME

IT'S LIME TIME!

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 22:58

E3E wrote:
LIME LIME LIME TIME

IT'S LIME TIME!
:o U alright man?

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 23:00

seebart wrote:
E3E wrote:
LIME LIME LIME TIME

IT'S LIME TIME!
:o U alright man?
I'm sooo ready to give this an official name, and if people are taking to Lime, I'm all for it, haha. :lol:

Also in quite the good mood thanks to finishing up the restorations and getting a new board in (the KB101A) as well as some banter with friends. :P

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 23:01

Cool. :P I'm all for "Lime". Yeah I'm pretty happy also I got that Olympia Fujitsu board today.

Chyros

08 Mar 2016, 00:11

Yeah let's do Lime. We all seem to be in favour of that pretty much xD .

E3E

08 Mar 2016, 15:56

Yeah, I was pretty reminded of Limes when I snapped this picture. I'm digging it. :D

Chyros

08 Mar 2016, 18:49

Yeah lime is probably the best one.

GOO FER ET

nubbinator

17 Apr 2016, 21:37

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote: SKCM Chyros Green :mrgreen:
I support this proposal Image .

Although Nubs used the term "neon green" when he discovered the switch :p . Of course, you can have the wiki redirect "SKCM Green" to whatever we choose to rename it. But rename it we must, I think. Lots of switches got renamed, including in the wiki, so why not this one?
I didn't see this was a thread until now.

I'm behind the Neon Green name as they really are a distinct color. I'll go ahead and claim naming rights as the discoverer and say that they should be called Neon Green.

E3E

18 Apr 2016, 08:48

Oh no, the pot has been stirred again!

SKCM Lime or SKCM Neon Green. I'm fine with either.

It should be called "the Alps SKCM switch which cannot be named."

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”