Cherry MX Silver/Speed Stem

timerwin63

08 May 2016, 12:14

I'm not sure if anyone wants this info, or if this is even the right place for it, but I've got some shoddy (cell phone + bad lighting :cry:) pictures of the stem in an MX Speed or MX Silver switch. Corsair was giving away keychains at their PAX East booth and I thought it'd be fun to have one. I can write a short write-up of my opinions, although it's hard to tell with only one switch.
Spoiler:
The higher actuation point is a result of a steeper slope on the legs:

The legs are a hair thinner than the Blacks I have:

There's more material on the backside of the stem. Not sure why:

A better shot of the "bumpers" that give the switch it's shorter travel:

The Silver (blue/gray cap) bottomed out next to a Black (green/grey cap):
The switch housing and spring were identical to the Red I had on-hand, so I didn't bother taking pictures of them.

Edit: Made sure all the pictures were oriented similarly and cleaned up the post a bit.
Last edited by timerwin63 on 08 May 2016, 16:42, edited 3 times in total.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

08 May 2016, 13:32

Thank you for the pictures, I was really curious how they look.

keycap

23 May 2016, 18:01

The material looks even rougher yet. When will Cherry learn? :(

timerwin63

23 May 2016, 22:52

keycap wrote: The material looks even rougher yet. When will Cherry learn? :(
Apparently never :roll:

Keep in mind that while these are by no means smooth, they're no worse than the new Blacks and Browns I have on hand. Part of what you're seeing is the reflective nature of the silver plastic. I'm hoping to get my hands on my friend's Mark III and some actual "studio-class" in the next couple of days to get some more detailed pictures. The ones included in this post are mediocre at best and it's difficult to get much clearer images with my limited lighting and old phone.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”