IBM Buckling Spring Keyboard

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Sep 2016, 22:49

I just want to get this discusson started so I try to keep my point short and simple.

Very few of the iconic IBM keyboards (Model M & F mainly) have proper wiki pages of their own. Especially the more common ones have such a rich history and sometimes come in various revisions and versions that a full wiki page makes sense. This would also be the perfect place to collect these magic article numbers and try to add some details to them.

I'm no IBM expert myself and am hoping for support from others :)

Keyboards I would like to start a wiki page about are:
IBM Model F Bigfoot (Soarer Controller instructions!)
IBM Model F XT

I will do the best I can to put together some facts and pictures for those keyboards but additional input is highly welcome. Other keyboards that really deserve their own page are the F122 and the Unsaver as well as the Model F AT.

The wiki page of the IBM ENHANCED KEYBOARD is a great example of how this could look. I really love the list of noteworthy part numbers. That list is missing in the SSK article (anyone ?)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Nov 2016, 18:07

So far no objections, I have created a page for the IBM Model F XT and am looking for feedback. Any information previously existing in the wiki has been migrated to the new article.

Chyros

10 Nov 2016, 18:43

Nice, looking good so far, thanks for contributing! Pretty sure the spacebar is 9.75 u rather than 10 though, and some of the underscores are still showing. I'd rename "known variants" to "known part numbers", too.

By the way, does anyone happen to know the part number for the UK model?

elecplus

10 Nov 2016, 21:05

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
List of IBM keyboards with PN and description for most of them. 4 tabs at the bottom for SSK, M, F, and Beam Springs.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

14 Jan 2017, 22:11

The intention was to create dedicated pages per keyboard, unfortunately I did not get the time to create ones. Glad to see some ones are being created.

belowgeek

02 Mar 2017, 14:47

I really want to see a dedicated page for the said keyboards. It still haunts me that I wasn't able to fully utilize the IBM "M" keyboard that my mom used to have in her office.:/ Didn't know what mechanical keyboards were back then.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”