Keyboard families, history and names

Findecanor

06 Nov 2016, 01:55

Last week, I reorganized the article for Razer BlackWidow.
It is now not just one keyboard but a line and a range - all named "BlackWidow". Revisions have usually been made to the entire generation over the entire range.
I sectioned it up into Form factors (classic, TE, X), Feature variations (normal, ultimate, chroma, stealth...), and History.

I am considering doing something similar for Kinesis' contoured keyboards. All of them have had Cherry MX (for the main keys anyway), the same shell, layout and (AFAIK) the same keycaps.
The variations have been relatively minor (mostly controller and interface). Unlike the BlackWidow, range Kinesis' line of keyboards have had different names: Classic, Ergo Elan, Essential, Professional, Advantage (Pro, LF), Advantage2 (QD, Silver, LF, Graphite).
So far, we have only one page for the series: Kinesis Advantage. This year it was succeeded by the Advantage2.

But what should we call the page, and how should it be categorized? I would like to do something lasting that would set a precedent for future pages.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Nov 2016, 08:14

Maybe we could keep the "Kinesis Advantage" and redirect all the other variations to it?

Findecanor

09 Nov 2016, 02:21

I renamed in Kinesis Contoured because that is what the Essential, Classic and Professional are called together in a User's manual I found. It is also a trademark owned by Kinesis.
I also found that most, if not all, of the contoured Kinesis keyboards use the same series of serial numbers... even over generations and model numbers.

I could not find any good info on many older models though:
- Kinesis Ergo Elan
- Kinesis Ergo Elite
- Kinesis Natural... Does it exist?

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”